300 Norma Improved and 245 Bergers

rpierce

Official LRH Sponsor
So I built a brand new 300 Norma Improved for myself a few months back. I decided I wanted to get it as light as possible and still be able to spot hits. I went with the Bat Vesper action as it will enable the use of the 3.950 mags from Unknown Munitions as this will be built around the 245 Berger LRHT. I knew the LRHT bullets work on game based on previous experience from customers etc. The 245 LRHT is a very long bullet and has a BC of .846. That puts it way ahead of any other bullet out there that would also work on game. I throated the 8.5 tw 26" Benchmark Carbon Sendero way out there for the 245 berger. It won't fit in 3.770 mags unless its way off the lands. This would put it below the unsized portion of the neck, which I don't want. During barrel break in I put 100 rounds down the barrel with 245s and N570. During this time I shot at my 890 yd target in winds up to 25 MPH. Not one shot went out of elk vitals. No wind flags. I was very impressed with how well this 245 did in the wind.

After the barrel was done speeding up I did a powder charge test and noticed there was a mile wide node at 2900 fps. ES was 8 fps for a grain spread in powder. While its definitely not a fast load this combo still holds 1500 ft lbs of energy past 1500 yds at elk hunting altitudes. Brass will last over 20 firings no problem. A 300 gr berger cant beat this combo til its going 3000+ fps. With a little seating depth testing I found the sweet spot around .040 off. It shot a 3 shot group at 100 that measured .070". And has shot several 1/4 moa or better groups at 100 since then. At my 890 yd target it will hold 2-3" every time. At 1160 yds it was 4" vertical for 5 shots. We did shoot a group at 1905 yds that appeared to be right under 1 moa based on measuring with the reticle.

I did find that I had to put the NF ATACR on it to balance it out since I had a TBAC Dominus on the front end. Between putting the 4-20 ATACR on it and throwing the MDT bipod on it that set the bipod further forward it made this rifle track like a dream. A well balanced rifle is easy to shoot. Reticle hardly leaves the target during recoil. When it wasn't balanced properly it hopped all over due to being front heavy and the bipod a hair further back.

This rifle will be the one I grab for any hunt that has a chance of some longer shots on big game.

Rifle has the following parts:
Bat Vesper
Manners Pro Hunter in high plains camo
Benchmark 26" 8.5 tw with 1.250 shank
Triggertech Diamond set at 1.5 lbs
Unknown Munitions Bottom metal and Mags
NF ATACR 4-20
TBAC Dominus SR
MDT Lightweight Double Pull bipod

Rifle is 7 lbs 12 oz without suppressor, optics or bipod.
10 lbs 3 oz with NF 4-20 ATACR and no suppressor or bipod.

Lead times on builds are 6 months right now. Parts are on the shelf.
Finishing up a pile of builds in the next month for customers so that will make room for more builds.

403399870_1540504560099736_5282463430825170755_n.jpg
407148155_1314049975963128_8682526328422221323_n.jpg
409630949_347570741368625_1994742619420227117_n.jpg
100 yd group.jpg
3 shots .146@100.jpg
3@890.jpg
3@890 in 15 mph winds.jpg
tight vertical at 890 yds 15mph wind.jpg

So I built a brand new 300 Norma Improved for myself a few months back. I decided I wanted to get it as light as possible and still be able to spot hits. I went with the Bat Vesper action as it will enable the use of the 3.950 mags from Unknown Munitions as this will be built around the 245 Berger LRHT. I knew the LRHT bullets work on game based on previous experience from customers etc. The 245 LRHT is a very long bullet and has a BC of .846. That puts it way ahead of any other bullet out there that would also work on game. I throated the 8.5 tw 26" Benchmark Carbon Sendero way out there for the 245 berger. It won't fit in 3.770 mags unless its way off the lands. This would put it below the unsized portion of the neck, which I don't want. During barrel break in I put 100 rounds down the barrel with 245s and N570. During this time I shot at my 890 yd target in winds up to 25 MPH. Not one shot went out of elk vitals. No wind flags. I was very impressed with how well this 245 did in the wind.

