.300 Ultra Mag vs. 7mm Ultra Mag

you need to make sure you are comparing bullets with a similar b.c. thats were you differences are coming from. from 0-600 yards sheer velocity will win, but from 600 on the b.c of the bullet will win the race every time for same starting velocitys.

I too would recomend the 300 over the 7mm just because there are so many more good quality longrange bullets for it. I have never liked limiting myself to a few bullet choices.

JM2CW

[ QUOTE ]
I have they are pretty close from 0 to 400 yards with the 300 RUM having the upper hand, but once you go past 400 yards the 300 RUM drops more and more in fps and energy and the 7mm RUM starts to really shine.

[/ QUOTE ]

On paper yes the 7 always wins past certain yardages. In the real world sometimes it isnt quite as simple.

PLEASE understand, I am not dogging the 7mm RUM or any 7mm. Both the 7 RUM and the 300 RUM have outstanding qualities.

Take for example one of my awesome loads for the 300 RUM, a scorcher of a deer and varmint load. Its a 178 AMAX on top of 93.0 grains of RL-25. Velocity is 3450 FPS using bullets coated in tungsten disulfide. Published BC is .495
Plug all those numbers into a ballistic calculator it wikll tell you this:

The bullet in standard air will drop 186" at 1K from a 300 yard zero with 1131 FPE remaining.

The 7 mm RUM with a 162Grain AMAX at 3450 FPS (thats generous) with a published BC of .625 will drop (according to a calculator) 160" with 1433 FPE remaining. Ready for the catch?

In real world experiments and tests my 300 RUM launching the 178 AMAX at not 3450 but 3100 FPS kicks the living crap out of the 7mm RUM.

Here are the results:

88' ASL
26 degrees F.
29.61 in HG.
77% RH.

-169" 1826 FPE remaining.

If I were to use me next load up (same bullet at 3300 FPS) the calculator would say:
-147" 2117 FPE remaining.

Will the AMAX in 7mm do the same? I have no idea. Like I said, I am not here to dog the 7mm's just that I belive the 300 does better than alot of folks give it credit for. I am simply pointing out that the 300 RUM can be a MAJOR contender for those LOOOONG shots with a bigger bullet to boot.

Bottom line, choose the one that makes you feel good all over. You cant go wrong with either.

The only thing the 7 RUM might win in is retained velocity and less trajectory. However, I'll try a little ballistics comparison for ya. Shooting the 210g VLD at 3100fps with a BC of .640 you will have somewhere around these numbers at 1000 yards. 1494lbs energy, 1790fps, 54.5 inches of wind drift with 10 MPH, and zero at 200 yards, the drop is -219. Now for the 7 RUM and the 162g AMAX. 1405lbs energy, 1976fps, 49.1 wind drift, and -181 with 200 yard zero. ****, why didn't I get the 7 RUM??? Considering you can get 3400fps with the 162g AMAX. Those numbers beat the pants off the 300 RUM in velocity retained and trajectory. HOwever, trajectory is a moot point with come up clicks. the 7 RUM also beats the wind by 5 inches, again not much, but hey, the only advantage I see is the 300 RUM beats it by about 90 lbs of energy which is not even a .22 LR. You cant go wrong with either though, both are outstanding LR calibers.

Thanks for everybody's help. After plugging some more numbers last night and after realizing that there are more bullet choices for the 300 RUM, I am leaning that way. I was kinda leaning that that way anyway due to the fact that I am a big 300 Win Mag fan, but I was wondering if the 7mm RUM was as good as the numbers showed.

Again thanks for all your help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not really sure comparing a 7mm 162 vs a 30 cal 210 VLD is a good comparison.

The 210 VLD and 240 SMK are the top bullets BC wise for the 30 cal, while the 162 in 7mm is no where near tops in 7mm.

If we go to the 7mm, look at the Sierra 175 SMK and the 180 gr 7mms.

If you will do that, think you will find that the 7mm has a lot of advantage except in pure bullet mass and KE.

BH

Don't forget the 7mm 200gn Wildcat RBBT. If you run this bullet at 3100 fps with a B.C. of anywhere between .64 and up its rather astounding.

Mag,i don't know where you're getting 3100 from a 7UM, but shooting the most accurate loads from mine, the 180 bergers will arive at 1k faster than the 200 wildcats.

The 200gr WC will have a lot higher bc than .64!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just ask SS7mm, i would recommend going with the 7mm as long as your throat it for the 200gr WC, if not go with the 300 rum and spit some 180gr Accubonds out of it, or I hear richard graves may be making some more 30cal bullets

take it easy
steve

[ QUOTE ]
go with the 300. easier to load for,less finicky,a little more killing power.you're really not talking much difference here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur! Especially if you load hunting bullets and not all this target stuff for real life hunting comparisons.

Example: If you're gonna hunt elk what good is a comparison with 162 7mm and 178 30 cal A-Max bullets?

I agree with you about the 300 having more killing power with common hunting bullets.
But what about the 7mm with the 200gr wildcat, with a BC above .9 the retained energy would be amazing, and the new bullets are built on a very stiff jacket

steve

what if your 7mm barrell doesnt shoot well with the 200 grain wildcats? what will you shoot? what about all the freebore? What if richard decides he is tired of making bullets? Then what? this is why i try not build a gun around one bullet.

Thats why a 300 rum would with a freebore for @ a 200-210 bullet would be better a better choice. it would allow the 168- 240 grain to be seated in the lands.

JM2CW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

d-a

[ QUOTE ]
If you're gonna hunt elk what good is a comparison with 162 7mm and 178 30 cal A-Max bullets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The 200 ACCUBOND with its heavy weight 0.308" diameter high BC and ability to expand good and yet not explode makes it an AWESOME big game killer even at long range.

Not sure about the 200 7mm wild cat bullet. Anyone care to share its hunting qualities??

The 200 AB load I use delivers 3/4" groups at 300 yards and using coated bullets I get 3300 FPS with the 200 AB. That puts me right at -183" in standard air with 1472 FPE at 1K. With the size and frontal area of this bullet coupled with its weigh length and SD it is an exceptional 650 yard moose thumper (proven).

PS,

If one to were use a 200 7mm bullet on moose at 650 yards, provided the bullet has good terminal performance, it would devestate the moose just as easy.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're gonna hunt elk what good is a comparison with 162 7mm and 178 30 cal A-Max bullets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The 200 ACCUBOND with its heavy weight 0.308" diameter high BC and ability to expand good and yet not explode makes it an AWESOME big game killer even at long range.

Not sure about the 200 7mm wild cat bullet. Anyone care to share its hunting qualities??

The 200 AB load I use delivers 3/4" groups at 300 yards and using coated bullets I get 3300 FPS with the 200 AB. That puts me right at -183" in standard air with 1472 FPE at 1K. With the size and frontal area of this bullet coupled with its weigh length and SD it is an exceptional 650 yard moose thumper (proven).

PS,

If one to were use a 200 7mm bullet on moose at 650 yards, provided the bullet has good terminal performance, it would devestate the moose just as easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you cate them with (process?) and what is your load?

Big D, go with 300 RUM. My friend was trying to decide between the 300 and 7mm RUM. He went with the 300 RUM and he is very glad that he picked it over the 7mm. Good Luck, Wildcat.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.