300 PRC

When I take my 458 down with 600 gr. hard cast and a full load of H4895 and bang the 12 " swinger and it knocks it off, wow does it get attention, they look at this skinny old 75 year old pulling the trigger and they don't say much, so I ask em... want to run one down the barrel....no takers.. they just don't under stan you have to roll with it not try and stop that recoil, Pete

When I take my 458 down with 600 gr. hard cast and a full load of H4895 and bang the 12 " swinger and it knocks it off, wow does it get attention, they look at this skinny old 75 year old pulling the trigger and they don't say much, so I ask em... want to run one down the barrel....no takers.. they just don't under stan you have to roll with it not try and stop that recoil, Pete
I'd take you up on it ;)!!! Sounds like fun. And yes even with ordinary cartridges that's true. I've seen a six foot six mountain of a man get scoped hard by a .270 and a 5 foot 0 petite build woman ask if she could shoot my .300 win mag a few more times cuz she thought it was fun.

I'd take you up on it ;)!!! Sounds like fun. And yes even with ordinary cartridges that's true. I've seen a six foot six mountain of a man get scoped hard by a .270 and a 5 foot 0 petite build woman ask if she could shoot my .300 win mag a few more times cuz she thought it was fun.
Its a long way down here for just a few shots,although some products might be cheaper,not sur what they run up NORTH! Pete

Do the eldm preform like the older style amax? I've killed a truck load of deer with the 168 in my 308 rarely do I have a runner and they're done in feet not yards usually. They will probably be too frangible for elk at 300prc velocity, I like the partions or accubonds for them. Same thing I'd shoot at moose or brown bears in Alaska. If shooting the either of the tougher bullets you should get pass through even on shoulder shots. I've personally watched moose drop from a 30-06 slinging 180gr partition through the shoulders at 200ish yards.
Accubond will have a better bc for reaching way out there but both were designed to tackle bigger critters and stay together.

I have shot quite a few deer, elk and antelope with the 175 Grian ELD-x out of my 7LRM. Never had an issue, never lost an animal and never had one get out of sight. Ranging from 200 to almost 700 yards. Honestly sometimes I think **** just happens and I think it can happen with any bullet manufacturer on any given day! For me the main thing is having confidence in your load and your rifle, If you don't you will never shoot it well or be confident when hunting with it. Hammers, Bergers and Accubonds have all also worked very well for me other rifles. If you want passthru's I would go with the Hammers or the Accubonds, they should both give you what you seek. I am shooting 199 Grain Hammers in my 300 PRC, I have only taken Deer and Antelope with it as well but it was bang/flop on all animals I have used it on. I loaned it to a buddy for a hunt he had planned and he shot a 2000 lb. American Bison with it at about 200 yards, also bang/flop. Great performance.

I am working up a load for the Berger 245 EOL bullets in my 300 PRC. Trying H1000 powder first. Ill post results with grouping and velocity when I shoot. It's a mean-looking bullet! On paper the ballistics are incredible.

I've got a 300 PRC and shooting the Berger 230 OTM's at about 2875 fps out of a 9 twist 24" barrel. There's a fair amount of info out there on the terminal performance of this bullet. Shooting 1/2 moa and they are pretty darn good at bucking the wind. High bc, high sectional density, a little thicker jacket than the Berger hunting bullets. Will be hunting with this load this year.

I'd try the Berger 215 if I could find any, they have a huge following but the 230's also seemed to have a great track record and were very easy to find a load for with a little help from my friends here.

I also loaded the solid copper Badlands195 bd2, high bc and they shot sub moa to 600, running 3,040 fps, will work on load development for them more when I have time this winter to see if I can wring more accuracy out of them, I think they have great potential and the stated G7 bc of .345 lined up perfectly with my shot drops.

I am working up a load for the Berger 245 EOL bullets in my 300 PRC. Trying H1000 powder first. Ill post results with grouping and velocity when I shoot. It's a mean-looking bullet! On paper the ballistics are incredible.
Just finished up load development with the 245 and it turned out great. It's slower than I'd like but without tearing up brass it's not gunna be able to run much hotter. 24" bartlein with lapua brass and 77.1 gr of retumbo gets me 2720fps. Thats a nice flat spot with low es/sd. Its held sub half minute at 1200 yards. I got to about 2800 before I saw any pressure. Those that claim 2900 fps with less than a 28" tube are without doubt way over pressure. Good luck and let us know how yours turns out.

From my experience, if you do not have a pass through with bullets larger than .224 and 100 grains on white tail, the largest culprit is shot placement. When bullets don't exit they're dumping all of their energy inside of that animal, and usually on whitetail sized game, its a devastating wound channel, and even more so with magnum calibers.

