300 RUM rebarrel

NotEnoughTriggerTime

In the thinking stage of a 300 RUM rebarrel project.

I have a Savage 111 in 300 RUM, w/26" sporter barrel 1:10 twist, that I'm thinking about upgrading to a custom barrel. It shoots about 1 moa with 200 SMK handloads, but heats up extremely fast.

I'm hoping a bull barrel will do 3 things - allow me to fire more shots before getting the barrel to cooking temperature, be a little more resistant to vibration, and add a little weight to reduce felt recoil.

I like the 200 gr SMK's, and would like a twist to work with these bullets.

Looking for opimions on twist rate, # of grooves & lands, and barrel length, and barrel contour. My intended use is an "over the top" varmint rifle (I want to kill groundhogs deader than my 22-250 does
wink.gif
), and long range paper
puncher.

My 30" PacNor 1:10 with a 5 groove bore makes the SMK's sizzle with H1000, RL25, and retumbo. It does however like the 216gr clinch river better.

Seems like I'm wanting to go the opposite direction as this forum. I want to rebarrel my 300 RUM with a 1:14 twist so I can get good groups with 125gr Ballistic tips.

The way I look at it, if I want to fire a 200gr bullet I'll move up to my .338 RUM. What am I missing (besides the target in windy conditions
smile.gif
?

I usually don't have time to use a rangefinder so I need to get off a quick shot at 300-400 yds, therefore I want the flattest shooter I can get (and least kick).

If it were me I'd call Pac-Nor and have one of their barrel made up for me , I'd opt for a 28"+ with a 3 groove 1-10 or a 1-11 in 5 groove.
Their is also a fella here that will prefit a Rock Creek barrel for your Savage , I believe his handle here is "Carbon-man" , I could be wrong but its close to that

b1g_bOre, at short range 300yds and in, terminal performance. Medium range, 300-600yds, terminal performance, and wind drift, long range, past 600yds, terminal performance, wind drift, and drop. Using your example at 400yds, with a 300 yard zero, MV of 4000fps for the 125gr, and 3000fps for a 220gr MK, there is a difference of 2.8in, favoring the 125gr. Its up to you if that 2.8in of drop is worth what your losing, in regards to performance.
wink.gif
YMMV.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.