.300 Ultra Mag vs. 7mm Ultra Mag

Agreed. 7 mm are great, but if you talk about heavy game, a heavier and wider bullet is the way to go. Not that a 7 mm won´t kill big deer also, but when talking about terminal performance you can´t go just decide based on the energy output.

Just take a 416 rem and look for a smaller bore cartridge that will yield the same energy.. would you use both to shoot a buffalo?

I had the same exact dilemma and have gone the way of the 300 rum.

[ QUOTE ]
it makes perfect sense to me.what i think he's saying is the stw is a more consistant,predictable, and accurate cartridge than the rum, especially at longer ranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank You Dave, thats exactly what I'm saying.

[ QUOTE ]
i was thinking the same thing. the 7 rum whoops an stw. and has no belt to deal with, so should theoretically be more accurate. dont really think there is a fair comparison of the 2 cartridges. the STW is no doubt a great round, but its just like what the stw is to the 7 mag, as the 7 rum is to the stw. its the granddaddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe the 7rum is as superior to the STW as the STW is to the 7 rem mag. The 7RUM is only slightly faster.

3425 vs. 3325 with a 140 grain pill.
In percentages it $1 vs. 97 Cents.
I'm sure that gap will narrow with 160's

The RUM case is highly inefficient and pressures build up quickly.

The 200gr uld is not a match bullet, they are built on a heavy Sauter jacket and I bet they would stand up to a hell of a thump.

steve

Yes, people should not dismiss Richard's bullets as "target bullets." They are designed for hunting. If you want something tougher than the RBBT ULD's he can leave them a flatbase and bond them. He's actually working on a process to bond the RBBT's as well so it's possible they'll be available in the future.

He does make some that are thin jacketed and will do some impressive expanding on contact. The 169.5 ulds I use for my 270AM are a very heavy jacket and will hold up great on impact. THe 7mm 200gr that is currently being made is also built on a very heavy jacket.

steve

One of us shooting the ULD's should shoot them into wet newspaper. Thats how I usually test my bullets expantion, penetration, weight retention. I never did get a chance to shoot my 125g uld rbbt's into newspaper. I wished I would have though to see how they stackd up to the others. I found that the 200g and 220g smk's give mixed results. Out of 3 fired into wet nespaper at 100 yards, 1 expanded, but it was seperated from the jacket and the lead core fell out, the other 2 bullets simply bent and misformed a little. They do penetrate quite a bit though.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, people should not dismiss Richard's bullets as "target bullets." They are designed for hunting. If you want something tougher than the RBBT ULD's he can leave them a flatbase and bond them. He's actually working on a process to bond the RBBT's as well so it's possible they'll be available in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can one get more info?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonding the RB´BT is good news.
I´m waiting for a batch of 175 RBBT for my 7 rm. Will try on game asap.

This is an awesome thread. No real competetive arguing just making good points. I think what we have done here is made note that these 2 awesome cartridges are both capable of some amazing things. Its going to boil down to the age old argument Ford vs Chevy. I really think about 1/2 the guys here are for the 300 and about 1/2 for the 7mm. Most here feel very strongly about one or the other yet no one is fighting about it. Thats cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ya gotta love those RUM's!

[ QUOTE ]
Where can one get more info?

[/ QUOTE ]

[email protected]

He's very busy building Lerch and I bullets right now, so it may take him a while to get back to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but he will.

for the record, i think a chevy would be better out to 1k! also for the record, i have a 7rum with a lilja 30" 7T. i'm taking it off and building a 33 cal.

Meichele, I agree. This is a great thread. I guess the one thing everyone does agree on is that either way he is going be eating some meat if he hits his target!

I think the 7rum is a great cartridge, mainly because I love the 7mm bullets. There are so many with high BC's and heavy wieghts all it takes is enough powder behind them to get em going. I have just heard some people saying the 7rum is kinda picky and can be a pain some times. Then again what would this hobby be without challenges.

I also like the 300rum, hell it is the cartdige that got me started in LRH. The only time I have ever been disapointed with it was with BJ's shooting the 240smk at about 1650yds. His gun will shoot lights out but at about 1600yds or so, right where it goes subsonic with that bullet, he would lose most of his consistancy. Now we only tried this one time and I definantly think the round deserves more than one chance at this range. I just assumed this round/bullet combo would be a killer at 1 mile

Like you said Meichele, good conversation, both of em are great rounds

take it easy
steve

Yeah, as much as I love the 240 SMK, a much, much better LR bullet can be made. With a little more weight and a true ULD nose profile you'll have a bullet that will simply blow the 240 SMK away for BC.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.