300 PRC versus 30 Nosler

FWIW, my .300 PRC (about 80 rounds down the pipe) netted 2827fps w/ Hornady 220 ELD-X using 75.5gr RL26 and .020" off. A 24" barrel and no pressure signs with that load.
Great, so about 17 fps faster than factory data. Pretty consistent with H1000 data. Thanks for sharing

I have a Remington 700 in 300 RUM out now getting a new a new barrel chambered for a long-throated 30 Nosler. I joined longrangehunting.com primarily to gather info to help me decide between sticking with the RUM or going with the 30 N. (Thanks to all that provided input). I chose the Nosler over the PRC mainly because the action I was starting with had Ultra Mag feed rails. I have read that the RUM cut might result in feeding issues with the PRC. I did look hard at the 30 SM (I really liked that I could shoot PRC if needed), but I couldn't get a firm confirmation that I wouldn't also have feeding issues with that cartridge.

I am hoping to get 199 gr Hammers and 230 gr Bergers to shoot well. Although I aspire to do some longer range hunting, most of my shots so far have been at closer ranges. I am leaning towards the 230 Berger over the 215 because I will continue to hunt in places that could offer closer shots. If I started with the right action, I am pretty sure I would be perfectly happy with any of the three.

I have a Remington 700 in 300 RUM out now getting a new a new barrel chambered for a long-throated 30 Nosler. I joined longrangehunting.com primarily to gather info to help me decide between sticking with the RUM or going with the 30 N. (Thanks to all that provided input). I chose the Nosler over the PRC mainly because the action I was starting with had Ultra Mag feed rails. I have read that the RUM cut might result in feeding issues with the PRC. I did look hard at the 30 SM (I really liked that I could shoot PRC if needed), but I couldn't get a firm confirmation that I wouldn't also have feeding issues with that cartridge.

I am hoping to get 199 gr Hammers and 230 gr Bergers to shoot well. Although I aspire to do some longer range hunting, most of my shots so far have been at closer ranges. I am leaning towards the 230 Berger over the 215 because I will continue to hunt in places that could offer closer shots. If I started with the right action, I am pretty sure I would be perfectly happy with any of the three.
I have had a 300 RUM since about 2004 and my 30N since 2014, before it was launched at SHOT. I am also taking my current 300 RUM and re-chambering it into another 30N because the performance of the Nos is better than the RUM with less powder and less chamber erosion. 220 freebore reamer and a 25 1/2 inch 9.25 twist barrel. My current 30N shoots the 212 ELDX at 2980 fps without pushing it to the max, behind 82.1 grains Retumbo with a 24 inch 8.5 twist barrel.

So Mr JMGamesniper19, you can't even quote me correctly. I told you I have a different chamber and a 32" barrel. I also do not use the powders you are quoting, H1000 is too fast to get top velocities.
I can make ANY comparison and have any which cartridge best another, it's not hard to do, obviously.
Also, you haven't even quoted specs from the SAME bullets, that alters the outcome of said internal ballistics.
Anyway, believe the PRC is better, I don't see any at the F-class line where I shoot.

Cheers.

I don't see where there that much advance in any of them over other mag, and especially where the rifles have 26" barrels. Like 30N compared to another 30mag. That comparison is between a 24" barrel to a 26" barrel, and I don't feel that's a fair comparison. I do see some big powder burners. Without a muzzle brake I don't want to shoot them. They are all interesting, but I will stay with what I got.

So Mr JMGamesniper19, you can't even quote me correctly. I told you I have a different chamber and a 32" barrel. I also do not use the powders you are quoting, H1000 is too fast to get top velocities.
I can make ANY comparison and have any which cartridge best another, it's not hard to do, obviously.
Also, you haven't even quoted specs from the SAME bullets, that alters the outcome of said internal ballistics.
Anyway, believe the PRC is better, I don't see any at the F-class line where I shoot.

Cheers.
Thats fine - perhaps actual Nosler H2H testing will help shed some light. As you can see, Nosler also feels the 800 yard mark is a great benchmark.
I know of no hunter that runs a single shot 32" barrel on a hunting rifle, perhaps you do and perhaps some others do too. Up to you but my point is meant as an apples to apples comparison of "LR Hunting" set ups on a LR hunting titled website. My 30N set up exactly the same as your 300 Win Mag would ballistically outperform it every day and every time either in hunting or a target environment.

Last edited:
Adg brass capacity specs:
300 rum: 113gr
300norma: 102gr
30N: 99gr
300prc: 94gr
300wm: 89gr

All these cases with the same bullet, with freebore to put the bullet shank just above nk shoulder junction will perform in the same absolute order as the above list when fired from equal length barrels loaded to the same pressure! It's physics.

Thats fine - perhaps actual Nosler H2H testing will help shed some light. As you can see, Nosler also feels the 800 yard mark is a great benchmark.
I know of no hunter that runs a single shot 32" barrel on a hunting rifle, perhaps you do and perhaps some others do too. Up to you but my point is meant as an apples to apples comparison of "LR Hunting" set ups on a LR hunting titled website. My 30N set up exactly the same as your 300 Win Mag would ballistically outperform it every day and every time either in hunting or a target environment.
👍 Good for you, my rifle is not a single shot, but I was comparing the 300WM to the PRC, not the 30 Nosler.
Most of my LR hunting rifles are customs with barrels of 28", 29", 30" and 32".
My factory rifles in magnum cals all have 26" barrels except my 375 Bee, it has a 24" barrel and works just fine with that length.
I am happy for you.
Oh, and I shoot my rifles well beyond your supposed limit of 800yrds as quoted by Nosler, which, by the way, I find absolutely laughable.

End of discussion.

Cheers.

This is a timely post for me as I'm almost ready to drop off my parts to the gunsmith for my very first full custom build. I've been researching and gathering parts for more than a year and I was dead set on 30 Nosler as the perfect long range elk gun shooting the 215-230 class bullets. Here's where I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm not a reloader (yet) but wasn't too concerned with that. My gunsmith does load development and I figured I'd just give that recipe to a custom loader like Unknown Munitions and have them replicate the load for me. In this current climate I'm not so sure that's as easy as just placing an order. Everyone knows the shortages in ammo components right now and it makes me nervous that a 30 Nosler with a custom chamber might not shoot ANY of the factory offerings very well with it's much shorter SAAMI spec. That's where I've started considering the PRC again as it would be nice to be able to grab a box of factory ammo (after taking out a second mortgage) and have a decent chance of it shooting well. Not debating that the 30 Nosler isn't a better cartridge when throated properly, just starting to question if the PRC would be better for my situation.

👍 Good for you, my rifle is not a single shot, but I was comparing the 300WM to the PRC, not the 30 Nosler.
Most of my LR hunting rifles are customs with barrels of 28", 29", 30" and 32".
My factory rifles in magnum cals all have 26" barrels except my 375 Bee, it has a 24" barrel and works just fine with that length.
I am happy for you.
Oh, and I shoot my rifles well beyond your supposed limit of 800yrds as quoted by Nosler, which, by the way, I find absolutely laughable.

End of discussion.

Chee
I was going to retort but it's dinner time.
Hope you have an amazing hunting season and a great shooting year. I appreciate that you are a fellow hunter/shooter and hope that we can all support each other no matter what or how we shoot. All the best to you