300 rum - load development round 2

DoubleGobble00

After using the 8133 in my last post, I switched to H1000 to see if I could gain velocity with less pressure. Apparently, my gun likes the H1000. I gained velocity over the 8133 and had less pressure. I'm still getting some primer flow near max but it wasn't as bad. I was really impressed with how tight the group was while shooting from 86.5 to 90 grains... it was really stacking them tight for sure a wide range of powder. I think this gun is going to be a shooter.

300 RUM
1x Nosler brass
H1000
230 Berger
215 M primer
0.10 off lands
200 yards

DoubleG

Are you guys getting good ES with that much room left in a 115 grain case?

As crazy as it might seem, yes. I can hear the powder shanking in there. Couple weeks ago, I took two shoots at 789 yards on a rock. Vertical was nonexistent and the two shoots were 5" apart. I don't even worry about 3 shot groups or anything. It can pretty much stack them up.

Thanks for info. I've been so impressed with accuracy. I'm going to try 87-88.5 in hopes of getting good accuracy and 3000 FPS if possible.

I haven't tried Retumbo yet. I read how some ppl had problems with it spiking in pressure suddenly near max. That kind of steered me away from it but I know it performs well. I might had to try it too

More people run H1000 than you think due to better accuracy with the slightly faster powder. I have run Retumbo with good speed but have better accuracy with H1000. H1000 supposedly gives better barrel life in the RUM also because it runs cooler. I used to run 200 Accubonds at 3200 with Retumbo.

I'll probably try Retumbo just for the faster velocity. I also want a 200 AccuBond Load.

The 230s at 3100 or more would be ideal.

I run Retumbo and it works great in my 300 rum and 7 rum. The 212 eld-x work great but COAL is to long to fit in any mag. You have to seat them deeper so they will fit the mag. Otherwise you will have a great single shot. I can hold a 5in.group at 1k with H&H precision rifle and retumbo.

I run Retumbo and it works great in my 300 rum and 7 rum. The 212 eld-x work great but COAL is to long to fit in any mag. You have to seat them deeper so they will fit the mag. Otherwise you will have a great single shot. I can hold a 5in.group at 1k with H&H precision rifle and retumbo.[/QUOTE

Try a Wyatt's magizima box then you can seat them a lot longer.

1475698786093.jpg

27" Broughton barrel
Load velocity determined by Magnetospeed V2

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.