300 PRC Too Much For Deer?

It's amazing that " Karamojo Bell " ( Walter Darlymple Maitland ) using the minuscule 6.5x54 MS with a 160 gr bullet at barely 2300 fps took over ( verified ) 400 head of every size of African plans game. NO SCOPE!! This was 120 years ago. He averaged 1 1/2 shots per animal. Meaning many were one shot kills. It appears skill is not being taken into this equation.
Didn't he head shoot most of his game?

Didn't he head shoot most of his game?

Yes, and he had far more opportunities than most of us will ever see, and also used heavy for caliber, heavy jacketed or solid bullets. I suspect that the preferred bullets used by many today, would create the scenario were the shooter would quickly become part of the landscape through either a thorough pummeling, or through the digestive track of a meat eater! :D memtb

Personally, given the criteria you listed with possible future larger animals and if your firearm inventory is "very limited", I would not consider the 300PRC "overkill" for deer sized animals at 300-600yds. However with an inventory that is more diverse and after many years of using most everything on deer and aging shoulders, I lean more toward the fast 6's, 25's, 6.5's, 7mm's, etc. I have used a 6AI with 105's to take deer and similar sized animals past 800yds with 100-105's taking numerous in the 4-650 range.

Your abilities are more important than the caliber, "within reason". If one desires, The 300's can be loaded down to reduce recoil, loaded with 130 TTSX for fast lower recoil deer loads, etc, etc.

I've been throwing around the idea of building another rifle for hunting game within 1000 yards. Average being 3-600 yards. Would like to be able to use the rifle for deer sized game, but also elk sized game if i ever make it out west. Would a 300PRC be to much gun for whitetail sized game? Or should i stick with a smaller caliber such as a 6.5PRC?

I had the same idea. One evening, after discussing all the merits of the myriad calibers with a friend, my long-suffering spouse asked us "What will that caliber do that your .30-06 won't?" After a few moments of silence she innocently asked "What about that .300 Weatherby/Remington you have never fired?"
Oh yeah. There is that.

I've shot multiple deer with 6.5mm, .270, 7mm, 308 and this year I tried a 338. Every deer I've shot has died, but each increase in caliber has brought a quicker more effective kill. Hands down the most effective caliber I've used is the 338. Virtually no meat loss. Double lung hit at 200 yards, yet the deer went down like a CNS shot.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that a larger caliber is a considerably more effective killer then what they are given credit for. Yes a 243 will do the job. But I think I'm sold on 30 caliber and up.

Not too much. Just finished hunting in South Texas where I shot a yearling buck (thought it was a doe) at about 120yds at dusk with my .300 Wby Mag using 168 gr Barnes TTSX moving at about 3200fps. Could not see the entry hole when I got to him, but the exit looked worse than it was. While there's a clear flap of skin removed, just the meat around a rather neat 3/4" hole at the exit was really damaged. Deer dropped right where I shot him and placement was right behind the front shoulder. He dressed about 60#.
20191209_180410.jpg
20191209_180410.jpg
20191209_185721.jpg

So, no. I don't think it's too much.

I've shot multiple deer with 6.5mm, .270, 7mm, 308 and this year I tried a 338. Every deer I've shot has died, but each increase in caliber has brought a quicker more effective kill. Hands down the most effective caliber I've used is the 338. Virtually no meat loss. Double lung hit at 200 yards, yet the deer went down like a CNS shot.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that a larger caliber is a considerably more effective killer then what they are given credit for. Yes a 243 will do the job. But I think I'm sold on 30 caliber and up.

A lot of calibers and cartridges kill, and after 50+ years of personal hunting in which I have killed deer numbering into the three figures and seen, dressed and heard about many hundreds more from family and close friends, we have seen/used 12ga slugs, 54/50 cal muzzle loaders, 45-70's, 444's 44mag rifles, 375's, varied 35's, 338mags and 338-06, and a host of smaller calibers including magnums all inflicting solid lung/heart hits, occasionally regardless of caliber, allow deer to run a distance before expiring.

Small sample size or a single DRT kill for caliber/cartridge is statistically insignificant, as so many on here will attest. Personally, I have lung shot a couple of whitetail with my 338WM, and they ran 50 yards or so before falling, and then I have body shot a few deer with a 223 that dropped instantly. YMMV

Last edited:
Get the 300prc .its nowhere near overkill for deer .its just about perfect for all around hunting in North America

I bought my first 300 RUM in 99 or 2000. All my other guns got moved to the back of the safe shortly thereafter. Its been my go to gun for everything. Its not overkill, so a 300 prc wouldn't be either.

Do whatever y'all want. Ultimately whatever floats your boat. But no, a 30cal magnum isn't needed to kill a deer. Every deer, whitetail and Mule Deer, my family has killed in the last 10yrs, including a 500lb Gemsbok, a bunch of varmints, a chicken, pigs, pronghorns and audads, have been killed with calibers ranging from .224-6.5mm. Every single one have been one shot kills. Dead right there with a handful who hunched up and wobbled 30 yards. Very rare though.

Bullet selection plays a far greater role than bore size on medium sized game. Personally, There's no satisfaction like the experience of Killing an animal with a fast twist 22 or a slow twist 6mm. My little 22 Dasher thumps them hard.

Nothing wrong with overkill if that's the boat you wanna float. But there's also nothing wrong with the right amount of gun. Being in the Texas hunting business I've seen more sad faces than happy with shooters using magnum rifles to kill a sub 300lb deer. I just personally think it's unnecessary. I also think less than 1% of whitetail deer are killed over 300 yards, arguably 200yds. And I live in west Texas. We can see for MILES.

@Kyle Backenstoes don't let me and my opinion, or the guys that are offended by my opinion, change your mind. What you believe and think is ultimately right. If you need one gun that can kill everything you set your sights on the a 30cal magnum is hard to argue. If you want a gun now that will kill deer effectively and in time build a gun that will effectively kill large game. That's ok too. (I'm currently building a 300nmi for big game hunting) I think building a gun that you can own multiple barrels and bolt heads would suit you well. Research and make the decision that you want. We are always here to help spend your money!

Joe S

Why is it ok to use a .308, 30-06 or 300 WM to hunt deer but not a 300PRC? Especially if you reload. Create some reduced loads with lighter bullets if you feel the need. In my experience I can say that Coues and Mule deer probably don't need it but Whitetail are some tough animals.

I have a 6.5 PRC and have used it on Whitetail and Coues. I have thought about using it on Elk but would limit myself to 400-500 yards. I will be building a 300 PRC for elk size game this year and will have no issues using it on deer as well.

I feel it's more about bullet selection and shot placement. There is no do-it-all rifle or bullet.
You think a whitetail I'd tougher than a mule deer lol? I don't see it.