Is .300 Dakota too much for a magnum M70 action?

Shikari

If not, then what barrel length and twist rate would you recommend for the Sierra 240gr MK?

Thanks

No. And depends on what you want to do with it. More of a carry gun? Light weight rifle, or heavy bench gun? And how far do you want to shoot?

For that bullet a 10 twist will be fine.

Heavy Bench Gun. I already have a light gun. What I really want to do is build something that can reach WAAAAAY out there. I'd really like to see what kind of group I can get at a mile. Built to Heavy Gun rules, I can use in in competition as well.

Thinking about a Lilja barrel. Had one on a .22-250 several years ago and....wow! I'd like to go beyond the 30" tubes that others offer.

Thanks, Shikari ("Hunter" in Farsi. That's on the side of my Humvee when I go on patrol here in Afghanistan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Well then somewhere around 34-36in should work fine. Why the dakota, and not something a little easier/cheaper to find brass for?

What branch/MOS?

After my last post on here, I did a forum search on the .300 Dakota. The consensus seems to be that it's not worth the extra expense. For some reason I had it in my mind that the Dakota held a lot more powder. I'll go with something cheaper, like a .300 Wby Imp or even a "plain-jane" .300 Win Mag.

A couple of years ago I had a factory M70 in .300 WM. I'm kicking myself for selling it now. It was a sweet shooter for a factory gun. Sub-MOA with reloads.

I'm in the Army National Guard. I did 4 1/2 years active and now 5years+ in the guard. I'm a 19K (M1 tanker) but I'm in Afghanistan as infantry. They changed TX NG from Armor to Infantry. They took away our tanks 2 months after I reenlisted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The 300 Dakota is based on the 404 Jeffery case but shotened to work in 30-06 length actions. The 300 ultra mag also based on the 404 Jeffery case but longer thus requiring a mag length action the ultra mag case for extreme range offers more performance than the Dakota case. The ultra mag should be able to push the 240 grain SMK to 2800 or so fps.

Shikari, if you aint Infantry, you aint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Nah!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think you would be better served by the 300RUM shooting 220 or 240SMK's, on a Darryl barrel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, if you really want to get out there.
I love the 300win, in fact I believe its just about the perfect round, for out to 1200+/-yds, however past that my 300Tommy( 300RUM IMP) is better. Alot better.

.300 RUM Improved? Hmmmmmm.....do you own the reamer? Could my 'smith use it? Sounds interesting.

No I dont own it. Ray Romain does. Ph# (814)-265-1948. It called the 300Tomahawk, and increases case capacity( depending on who you ask) by 6-8gr. Personaly I like it and Ray did a good job building it. It is without a doubt the easiest gun to kill deer with, that I have shot. Makes it almost too easy under a thousand.
PB220022_0022.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Charles-
What kind of barrel life are you getting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I dont really know about this one. It is a LR hunting gun, and is never really shot more then a couple times without cooling, I only have about 200 rounds down it now, but it should be like all the other big magnums, 8-1,200 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.