After the barrel was done speeding up I did a powder charge test and noticed there was a mile wide node at 2900 fps. ES was 8 fps for a grain spread in powder. While its definitely not a fast load this combo still holds 1500 ft lbs of energy past 1500 yds at elk hunting altitudes. Brass will last over 20 firings no problem. A 300 gr berger cant beat this combo til its going 3000+ fps. With a little seating depth testing I found the sweet spot around .040 off. It shot a 3 shot group at 100 that measured .070". And has shot several 1/4 moa or better groups at 100 since then. At my 890 yd target it will hold 2-3" every time. At 1160 yds it was 4" vertical for 5 shots. We did shoot a group at 1905 yds that appeared to be right under 1 moa based on measuring with the reticle.

I did find that I had to put the NF ATACR on it to balance it out since I had a TBAC Dominus on the front end. Between putting the 4-20 ATACR on it and throwing the MDT bipod on it that set the bipod further forward it made this rifle track like a dream. A well balanced rifle is easy to shoot. Reticle hardly leaves the target during recoil. When it wasn't balanced properly it hopped all over due to being front heavy and the bipod a hair further back.

This rifle will be the one I grab for any hunt that has a chance of some longer shots on big game.

Bat Vesper
NF ATACR 4-20
TBAC Dominus SR

Finishing up a pile of builds in the next month for customers so that will make room for more builds.

View attachment 528716View attachment 528717View attachment 528718View attachment 528719View attachment 528720View attachment 528721View attachment 528723View attachment 528724
That a beauty of a rig.

Bat Vesper
NF ATACR 4-20
TBAC Dominus SR

View attachment 528716View attachment 528717View attachment 528718View attachment 528719View attachment 528720View attachment 528721View attachment 528723View attachment 528724
Great report!!

For your personal builds, how do you specifically justify a carbon barrel over a steel barrel? A steel Benchmark #6 weighs exactly the same as a their Carbon Sendero. So I like hearing opinions on the two from prominent gunsmiths. I've had two benchmark carbons and 2 benchmark steels now, and can't personally find a benefit of the carbon. But I'm sure you have reasons, which I'd love to hear also.

Great report!!

For your personal builds, how do you specifically justify a carbon barrel over a steel barrel? A steel Benchmark #6 weighs exactly the same as a their Carbon Sendero. So I like hearing opinions on the two from prominent gunsmiths. I've had two benchmark carbons and 2 benchmark steels now, and can't personally find a benefit of the carbon. But I'm sure you have reasons, which I'd love to hear also.
Mainly due to the bigger muzzle diameter on the carbons. It looks alot better with my 5 port brake on there. On sporter contours it looks like a brick hanging on the end. A smaller 3 port brake isn't sufficient on a 300 norma improved for 90% or more of the shooters out there. They cant properly handle the recoil to shoot consistently. The 5 port makes spotting your hits and consistent long range accuracy a breeze. I can actually watch the vapor trail of the bullet while shooting off the bipod with my 5 port brake. I shoot suppressed on all my personal rifles. Not as effective as the 5 port but I can shoot lighter weight magnums off a bipod better than most people can shoot a 22 lb fclass rifle.

Mainly due to the bigger muzzle diameter on the carbons. It looks alot better with my 5 port brake on there. On sporter contours it looks like a brick hanging on the end. A smaller 3 port brake isn't sufficient on a 300 norma improved for 90% or more of the shooters out there. They cant properly handle the recoil to shoot consistently. The 5 port makes spotting your hits and consistent long range accuracy a breeze. I can actually watch the vapor trail of the bullet while shooting off the bipod with my 5 port brake. I shoot suppressed on all my personal rifles. Not as effective as the 5 port but I can shoot lighter weight magnums off a bipod better than most people can shoot a 22 lb fclass rifle.
Awesome! Thank you for the response dude. I assumed it had to do with the larger muzzle end and cleanliness of the look of brakes also.

So did you even run it to pressure ?
Just curious to see how fast you could get the 245 going.
i did. im running the dominus SR which is a high back pressure suppressor. i hit pressure at 3050 fps. i don't think it would of had pressure if I used a brake instead. or if I used my tbac 338 ultra SR suppressor. but with the 2900 fps node being as wide as it was and as accurate as it was i didn't care about the loss in fps.

i did. im running the dominus SR which is a high back pressure suppressor. i hit pressure at 3050 fps. i don't think it would of had pressure if I used a brake instead. or if I used my tbac 338 ultra SR suppressor. but with the 2900 fps node being as wide as it was and as accurate as it was i didn't care about the loss in fps.
That's some impressive numbers with a 245 @3050

Bat Vesper
NF ATACR 4-20
TBAC Dominus SR

What is your thoughts about running a proof barrel?