300 rum 212 eld-x load workup

Peckerwood

Alright fellas , in the next few weeks I will be developing a load for my 300 ultra mag using retumbo / 212 eld-x. Started with loads at 88 , 89 , and 90 grains and will go from there. Hornady says o.a.l of 3.9 but this is not a custom built rifle it is a browning a bolt 2 and I want to be able to mag. Feed so my o.a.l will be at 3.6175 . If I can't get good groups then I may be forced to seat them longer but we shall see. This will be my first load work up in this gun so any input is welcome especially as to what distance for grouping and what not. I have a 200 yrd range in my front yard so depending on this ark. Weather as to when this will start. I know some of you are interested in this so I will be posting what I do as I do it for others on here. I probably will not chrony until I find a good group then I'll break it out and record velocities. Like I said any and all input is welcome. Thanks .

Ok. The weather wasn't as hot today and allowed me to play with my toys. The rifle is a browning a bolt 2 with muzzle brake the scope is leupold vari-x III 6.5x20x40mm.
Projectile is hornady 212 grain eld-x
Cci #250 magnum large rifle primers
Retumbo powder
O.a.l. 3.6175
Temp. 83 degrees
Humidity 72%
Dew point 73 degrees
3 shot groups at 100 yards from primos group therapy rest.
88 grains shots 1 and 2 were same hole with #3 being about 2 inches high.
89 grains shot #2 was 1 in. High and 2 in. Right of #1. Shot #3 was an inch high and half inch left of shot #1.
90 grains is where this got interesting. All 3 shots touching.
3 shots outside edge to outside edge is 0.6500 subtract .308 and it's 0.342 in. 100 yards group.

Chronograph results
Hornady 212 eld-x
90 grains retumbo
Cci #250 large magnum rifle primers
O.a.l. 3.6175
Temp 86 degrees
Humidity 67%
Dew point 74*
13 ft from muzzle
5 shot string
Low - 2972
High- 3002
Avg. - 2987
E.s. - 30.24
S.d. - 12.24

Try H1000 next if Retumbo doesn't pan out. with 250's I'm getting single digit ES ddgo

Just curious if you have done anymore loads for the 300rum and the 212g eld-x. Seems like a magic mix B.C. for 1000y drops and even energy retention. When compared to the 200g and 220g. Also did you notice any pressure signs at 90g or could you work up 1/2g at a time more to max load. I'm really considering getting a Rem700 Long-range in 300rum. Wish they still carried the 338rum but with these low drag hunting 30cal bullets available I guess I see why the loss of interest.

No i havent worked any more on that load it shoots 1 hole groups at 100 and clover leafs at 200 i think thats as good as it gets with a factory rifle granted it does have a muzzle brake but thats it. No pressure signs as i worked up but you could tell when i hit the sweet spot with the groups for sure. I dont shoot it often enough bc brass is so hard to come by. I did kill 2 deer with it last year and you can hear that 212 gr. Bullet whack when it hits and both folded right there. Good luck.

I worked a load for mine OCW style with the 212s and ended up at 89.4 grains of Retumbo in Nosler brass with the 212 at .095 off the lands. It runs 3125 fps in my 28" Krieger. I was previously using 88.5 with the same combo, but things changed a little with my new lot of powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.