.300 Ultra Mag vs. 7mm Ultra Mag

Hey, I'm new to the forums today. I actually joined because of this thread, as I am having a similar dilemma. I can't decide between the .300 RUM and the 7mm RUM, and with so many people having actually shot them I thought it would be a good place to get advice.

Most of my shots where I normally hunt are 60 yards or less, but I also get pretty frequent shot opportunities at 200 yards or so. Obviously, both of these guns are significantly more powerful than I need, but I've always been a fan of overkill, and I also want an ultra magnum for collecting reasons. I'm not concerned with kick, I'm a big guy and I go to the range routinely and put 2 boxes of 3 inch magnums through my 12 gauge.
A couple places that I've come across on the internet while comparing these two calibers mention that the Ultra mags are a little inaccurate at close range. Does this have any truth to it?
Also, how expensive are the magnum rifles. I only really have $1000 dollars at most to spend right now, can I even get an ultra mag for that much? I'm more than willing to buy used.
Finally, does anyone make a pump action rifle chambered for either of these calibers?

BigD's,

I like 180's so I went with the 300 RUM... two of my buddies had 300's and went to 7 RUM because they get a little better ballistics out of it with 160gr... A third friend even went back to 300 WM because he said that there was not enough gain by having a RUM over a WM... he shoots a lot more than I do. I have debated both but I just like a 30 cal over a 7mm. The 7mm 160 smokes my 300 180's and I have a little more drop at 500 yds than they do but all in all, they are both excellent choices. Recoil is about the same on both to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.