300 RUM 227 Grain Hammer Hunter

HammerB1

Official LRH Sponsor
Went out and did load development on our 227 grain Hammer Hunter.
Details:
300 RUM
30" 8-twist barrel with small PK break
Remington 700 action
Nightforce optics
Norma brass
FED 215M primers
93 grains RE-33 (very safe load)
3.995 COL
Velocity 3119 avg.
15 SG with magneto speed

Started with 87 grains and worked up til slight ejector mark at 94 grains. 87 - 2988, 88 - 2988, 89 - 3000, 91 - 3046, 93 - 3095, 94 - 3139.
backed down 1 grain
3 @ 93 - 3118,3105,3135 - with magneto on- .91" group
Took Magneto off and shot 3 - shot group .70" at 200 yards
We will do more reports like this as we have time and correct twisted rifles to do it.
We will be taking it out to 1000 yards next week.
Also, It only took 15 shots to get this far and without any seating depth adjustments.
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 156
I'm going to chime in on Brian's thread here. I was not able to go to the range today because I was gone to the Western Montana Little Guy Wrestling state championships coaching my wrestlers. Great day there too.

Brian did not mention that this rifle is not even bedded. Just a McMillan rifle stock ordered and mounted. His quest today was just to get a velocity and see if the bullet would group at 200y. We kind of figured that this bullet would be a bit more finicky that our other bullets because it is more aggressive in the ogive. Turns out that it acted just like our other bullets. We have yet to make an adjustment to seating depth for accuracy. Weather we seat them to mag length or just off the lands.

This rifle is just a semi custom at best. No high reputation gunsmith or fancy anything. A McGowen barrel that their in house smith set to a donor Remington action that we had on hand.

I am very happy with these results. I really thought that we would have to spend some time with an OCW latter test to get this high bc bullet to shoot well. We will get out in the next few days and shoot it to 1000 yards and give you guys some group pics and G7 BC from the drops.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.