.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

Litehiker,

I think what I going to tell you now might surprise you. I will be using a S&B PM2 milrad adjustments with a H59 reticle and Larue mounts. I know the Tremor 2 and 3 very well, but for me I get a bit lost in the reticle pattern of the Tremor reticle. I do speak for only about 5% of the rest of the guys out there that uses the Tremor reticle.

I also use the 4500 Kestral/AB ballistics set up. It is very accurate, but a bit fragile. I back the Kestrel up with a Whiz wheel that also works on a G7 ballistic drag curve that is custom made to your specific rifle/ammo combination. Check it out on You Tube. This is from Accuracy 1st website and I highly rate this product. It is very accurate in the supersonic range of the bullet but does not account for cross wind jump or accurate sub sonic range of the bullet. It is robust, weighs nothing, does not work on batteries and you can use it ANYWHERE on the planet. I normally back this up with a 5.11 Ballistic watch as well. It works on a G7 drag curve and is ok out to about 800m plus for a .308 if you set up correctly.

In regards to hunting in South Africa like Kudu that you get more than often in the mountainous area's, you need to be very quick with your calculations. These animals does not hang around for too long. Here I use the Burris Eliminator 3. Without going into any detail, watch YouTube. It is lightning fast and accurate to about a 1000 yards IF you set it up correctly. The down side is that the mounts are not that robust and that is where it will need some improvement.Hopefully the next model coming out will rectify this!

Hunting in the UK is a complete different ball game. I have used a very good Swarovski scope, the current S&B scope, but the best scope I have used so far is the Zeiss Hensholdt. For me, I more favour the European optics. No offence, but I think the glass is better probably going against the findings of the test you guys might have done. Over here we hunt in very low light conditions and without premium glass, you cannot squeeze out that extra 10 or 15 min of the day. You might say that it sounds not like long at all, but it makes a huge difference.

Finally, I am going to have a decent long range gun by the end of August. Most of the parts will be from New Zealand, but it will be world class. I just want to be the best I can be trying to read the conditions and ballistic as well as I can.

So, there you have it, we might not be so far behind the curve than what you guys might think over there! 40% of my kit is still American! After all, my next gun got developed in America too!

I am getting parts together for a 300 norma build. I will use it for hunting and at the range as well. Will be using 215 and 230 gr bullets. A few barrel questions for guys that have experience with them. Leaning toward 27 or 28 inches.

4 groove or 6?

9 twist or 10?

Elkhunter,

Even a 27" barrel is quite long. I'd check with Berger or some other bullet company's ballistics people to see just how many feet per second of muzzle velocity you will lose with a 26" barrel.

I'll bet the amount will be very small if any.

There may be online calculators to help you as well.

Elkhunter,

You will lose on AVERAGE 25fps for every inch that the barrel is shorter between 25" and 30".I would go for a 1:9 twist because of the heavier bullets that you will be using. The faster twist rate will only increace girlscopic stability if you want to start pushing the ranges. I am getting a 300NM built for myself and I will be using a 26" barrel with a 1:8 twist rate. This was a remmondatation of one of the most respected shooters/trainers in the States that I will not name on this forum. To his credit, he is in a complete different class when it comes to pushing the ranges. My gun will be built around the 230grn Berger VLD bullet. Many people will say that the twist rate I chose will be too fast, but I 100% trust the person that gave me the info because of his reputation.

I hope this helps.

Elkhunter,

Please let me do some "digging" and I will get back to you. I do not want to give you the wrong info.

Great stuff! Send some photo's when the job is done! The 8 twist is going to do a great job on the 230grn Bergers. Especially if you want to start pushing the distance.

Really Nice rifle Kiwi Greg :)

Still waiting for my smith to finish mine..

Specs:

Hansen 706 FBR single shot action ( very similar to Stolle Panda, but steel instead of alu) 30 MOA picatinny.
33" Krieger 1-9 twist.
Mcmillan A5 Supermag with sniperfill.(Grey/black)
Kahles 6-24 in Spuhr Mount.
Atlas 5-H bipod.
cal 300 Norma 35* IMP.

I was about to give up on my Norma. Boy am I glad I didn't! Shot several 3/4 to 1" 3-shot groups at 355y last night. Berger 215's over 88gr of N570 moving at 3150fps. Apparently my rifle loves N570.

I was about to give up on my Norma. Boy am I glad I didn't! Shot several 3/4 to 1" 3-shot groups at 355y last night. Berger 215's over 88gr of N570 moving at 3150fps. Apparently my rifle loves N570.

Pictures!

Attachments

• 1719CB23-5A76-422E-AB69-8F9C9656D329_zpsjbe6onib.jpg
    1719CB23-5A76-422E-AB69-8F9C9656D329_zpsjbe6onib.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 151
  • FC5789AF-0E34-48E3-9BBE-939274422A74_zpsodxdpzxz.jpg
    FC5789AF-0E34-48E3-9BBE-939274422A74_zpsodxdpzxz.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 588C45FA-87EC-4D48-92A4-FC972AFF9A75_zpsgxvn9dkf.jpg
    588C45FA-87EC-4D48-92A4-FC972AFF9A75_zpsgxvn9dkf.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 146