I had sever bad experiences with Axis bucks and whitetail bucks with the 178 ELDX passing through and not expanding much. When stepping up to magnum calibers, I've had decent results with the 212 eldx, in a 300 wm, muzzle velocity of 2,985 fps.
Here is a blackbuck doe I shot on the run at 200 yards. Not the best shot but the animal dropped and obviously the bullet expanded.
IMG_6287.jpg

I'm a huge fan of eldms for hunting game under 300 pounds. Below I shot a 200 lb whitetail buck with my 30 SM, 200 yards, 225 eldm, muzzle velocity of 2,850 fps (20" barrel). The buck was quartering away, entered in the ribs and did not exit. If it would of exited it would of been in the chest cavity. The buck went 20 yards and rolled over. Internals were liquified as the animal absorbed all of the bullets energy.
Resized_20211110_181922_520522692170913.JPEG

When the opportunity arises, my go to shot placement on exotics, WT, etc is going to be dead center mass of the shoulder. You'll likely hit bone and have decent expansion, and it allows for margin of error.

In a recent interview on the backcountry hunting podcast, Seth Swerczek from Hornady said the 200gr ELD-X is a little better at penetration than the 212 ELD-X because they start similar in the back end but the longer (smaller diameter) ogive on the 212 makes is easier to expand than the 200 so you consequently see less penetration at all yardages because the increase in BC makes it keep velocity longer.
This is the second post recently about poor terminal performance with the 212 ELDX. I can verify that the 200gr ELDX has been phenomenal at 300WM velocities from 200-550 yards on deer. Exit holes range from golf ball to baseball size with lots of internal damage. Hoping to collect some data at 700+ this fall...

Wow that's e
From my experience, if you do not have a pass through with bullets larger than .224 and 100 grains on white tail, the largest culprit is shot placement. When bullets don't exit they're dumping all of their energy inside of that animal, and usually on whitetail sized game, its a devastating wound channel, and even more so with magnum calibers.

I had sever bad experiences with Axis bucks and whitetail bucks with the 178 ELDX passing through and not expanding much. When stepping up to magnum calibers, I've had decent results with the 212 eldx, in a 300 wm, muzzle velocity of 2,985 fps.
Here is a blackbuck doe I shot on the run at 200 yards. Not the best shot but the animal dropped and obviously the bullet expanded.
View attachment 392894

I'm a huge fan of eldms for hunting game under 300 pounds. Below I shot a 200 lb whitetail buck with my 30 SM, 200 yards, 225 eldm, muzzle velocity of 2,850 fps (20" barrel). The buck was quartering away, entered in the ribs and did not exit. If it would of exited it would of been in the chest cavity. The buck went 20 yards and rolled over. Internals were liquified as the animal absorbed all of the bullets energy.
View attachment 392895

When the opportunity arises, my go to shot placement on exotics, WT, etc is going to be dead center mass of the shoulder. You'll likely hit bone and have decent expansion, and it allows for margin of error.
Wow that's exactly what I hope to see shooting deer size animals. I shot the deer behind the shoulder and didn't have that at all. Not even an exit. Maybe mine was a fluke.

So I haven't had much experience with this rifle yet, but what I've seen hasn't been to impressive. I know there's a lot of factors so I'd like to hear if any of you folks have run into what I've seen.
Myself and a couple buddies have been shooting out to 1000 yards with a Christensen Ridgeline and Mesa, also a Howa. We all shoot factory Hornady 212 ELD's. And they shoot very well. The problem is killing animals.
Shot a cow elk at 300 yards. The bullet went behind the shoulder, through one rib, but didn't make a pass through. She went 400 yards before she piled up. I chalked it up to a big mass animal. Then in WV's rifle deer season I sat with a buddy on our shooting bench on our property. A big fat doe walked out 600 yards broadside. We both were watching through our scopes and as he shot I watched the bullet hit her behind the shoulder but just a couple inches back from perfect. We tracked her through a thick clear cut about 300 yards and she only had blood coming out her entry hole. Again no pass through. We didn't find her. I saw that bullet knock her 2 steps back before she took off. I'm thinking these bullets are unloading all their energy when they impact and are not plowing through.
I'd just like to hear some opinions about what's going on. I have decided to try some reloads and see what happens. I bought some Berger 205 grain Elite hunters and Nosler 210 grain Accubond LR's. Any advice will be much appreciated.
The New Norma bond strike definitely will pass through this is a 20% gelatin block we tested at 700 yards out of a 300 cavitations a little small but you get penetration

Attachments

• 2147A70D-DDA2-4B2A-A03D-0B84F250423D.jpeg
    2147A70D-DDA2-4B2A-A03D-0B84F250423D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • 45B06CAE-0D13-4C38-B574-0D77B949BB73.jpeg
    45B06CAE-0D13-4C38-B574-0D77B949BB73.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54