300 RUM Action converted to 300 PRC

Okie Whitetail Hunter

I am looking at buying a Rem 700 300 RUM action and then installing a REMAGE 300 PRC barrel either from X Calibers or Carbon Six.
I have built a few REMAGE rifles (2506/6.5 creed x3 and 6/5 PRC) however I have never build a RUM or 300 PRC.
I have been reading up on it some but was wondering which stock I need? Just a LA stock or something else?
Do I need to run a CIP length mag, like a Wyatt box.

Am I missing anything?

Is there a reason you were wanting an ultra mag action rather than a standard magnum action? Standard magnum actions are sure easier to find

No reason I wasn't sure if the Standard Magnum would work. Just started researching building one had read a few things about using the RUM action.

It will work just fine. Example: I've built 338 edge and 300 rums with Walmart 7mm mag actions. Open the feed rails lightly and you're good.

This seems like a pretty decent price for a brand new rem 700 Ultra Mag action and same place has them in SS for about twenty five bucks more.

Thanks a lot! That is a great deal

How do you open the feed rails? I don't have a machine shop or anything.
Take your time because you are removing about .010" per side. Light filing if you don't have a mill. Take a rum cartridge and test it every couple file strokes. Again, they can open up quick. Post results.
edit: forgot to mention softening the edges of the feed rails to protect your brass (capt obvious here)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.