300 SAUM load advice.

Casey Napier

Could y'all please help me with some load information for my new rifle. I just traded for a Sendero 300 SAUM, and know nothing about the cartridge. I looked back 40 pages and could not find any load advice.
Thanks
RidgeRooster

Tell me what kind of bullets you want to shoot, and I'll hook you up with all the loads that work in my two 300 RSAUMs or shoot me an email sewwhat89 @ yahoo.com.

sewwhat, Ive also have a sendero 300 saum I just got back from Kirby.Im planning on trying the 180 and 200 MKs.The chamber was throated deeper so the 180 doesnt have to be seated past the bottom of the neck,its also closer to a minimum spec chamber.
Any recommendations for these?

sewwhat89, I would like to work up a load for 180 grain bullets either BT's, Scirocco's, SST's. I am not apposed to going heavier or lighter. This rifle will mainly be used here in KY for whitetail, and we are also planning on a praire goat hunt next Aug. where I may need to ring it out a bit.
Thanks
RidgeRooster

I have had horrible luck with the 190 SMKs, because of the seating depth issue (that's what I blamed it on). Varget has been the best powder in both of mine for bullets 175 grs and lighter. I shoot the 185 gr Berger VLDs instead of the SMKs for their better bc and because I can load them in my factory chamber into the lands with the top of the BT at the shoulder/neck junction. They just work perfectly. I went up to 64 gr H4350, but pressures got a bit iffy. The load I settled in on is 60 gr of H4350 with the 185 gr Berger VLDs. That gets me 2900 fps with them. I shoot the 175 gr SMKs with 53.5 gr Varget or the 178 gr AMAX with 54 grs Varget which net 2880-2920 for the SMKs and 2820-2860 for the AMAX, depending on the ambient temps. From my hunting nook across a creek bottom to another ridgeline about 400 yards away, the SMKs print about 4" higher.

I played with primers to tighten up the groups with the 185s. I tried BR2s, WLR, RP9.5M, GM210M and WLRM primers. Personally, I have always had the best groups and usually velocity with the RP9.5M primers.

Its my opinion, but I think they are the idea primers for about 60 gr of powder. On the average of all my rifles, BR2s work the best under powder charges of about 38-45 grs, WLR are in the 50-60 range, RP9.5Ms seem to take over up to around 75 grs where WLRM and 215s take over. To throw some mud into this, my 300WM shoots 81gr H1000 and 175 gr SMKs into 0.5" groups at 200m with the BR2s. When I tried the RP9.5Ms, groups opened to 1". 'Hotter' primers made things worse and put me into pressure signs.

On the 200 SMKs, I think H4350 will still be your best bet. You should be able to hold 2800 fps with them or better since you have a min-spec chamber. FWIW, my factory chamber is pretty dang close to min-spec best I can measure. Best of luck! I am interested to see what you are able to work up.

For the 180s, you are in a transition zone for me. I can get very close performance with both Varget and H4350 in the 180 class bullet. I switch gears between 175 gr SMKs with Varget to H4350 with 185 gr Berger VLDs. For the goats, you may want to consider playing with some of the Bergers. They would work out great on them.

60gr H4350 185 Berger VLD RP9.5M
54gr Varget 178 AMAX RP9.5M

I have not shot any 180s in my rifles except the factory loaded NPs which shot at 3220 fps out of my Sendero. That tops what my 300 WM can do with my best handloads. All I know, when handloaders get their hands on what RP is dumping in their shortmags . . . it will be a glorious day! During breakin, I put 9 rounds of 165gr CoreLokts into a 0.790" hole (0.482 ctc) launching at an average velocity of 34xx fps. I can only dream of getting my hands on that powder and load data!

Thanks very much for all the information. This will be very helpful when I start loading for this rifle. Rifle season is getting pretty close here in KY, so today I slapped a 3.5-10x40 VX3 on the Sendero(I will switch to a 6-18 VX2 during load developement) and plan on trying some factory stuff to sort of break in the barrel, and maybe get it shootin good enough to carry it a few days.
While I was cleaning my barrel this afternoon I descovered a small dent in the crown, does not look like it is effecting the rifleing, but I will not know until I shoot. I hope to be able to shoot a little sometime this week, I will let y'all know how she does.
sewwhat89, have you had any luck with R22? or IMR4350? H4350 should be pretty close right?
Thanks
RidgeRooster

I tried RL22 and IMR 4350 without any luck; however, I was trying to shoot 165s at the time. I prefer the H4350 because the kernels are a bit smaller and pack easier/better. If I remember properly, H4350 is just a slight bit slower burning than the IMR and more temp stable. RL22 may be a bit too slow burning, but I think it would be worth a try. Keep in mind that RL powders are very temp sensitive. I have chrono'd over 200 fps variance from 105F summers to 30s in Feb. Good luck with your RSAUM. I love mine!

Shot my 300 SAUM this evening, seems to have some promise. I shot some 165gr corlock factory, and some 180gr corlock ultra's, factory. Averaged around 1" at 100, with a couple of 3/4" 3 shot groups(shot with a 3.5-10x40). I know I could close the groups up quite a bit with handloads and a higher power scope.
Thanks for the load information, I will buy some H4350 and give it a try.
RidgeRooster

I just startes reloading 6 months ago for my 300 rsaum. I used 66.8 gr imr 4350 and 190 berger vld's. prints .5 groups @ 100 yards. I was very happy with that as it was my third load with these materials. i am keeping that load for the bigger stuff. I bought a lb of rl-19 with 150 gr sierra spitzers and a lb of varget and am looking forward to what I can do with that. next thing for me is a chrony. I see the need for it if i'm gonna keep reloading...... wich i am hooked!

The recipe I use is:

Bullet Nosler Partition 150gr
Powder H380 62.5gr
Primers CCI 250 Mag
Vel 3100 fps

This season my brother deer hunt a deer at 482 meters there himself falling

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K6CWecfmEY&list=UU5DD7GRM6N_i91T1ynCgS3g&index=1]Venado de Peter Garcia 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

I've been shooting 65gr RL17, Fed 210, norma brass, 3.0" OAL, Berger 168gr Hybrid,
3180fps. I'm no target shooter and although I sometimes do better, .75"@ 100m is what I can consistently produce with this load. At 500 meters i was able to stay within 2.5". 3180 is pushing the upper end and i intend to take it down a notch as the Norma brass needs sizing every second firing.

All of you have put some great info up on this thread. I might even try some 165's after getting the 150's lined out.:D:D

I just got a new 300 SAUM toy. HS Precision, Single shot pistol, 15" barrel with break.
I have been studying the load charts and what was used to break in this pistol. I'm going to start with Varget, Nosler 150grn Accubonds and Winchester Mag primers.
Nosler says they are getting 3200 fps from a 24" barrel. I hope to get close to 3000 fps from this pistol. I also will try some H4350 .
I'm mounting a new Burris 3x12 EER Ballistic Plex scope on the rig today and getting it bore sighted.
I'm excited about this rig. I have wanted one for some time and this will replace my Contender 309JDJ with 150grn Ballistic Tips and my 30-30 Ackley. Both are a PITA to load and hard on brass when pushing them.
Mike
300 SAUM in front and 7 SAUM in back of photo

HS%20Precision%20300%20amp%207%20SAUM%20-Mcmillan%20stocks-fitted%20by%20Apache%20Machinejpg_zpsgtjuppji.jpg

Recent Posts