300 PRC

I just bought the Wilderness model in the HMR .300 PRC, could not find brass so bought 5 boxes of Hornady's 225 ELD Match, will shoot some to see how the run and acracy testing , pulled about 20 to run some LRT.MagPro and R26. Will play with seating depth. My main question is has anyone compared the standard muzzle break and the Self Timing Tank type, to see if it is worth spending 180.00 for the tank type from Bergara, Pete

I just bought the Wilderness model in the HMR .300 PRC, could not find brass so bought 5 boxes of Hornady's 225 ELD Match, will shoot some to see how the run and acracy testing , pulled about 20 to run some LRT.MagPro and R26. Will play with seating depth. My main question is has anyone compared the standard muzzle break and the Self Timing Tank type, to see if it is worth spending 180.00 for the tank type from Bergara, Pete
Not sure what you mean about brake types...I had a MBM 5 port beast on my 300 PRC. I have a gunsmith fit type but you can get the same one as a self timer, they both reduce recoil the same. A wider tank type as you call it will usually be more effective at killing recoil if it's designed right.
But I took mine off and put a Thunder beast dominus suppressor on....soooooo nice to shoot now.

The one that is on it There is NOOOO way I would shoot it prone as did that with my 300 Weatherby with a Pendleton type back in 62 as was my first custom rifle at the age of 13,first shot blew sand, gravel and all my confidence away real fast, from then on I never shot prone with a any break similar, now here I am at 75 still love the long range ones but just was wondering which type might be the best. That being said I have found out rifles are like women, you either fall hard or say Why did I do this. Pete

So I haven't had much experience with this rifle yet, but what I've seen hasn't been to impressive. I know there's a lot of factors so I'd like to hear if any of you folks have run into what I've seen.
Myself and a couple buddies have been shooting out to 1000 yards with a Christensen Ridgeline and Mesa, also a Howa. We all shoot factory Hornady 212 ELD's. And they shoot very well. The problem is killing animals.
Shot a cow elk at 300 yards. The bullet went behind the shoulder, through one rib, but didn't make a pass through. She went 400 yards before she piled up. I chalked it up to a big mass animal. Then in WV's rifle deer season I sat with a buddy on our shooting bench on our property. A big fat doe walked out 600 yards broadside. We both were watching through our scopes and as he shot I watched the bullet hit her behind the shoulder but just a couple inches back from perfect. We tracked her through a thick clear cut about 300 yards and she only had blood coming out her entry hole. Again no pass through. We didn't find her. I saw that bullet knock her 2 steps back before she took off. I'm thinking these bullets are unloading all their energy when they impact and are not plowing through.
I'd just like to hear some opinions about what's going on. I have decided to try some reloads and see what happens. I bought some Berger 205 grain Elite hunters and Nosler 210 grain Accubond LR's. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Reload using the 225s. Find some H1000 and you'll get excellent accuracy at around 2850-2900 fps. The ELDM bullets are very good at putting animals down instantly. Lots of destruction internally and you WILL get exits many times. Baseball size exits too.

Reload using the 225s. Find some H1000 and you'll get excellent accuracy at around 2850-2900 fps. The ELDM bullets are very good at putting animals down instantly. Lots of destruction internally and you WILL get exits many times. Baseball size exits too.
Can testify to this. I drive them around 2800 in my .300 win mag as a single feed load. Accurate and effective.

I had a Bergara but not the HMR Wilderness in .300 Win, it shot very well only problem was short throat and shorter magazine,300 win the bullet seats way to deep on the230's and up and it only had a 1-10 twist, sold it and bought a Browning X bolt in 300 win, sucked would not shoot any better than 2" at 100,it's gone went to the PRC and back to Bergara ,put a trigger tech Diamond on it and is great. Am thinking about getting the self timing Break on it, cartridge length loaded and through the box is 3.749". Trigger breaks so sweet at 6 oz .The cartridge design is much better than the 300 win only if you are pushing 230's and above, going to the range Thursday to shoot some 212's 220's and 225's and some factory 225's.My main gripe was with 220's in the 300 win behind 89 gr. of LRT was load them Tuesday ,shoot them Wednesday and you had to go home as they walked out about 40/1000 and could not chamber. Pete

Had my Winnie had a long throat I would have single fed it as I do not hunt anymore, after almost 30 years of living breathing and hunting Montana it ruined me on hunting here in Wisconsin, I kill the hell out of paper, just love the big stuff ,from my .458 Win. 375 H&H and shooting long range targets ,they can kill ya ,....so you have to get them on the first shot. Just having fun, I guess I like the noise the speed and the power, especially when you shoot Bowling Pin Swingers at 100. Pete

Had my Winnie had a long throat I would have single fed it as I do not hunt anymore, after almost 30 years of living breathing and hunting Montana it ruined me on hunting here in Wisconsin, I kill the hell out of paper, just love the big stuff ,from my .458 Win. 375 H&H and shooting long range targets ,they can kill ya ,....so you have to get them on the first shot. Just having fun, I guess I like the noise the speed and the power, especially when you shoot Bowling Pin Swingers at 100. Pete
Big stuff is fun even if totally unneeded. Biggest thing I play with right now is an old .358 Norma Magnum I won on an auction this year. I absolutely love it. It thumps pretty good.

And of course the poor man's "big boom"…3 1/2 inch 12 guage to satisfy any masochistic tendencies.