300 PRC Too Much For Deer?

Back in the early 1990's I put my 338 mag ,300 mag aside & started using my 6.5x308 wild cat at the time & 6.5x55 using the Barnes 120/130 gr X bullets for elk. Have never regretted it Never lost an elk. Put elk down every bit as easily as the heavier rounds. A tough deep penetrating bullet properly placed works every time.

Gotta disagree been going on for years, especially long range. Would you shoot a deer with a .308? Most folks would, the .300 just gives you better down range performance. Shooting the same bullet, a .300 @ 700 yards is like shooting a .308 @ 500...at least remaining velocity and energy wise, which would translate to same terminal performance.

Agreed! The .300 WM remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards.

To the OP,

No, the .300 PRC is not too much for a deer, it is all about bullet selection and shot placement.

Below is my WT doe harvest (.300WSM, 215 Berger 2800 FPS MV, taken at 258 yards) this year ...

2019 WT doe 1 of 3.jpg

2019 WT doe 2 of 3.jpg

Exit wound

2019 WT doe 3 of 3.jpg

I'm in agreement with(BoomFlop) & (SealTeam4) On the off chance you MIGHT come out West...seems like you'd be over-gunned with that once in a lifetime rifle. Nearly everything you'd shoot with it will waste a lot of meat, not to mention the recoil.
And, seems I've read a bit here on guys taking Elk at range with the 65. I think the 65 would do you proud for a long time. My.02

I've been throwing around the idea of building another rifle for hunting game within 1000 yards. Average being 3-600 yards. Would like to be able to use the rifle for deer sized game, but also elk sized game if i ever make it out west. Would a 300PRC be to much gun for whitetail sized game? Or should i stick with a smaller caliber such as a 6.5PRC?

No! memtb

I use my Sendero 300WM on deer especially when sitting monster fields and chance at larger bucks at distance. Still use same elk load of 200AB @2950 fps. Deer don't seem to mind being hit with bigger bullet that I can see. Never felt recoil at game so the recoil discussion never held water for me. Do I shoot it for grins? Nope, shoot my 51 year old rebarreled .270 that is fun to shoot or .243. Killed about 140+ class buck this year at 270 yards with the 300WM. Deer went 70 yards which is no different than 6.5, .270, 30-06, .308 etc. So my answer would be get the 300PRC knowing what it is and use it for whatever you want. Like I said, never felt recoil shooting game. I am pretty certain that is true for 99.99% of shooters here as well. This may open up avenues for "lighter" calibers for shooting grins which I can't find any fault in that logic.

I've never noticed recoil when shooting at game, either. But I DO notice it when I'm practicing, and shooting at a target. I also practice a whole lot more when I'm not being bothered by recoil, and this makes me a better shooter when it's time to shoot at a game animal. I think that most of us fit into that mold. I use the mid-sized rounds for this reason.

Some guys use the muzzle brakes that can be removed and replaced with a thread protector to use while hunting. One could have a practice load for his 300 magnum that recoils like a 308, and go with full-power loads on the elk hunt. Finding a light-bullet load that matches the hunting load's trajectory is sometimes a trick, but it's doable. There's no perfect solution, but there are lots of options out there.

I have thinking this one over also. I'm trying to decide between 65 and 300 prc. I already have a 270 for deer and a 300 ultra for elk, but am thinking about shooting long range for fun.

Agree about never feeling the recoil on game.

You seem to be asking what is the best all around rifle. To me all about shot placement and distance. I hunt on occasion with an older indigenous man. I have seen this guy take down elk with a 3030. Distance inside 200 yards. The shot placement perfect every time. So my view would be to buy the rifle you can shoot best and hunt within the distance that you can make great shot placement consistently.

Are we really saying a 300 Win Mag or 300 PRC is too much for deer?

I get the recoil part but the OP never mentioned being recoil sensitive.

The simple question was, is a 300 PRC too much for whitetail. The answer is no, and we know some folks here use way bigger cartridges and there ain't nothing wrong with that either.

We know bigger bores do have an advantage when killing an animal amd if there is the posibility of elk down the road why not be ready for it.

