300 RUM twist rate

EFR

Gentlemen: I'm looking for a little help on twist rates for the 300 RUM. I ordered a Borden Timberline action the other day and have to pick a twist rate for the barrel (Bartlein). The rifle will be chambered in 300 RUM, and I have no experience with the cartridge. I am putting the rifle together for long range (for me) Elk and deer. As far as distances, well that will be dictated by how competent we (me, rifle, scope) all are. I'd hope to hit 700 yds, maybe even further.

As far as bullets, I'm looking toward the Berger (215) and Accubond LR (210), but don't want to be limited to just two. Who knows what the next best thing will be. For those of you familiar with the 300 RUM, am I on the right track for bullets? Is there a reason to go lighter? What twist rate should I be looking at? (I am aware that twist rate is directly proportional to bullet length). Berger website recommends 11" or faster, but their twist rate calculator gave the 11" marginal stability with the 215gr. I emailed both Berger and Nosler and neither has responded. I spoke with a gentleman at Bartlein today, and he recommended 10".

Any and all competent help is appreciated. Thanks.

10" should be fine. Most of here that have 30rum's are spinning 225-230 grain hpbt's just fine on a 10" while also keeping good accuracy on lighter bullets. A slower twist would handicap this round I should think.

3 300RUMs and a 300WSM are all 10.

That twist will shoot any lead or non-lead.

Thanks for the help guys, Nosler responded yesterday, 1-10 as well. No word from Berger. I ordered the 1-10 Bartlein today.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts