300 ultra project

rangerxp

I just got my Remington 700 SPS the other day and was wondering what are the first couple of things I should do to it to trick it out a little for some long range shooting. I will get another barrel after I wear out the factory one, so that's not an issue right now. I thought about a trigger job and a muzzle brake. Do you guys agree? If so, what brands should I look at? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Doug

Trigger job, and brake. I would say bedding, but that is going to be difficult on the plastic SPS stock. Buy a good used wood or you can bet a takeoff Sendaro for $150 or so.

For the money, Harrells is great brake ($35 on BR central) and so is the Holland ($65). The Harrells is widely used in the BR community and they are looking for the most reduction. Money is normally not an object on a $3000 gun, but the Harrells is one of the most common due to its high efficiancy,. You can spend more for sure, but will not be able to tell the difference except on the Internet blogs.

BH

Definately trigger job, if you want then a muzzle brake. I never had a brake on my 300 RUM and I used it at LR with good success. Just dont expect to see your own hits. If you want to see your own hits though, a brake is a must. I never did glass bed or free float my barrel, but if yours doesn't shoot, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to do that. Last thing is to get a nice accurate handload and start practicing.

I had Kirby change out the striker assembly, install a Holland brake. I changed out the trigger to a Rifle Basics set at 1lb.

To do over again, I would go with Shawn's brake, a good after market trigger, Stricker assembly, and skim bed the factory stock. Mine just happened to shoot good without bedding the stock,

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.