Maybe the OP has budget for one do it all rifle and not for more, just saying maybe no pun intended.

As I mentioned in my first post, it is not too much for white, however, it is far more than needed.

If the OP'er has the financial ability to "build" a custom rifle and has not been "out west" yet in his life, my only suggestion was to cross the elk cartridge if that hunt happens. I mean the non-resident elk tag costs as much as a good factory rifle, not to mention all the other gear and expenses involved.

No way would a 300 PRC be my go to whitetail Rifle in PA.

But again, it's not my decision.

Steve

No, the .300 PRC is not too much for a deer, it is all about bullet selection and shot placement.
I have shot deer with a .300 and a certain mono (hunting) bullet behind the shoulder and was nowhere near impressed with the terminal performance. One of the most devastating deer bullet/cartridges I've seen was a .257 Weatherby with ballistic tips. Those that say a larger caliber does too much damage aren't heeding what I quoted what FEENIX wrote.
I have shot deer with a .375 Snipetac and the wrong bullet, it was devastating to say the least (shot placement had a lot to do with that as well). I've also shot game with a .408 Cheytac and a mono bullet that is advertised for hunting and was no where near impressed with a soft tissue hit (behind shoulder). If the hit were in the shoulder and encountered bone then the damage may have been greater.

Why is it ok to use a .308, 30-06 or 300 WM to hunt deer but not a 300PRC? Especially if you reload. Create some reduced loads with lighter bullets if you feel the need. In my experience I can say that Coues and Mule deer probably don't need it but Whitetail are some tough animals.

I have a 6.5 PRC and have used it on Whitetail and Coues. I have thought about using it on Elk but would limit myself to 400-500 yards. I will be building a 300 PRC for elk size game this year and will have no issues using it on deer as well.

I feel it's more about bullet selection and shot placement. There is no do-it-all rifle or bullet.

300prc is fine for deer, and a 6.5prc is fine for elk. My 6.5 Creedmoor took two bulls this year at 525 and 425, both one shot kills and neither went more than 20 yards. It's also enjoyable to practice with. And it's not about whether you feel recoil when hunting, it's about when you are practicing and developing your skills or conversely, bad habits due to recoil. Get what you want, practice and stay within your capabilities. Either cartridge is will work well.

I have shot deer with a .300 and a certain mono (hunting) bullet behind the shoulder and was nowhere near impressed with the terminal performance. One of the most devastating deer bullet/cartridges I've seen was a .257 Weatherby with ballistic tips. Those that say a larger caliber does too much damage aren't heeding what I quoted what FEENIX wrote.
I have shot deer with a .375 Snipetac and the wrong bullet, it was devastating to say the least (shot placement had a lot to do with that as well). I've also shot game with a .408 Cheytac and a mono bullet that is advertised for hunting and was no where near impressed with a soft tissue hit (behind shoulder). If the hit were in the shoulder and encountered bone then the damage may have been greater.

Mine was 175 Matrix VLD off my .270 AI at 2993 FPS on WT doe at 125 or so ...

WT Doe 1 of 2.jpg

WT Doe 2 of 2.jpg

It is a heart shot, not a gut shot.

It's amazing that " Karamojo Bell " ( Walter Darlymple Maitland ) using the minuscule 6.5x54 MS with a 160 gr bullet at barely 2300 fps took over ( verified ) 400 head of every size of African plans game. NO SCOPE!! This was 120 years ago. He averaged 1 1/2 shots per animal. Meaning many were one shot kills. It appears skill is not being taken into this equation. Any of the before mentioned cartridges including the 6.5 are very capable of taking elk. I have observed many hunters take elk cleanly with the 6.5 & 270 using 120 to 130 gr copper mono bullets. I have also observed elk shot & wounded with heavy calibers requiring multiple shots because of poor shot placement. Sometimes lost. Ever see an elk run on three legs. They will leave you in the dust & travel miles. It still comes down to the proper bullet, properly placed. If the big boomers give you confidence go for it. But the 6.5's will take elk cleanly just as they have taken heavy game all around the world for 120 + years. . The Swedes have been using the 6.5x55 to take moose very successfully since 1893.