300 PRC

This is almost my dream set up, I'd just want a Proof Research or IBI carbon barrel
Personally I don't understand the hype of a carbon barrel. From what I've seen they don't perform as well as an equal weight or possibly even lighter stainless barrel. I mean they do look cool as hell, if that's the driving factor I totally get it.

Personally I don't understand the hype of a carbon barrel. From what I've seen they don't perform as well as an equal weight or possibly even lighter stainless barrel. I mean they do look cool as hell, if that's the driving factor I totally get it.
Not understanding "Don't perform as well". I own a couple. They don't perform any less than my Bartlein barrels of equal dimensions in full steel. One thing I'll note is they do get hotter than the same dimension barrel in same caliber. Not sure if they cool faster or not, haven't done that test yet. Accuracy and clean up is identical. Recoil is obviously worse due to the lighter barrel weight. The hype is saving a couple pounds of rifle weight potentially.

Not understanding "Don't perform as well". I own a couple. They don't perform any less than my Bartlein barrels of equal dimensions in full steel. One thing I'll note is they do get hotter than the same dimension barrel in same caliber. Not sure if they cool faster or not, haven't done that test yet. Accuracy and clean up is identical. Recoil is obviously worse due to the lighter barrel weight. The hype is saving a couple pounds of rifle weight potentially.
From my experience if you compare a carbon barrel to an equal weight stainless barrel (actual lbs, not dimesnions) they seem to hold comparable groups, also heat and cool at very much the same rate.

Handloads do tilt the scale even more than with factory ammo - Generally with factory ammo, the 300 PRC with a 215 runs about 2850 where the 300 Norma runs 3010 and the 30N at 2990. We are splitting hairs and you are spot on Longshot, we can generate even more speed without SAAMI limitations. In all circumstances case capacity wins. Especially at ranges of more than 1000 yards. On steel a few more clicks in elevation isnt that big a deal but windage can be the difference between a hit and a miss.
300 PRC - 78 grains water
30N - 88 grains water
300 Norma - 104 grains water

Steel doesn't care how fast the bullet is going but for hunting in any one of these cartridges, I will always prefer faster - every single time. If all cartridges have equal accuracy then to me, every 100 or 150 or 200 fps matters when shooting an animal
300 RUM- 110.2

True. You can go to an extended box, or do as I do, and single feed it. When it was introduced (1999 I believe) It was cool with no belt, and fast. Now with the more modern 30`s its not the cool kid on the block anymore, but can still run with my buddies 300 Norma with the right powder, and bullet. I still love that old war horse, and have killed many Elk with it. I own a 300 PRC as well, and it has proven itself on Elk too. As far as the PRC goes, I`m getting 3003 fps Avg with a 215 Berger and have shot it out to a mile.

300 RUM, 300 win Mag with a AICS box or Wyatt box for what some muzzle breaks, stocks, etcc... and go out past the PRC OAL.
Let alone all the factory option rifles that now use them.

This is almost my dream set up, I'd just want a Proof Research or IBI carbon barrel
Thanks! I'm very proud and happy with my build. The WOOX chassis is rather heavy so it's not a great contender for a lightweight carbon barrel. Kelbly is an awesome company to deal with, you can get a barreled action with bixNandy trigger for around 2 grand from them. Let me know if you have any other questions.

My experience is limited, but I replaced my RPR 6.5 barrel with a Proof Research barrel.The groups were not much tighter, a little maybe.sitting around .4 to .7 MOA, but it would open up has it got hot, this does not seem to be the case now. That said the barrels performed identically over the past two years of lockdowns, stuck in my safe.

From my experience if you compare a carbon barrel to an equal weight stainless barrel (actual lbs, not dimesnions) they seem to hold comparable groups, also heat and cool at very much the same rate.
That's probably true. I just rarely shoot pencil thin barrels anymore due to the fast heat up of the barrel. Tough to shoot too many rounds before the barrel gets smoking hot. Luckily being mostly a hunter and when I'm at the range, I don't shoot more than 3-5 rounds at a time before letting the barrel cool.

How long of a barrel are you running? I didn't think a 300 PRC was capable of those velocities with those heavy bullets.
Sorry to jump in, this just got me thinking and it might be valuable to you. I have a 26 inch proof in a 30 Sherman, fire forming 300 PRC ADG brass with 250 ATips I am getting 2880. I think the 245 would be a little slicker, easily 2900+. Those would be even faster with a PRC chamber, so that less energy would be lost in brass forming.

I am going to try both the 245 and the 250 with the formed brass and try to get them as fast as they can handle. Should be interesting.

I was just thinking about first round hits today. I think that is the true measure of a LR marksman. Anybody can dilly dally until they hit. Good on you!
Amen!

This is my goal every season; to get to this point, especially in adverse conditions.

Handloads do tilt the scale even more than with factory ammo - Generally with factory ammo, the 300 PRC with a 215 runs about 2850 where the 300 Norma runs 3010 and the 30N at 2990. We are splitting hairs and you are spot on Longshot, we can generate even more speed without SAAMI limitations. In all circumstances case capacity wins. Especially at ranges of more than 1000 yards. On steel a few more clicks in elevation isnt that big a deal but windage can be the difference between a hit and a miss.
300 PRC - 78 grains water
30N - 88 grains water
300 Norma - 104 grains water
Your H20 data is incorrect

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-061039.png
    Screenshot_20220226-061039.png
    246.4 KB · Views: 41