300 RUM 215 Hybrid Update

Tumbleweed

Ok, so off and on for the last 3 or 4 months I've been trying to work up a load first off with the 230 Hybrid Targets with unsatisfactory results, could not get real good accuracy without backing way down on the load and losing the real benefit over the 210VLD that I have been running. I noticed that the 215 Hybrid came out shortly after and decided to run the numbers. They looked good in theory so I ordered 50. I also ran into some problems getting them to shoot accurately enough with different seating depths, H1000 and Retumbo. There was only a couple combos that showed some potential. The rifle has 1200-1300 rounds through it now so I got the barrel looked at by two different smiths (neither have a boroscope, just a mirror). The first said it didn't look too bad but really couldn't expand on that. The second said it looked virually brand new inside besides a funny little scratch .25" past the throat, I was skeptical on this finding too. So, the last few days I have taken a couple of the 215 combos that showed potential and worked on them. I have ultimately decided that my barrel is on the way out regardless of what either of the smiths said they saw in their little mirror. I've got a .75 MOA- 1 MOA load with the 215's that will work. It's not the .25 - .5 MOA that I used to get with the 210's but it will work. I settled on 92 grains of H1000, Nosler Custom Brass, Fed215GM Mag primers, a COAL of 3.880" that allows a .005" jump and of course the 215 Hybrid. This produces 3140fps with 7fps ES. I loaded the last two bullets in my box and stretched things out tonight to 1100 yards. I took out 2.25 MOA that I would have needed with the 210VLD and fired one after the other. I had a slight 3-4mph wind (which I overcorrected for) these things buck the wind gooood! The bullets impacted in perfect elevation (about an inch difference between shots vertically) and 16" apart horizontally from each other due to the slight wind change. I was mainly interested in seeing what my vertical spread would be at that distance. So, I will order another box and just be happy with what accuracy I've got left and hope it hangs in there through the next season:D It may become a 32" barreled Edge sometime after next season though!

What is your present barrel length?
I am asking because I'm having a 300rum being built with 28in barrel and want to use the 215 hybrid with h1000, kinda trying to see what kind of velocity to expect. Picking h1000 since I use that in my 338rum and have been happy with results.

Jeff

I am asking because I'm having a 300rum being built with 28in barrel and want to use the 215 hybrid with h1000, kinda trying to see what kind of velocity to expect. Picking h1000 since I use that in my 338rum and have been happy with results.

Jeff

It's a 27" Lilja + brake. You probably won't have a problem getting 3150fps. I found the Retumbo did produce better speed witht the 215, but could not get the ES down to a reasonable number. I keep going back to H1000, it's just a great versatile powder.

Jeff

Also Jeff, if you're planning on using the 215's for sure, get a bullet, set up your COAL to fit in an extended mag box and have your smith throat the chamber accordingly. I have found that the 215 and 230's still like to be closer to the rifling and I've heard that from others too. The 215's have a very aggressive ogive (hence the B/C) and create a very long COAL and with .005" jump I am still too long to fit in my extended magazine. This does not bother me, but it may for others.

TW,
Thanks for tips and info. This rifle is not going to be used for hunting ( lilja 28in, #8 contour, be a little heavy for packing) mostly banging metal and paper at 1000. Will be having standard ultra mag well put on rifle, so I'll be single loading which will be ok for seating bullets long.
My barrel will be a 3 groove, both gunsmith and Dan Lilja recommended it for this build. Your lilja barrel wouldn't happen to be a 3 groove would it? If so any comments on it? This will be my 3rd rifle built with lilja barrel. The other 2, 300wm and 338rum, standard 6 groove, both are very good shooters.
Don't expect rifle to be done till June.

TW,
Thanks for tips and info. This rifle is not going to be used for hunting ( lilja 28in, #8 contour, be a little heavy for packing) mostly banging metal and paper at 1000. Will be having standard ultra mag well put on rifle, so I'll be single loading which will be ok for seating bullets long.
My barrel will be a 3 groove, both gunsmith and Dan Lilja recommended it for this build. Your lilja barrel wouldn't happen to be a 3 groove would it? If so any comments on it? This will be my 3rd rifle built with lilja barrel. The other 2, 300wm and 338rum, standard 6 groove, both are very good shooters.
Don't expect rifle to be done till June.

No, it's just a standard 6 groove in #5 contour. I have thought about doing a 3 groove on my next build, but I've heard of a few nightmare stories of the 3 grooves causing bullet jacket issues and accuracy loss. Not sure how true any of that is.

Have heard a few similar comments on the 3 groove. Will post my results after I get rifle and have put some rounds thru it.

Ok so as far as the 3 groove story I have two builds with the 3 groove and couldn't be more happy with them both 1 being in 280AI shooting 168 Berger Hunting VLD 63.5 grns . of Retumbo, CCI250, Nosler brass the other is a 338/06 AI havent had time for working up a good load too many other projects but from the shooting I have done good results. The 300 Rum. is the cartridge I'll be using this year for Elk nad Mulies. so I have a load of 95 grains Retumbo a Bob Cartarucio 211.3 grn bullet Rem. brass and CCI250 going a measured 3150 fps. out of A 26"tube giving me .396" groups col is 3.667" so I can't see why you souldn't get that type of velocity or more out of your 27" & 28" tubes.
IMR 7828 is another good powder for these heavier 30 cal. bullets and I almost forgot one thing this out of a stock 300 RUM. barrel! Just my .02 worth of info.

:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.