300 Rum

srhaggerty

I just finished barrel break in on my new Rem 700 300 RUM. Time to start test loading. Can anyone help me out with some proven loads? I have 4 different tips I am going to try. 150 gr Accubonds, 168 gr A-Max, 178 gr A-Max, 180 gr Accubonds. Any help would be great.

I am not that experienced to give other people sugestions,but on my 300ultra mag i shoot
96gr of reloader25
215 fed match primers
180 accubonds
3320fps, this is a max load on my gun and it does .5 or better @100 yrds.

shooting 99grs RL 25 with 165 nosler BT in my buddies at 3650fps shooting @.75" when you can keep your head screwed on...lol . and it is max or maybe over in his but it shoots good and knocks the heck out of whitetails...
Brien

Don't wast your time with them light loads the big .300 it has plenty of horsepower to push 190gr to 220gr slug's in the 3100 to 3200 FPS range. Do a search on 300Rum you will find lots of my loads and other's>...H-870,Retumbo,R-25,h-1000,IMR7828,and R-22 are your best bets. Think slow burning and heavy... High B.C and S.D. Major Energy way out That's where it's at. Walcome to RUM world /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tommy

I was just thinking I could push a 150 so fast that it would shoot real flat. My plan was for it to be a deer load. Last night I loaded 96, 94, 92 grains of Rx22 in the 150. We shall see this weekend if it shoots.

srhaggerty,

In the 300 RUM, on those 168 gr A-Max's try 100.0 gr of Retumbo with Fed match primers. This load is running about 3400 fps - depending on barrel length. This hits like a freight train and shoots like a ****. I get 1/4" 4 shot groups at 100 yards with this load.

Another good one is 82.4 gr of H1000 on a 220 gr bullet, if you want to try out a heavier slug.

Good luck with the 300 RUM.

I am currently shooting the 169.5 WildCats w/ 104 grains of Retumbo behind them. Pushing them @ 3450 fps. This load is with moly bullets and is still a bit hot. Got a sticky bolt when I tried 105 grains. I have shot 1/2" groups @ 100 yds with this combo. Hope to try 200 and 300 this weekend.

[ QUOTE ]
Tommy
I was just thinking I could push a 150 so fast that it would shoot real flat. My plan was for it to be a deer load. Last night I loaded 96, 94, 92 grains of Rx22 in the 150. We shall see this weekend if it shoots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same plan, but you need to compare ballistics. The heavier bullets have higher BC and shoot flatter long range. If you're only shooting out to 350 yards you still want the bullet that's most accurate (and will work on the game).

I have a 300 RUM Sendero I shoot 180gr Accubond with and I'm having my other Savage 300 RUM accurized/trigger job/ holland QD + 1:12 twist Lilja barrel by Kirby. That will be shooting Senar 155gr bullets for deer, as where I got the longest shot is 700 yards.

Look at my ballistic traces

From the Nosler Reloading Guide [ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> Our technicians were surprised to find near bench-rest accuracy when medium weight bullets were teamed with IMR4350 and a Federal 215 primer </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

What is medium weight? 180?

srhaggerty,

The load that I gave you was starting to produce some high pressures in my rifle. You might want to back the load off to 92.4 gr of Retumbo. That still gave me 5/8" 4 shot 100 yard groups. Plus, it will save on the powder and the rifle wear. That and the **** thing kicks too hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

200 grain Accubond
215 federal match
92 gr of RL 25
3148 fps
Group below measures <font color="red"> .675 @ 300 yds! </font>
f7e12e92.jpg

Alucard,

I looked last night and I did 101, 99, 97. I am pretty new to reloading; what are all the pressure sign. I know about sticky bolts and the primer. What else is there? I will load some 92.4 for the 168's. I am out right now though. What about in Rx22?

I have never tried that powder, so I can't help you out with that.

Some of the signs of pressure would be bulged cases, flat primers, cratered primers, poped primers - all of which you know - excessive case head expansion, which I am learning about myself too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I am am not much of an expert on the pressure signs, and I am sure that some of the others on this forum could help you out better then I can in that area.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.