300 PRC Too Much For Deer?

Hunting deer with a 300prc is like hunting moose with a bazooka. Does it's job but it's way over kill
Gotta disagree been going on for years, especially long range. Would you shoot a deer with a .308? Most folks would, the .300 just gives you better down range performance. Shooting the same bullet, a .300 @ 700 yards is like shooting a .308 @ 500...at least remaining velocity and energy wise, which would translate to same terminal performance.

There is no such thing as a do all rifle. Thats why we need so many.
First thing is have a good range finder and build a very accurate range card. Bullet placement is where its at. Can you practice enough to squeeze the trigger until the trigger brakes without closing your eyes and jerking it. At long range especially that is utmost important. When the shot goes off your eyes should be open, if not shoot and shoot more and it will fall into place. Do that and everything else will fall into place. Just saying.
By the way, that 300 PRC is an awesome cartridge. Check out the 33XC first and then you will really be confused. Good luck.

First thing is have a good range finder and build a very accurate range card. Bullet placement is where its at. Can you practice enough to squeeze the trigger until the trigger brakes without closing your eyes and jerking it. At long range especially that is utmost important. When the shot goes off your eyes should be open, if not shoot and shoot more and it will fall into place. Do that and everything else will fall into place. Just saying.
By the way, that 300 PRC is an awesome cartridge. Check out the 33XC first and then you will really be confused. Good luck.
My post was a sarcastic excuse for all of us to keep building more rifles.

Could you clarify what is being said? I'm not sure I understand.
I am saying the .300PRC is a powerhouse and will smoke a deer with proper bullet and shot placement. Even if it is overkill, dead is dead. If you only have a one (or even just a few) rifles, it will certainly get the job done, and then some.

But, I personally have put away my .300RUM (a little bit more overkill even) for deer sized game. It is a wrecking ball for closer shots on deer.

We hunt deer with a .257" to 7mm round. Have never had a deer go more than 50 yards. Usually, much less. And those 40-50 yard death sprints have all been with one certain bullet type (topic for another thread).

Remington did a great job with the 300 Rum !
Level 1 ammo 150 gr. Wt Deer
Level 2 ammo 180 gr. Mule deer
Level 3 ammo 200 gr plus Elk , Moose ect.
Then if your a reloader, run the 230 Bergers perfect for the experienced long range shooter . But I cant remember anybody I have met in my life that only has one Gun !
I'm putting a Carbon 300 Rum together now ! I'm excited to see it finnished !
Good Luck with your choice !!

Rum Man

I hope I didn't step on any toes. That was not my intention. I have more firearms than I need for sure.
I started having extra barrels cut for some rifles on hand. That was a lot less expensive than buying new rifles. I can change a barrel out at the range in about 15 minutes and have a different cartridge. I sent two GA Precision rifles to GAP, 260 Remington w/Defiance action, and they got another bolt, larger bolt face, and cut a 6.5 PRC barrel and for about $1300 I had another tack driver. Another one is a 308 and I have a 6BR barrel for it. I am about to get another barrel in .284 Winchester for that rifle. All you need is a barrel vice, an action wrench, a torque wrench and a c-clamp and in 15 minutes you are in another rifle at the range on the bench.
It works for me.

It will work.... don't have a 300PRC, but have a 300Norma. They work for little 100pound does and 320pound Canadian bucks. Running 225eldm in it. Every bullet and gun depends on shot placement. So just because the rifle has high energy doesn't mean it will kill instantly if you hit the critter in the hoof. Know your rifle and your real abilities and don't get caught up in all the hype for numbers and distance from the internet

I hunted New England and eastern Canada with a 300wm and 300wby for years. I use an 18" 06 for all of my bad weather or tracking work now. For sitting up I went to 270 in about 93 and I love the low recoil lightweight rifles I've used in this cartridge. 300wby and PRC are the same in terms of performance. The wby I ran 200 hot cor and partitions. Deer close ran 100-200yds unless I took out the shouders then I lost most of the meat. I tried 165's at reduced velocities of about 3000fps. 2 shed the jacket and the partition wouldn't shoot slow @ 3250-3300 it was a bomb. With a Hammer or Barnes it would be much better for close work.