300 Hammer - AR-15 Platform

Bill Wilson is in another very lengthy Forum on the topic I've been following. Numbers look good and have been followed and supported by other nothing to gain shooters.

Is it still based on the .223 case? Looking at the SAAMI velocity specs, I don't see it being that much if any faster than the blackout; certainly not enough to justify limited Ammo sources.

Is it still based on the .223 case? Looking at the SAAMI velocity specs, I don't see it being that much if any faster than the blackout; certainly not enough to justify limited Ammo sources.
Yes, still based off 223 case-- shoulder is farther forward than a 300bo so it holds more powder than a 300bo with lighter bullets-- its not as ideal for subsonic heavies (200-220 gr) though like the 300bo was designed for.
If you want a fast 30 cal in an ar15 id try the 30 hrt (6.8 spc brass), or something like a 300 sabercat (dasher brass)

Yes, still based off 223 case-- shoulder is farther forward than a 300bo so it holds more powder than a 300bo with lighter bullets-- its not as ideal for subsonic heavies (200-220 gr) though like the 300bo was designed for.
If you want a fast 30 cal in an ar15 id try the 30 hrt (6.8 spc brass), or something like a 300 sabercat (dasher brass)
I'm working on a 6.5 Dasher at the moment. The Dasher case holds 6 more grains than my Grendel cases.

The 300 hmr is for 150gr and less so it would produce higher velocity. As mentioned it does't gain much. I would take the gren or spc case and neck up depending on how much more velocity he wants? Commercial brass other than custom will be a choice!

I've been hunting with one for several years now. I've taken 2 deer, 2 hogs, and a feral goat. It's a 30-30 with better bullets. It clearly outclasses the 300 BLK, sorry BLK fans, and, on paper at least, outclasses the 350 Legend. It's extremely accurate with lighter bullets, 110-130, where sub MOA is the norm. With those bullets it delivers the prerequisite 1000 foot pounds of energy out to 200 yards. With 150 grains it's shoots just over and inch and will deliver the 1000 lbs just passed 300 yards. It's definitely a reloaders cartridge as Wilson is the only one making ammo. The last time I bought brass it was 30 cents a piece. With a $20 jig from Etsy that fits in the Harbor freight jig saw it's easy to make brass out of 223 brass. I chose the 16" barrel as Wilson claims on 11 FPS per inch in this gun. The entire gun scoped, slinged, and loaded with a 10 round mag doesn't break 8lbs! Wilson claims near 308 performance, when using a 308 in a 16" barrel, and I see no reason to doubt him as I've been able to verify every claim he's made about the cartridge. Tip: It absolutely rocks with hunting bullets designed for the BLK!!! The 150 Speer BLK is nothing shot of awesome on game! I'm still waiting to try the 135 that Hornady developed for the BLK. If it goes sub MOA then that will be my go to bullet.

I've been hunting with one for several years now. I've taken 2 deer, 2 hogs, and a feral goat. It's a 30-30 with better bullets. It clearly outclasses the 300 BLK, sorry BLK fans, and, on paper at least, outclasses the 350 Legend. It's extremely accurate with lighter bullets, 110-130, where sub MOA is the norm. With those bullets it delivers the prerequisite 1000 foot pounds of energy out to 200 yards. With 150 grains it's shoots just over and inch and will deliver the 1000 lbs just passed 300 yards. It's definitely a reloaders cartridge as Wilson is the only one making ammo. The last time I bought brass it was 30 cents a piece. With a $20 jig from Etsy that fits in the Harbor freight jig saw it's easy to make brass out of 223 brass. I chose the 16" barrel as Wilson claims on 11 FPS per inch in this gun. The entire gun scoped, slinged, and loaded with a 10 round mag doesn't break 8lbs! Wilson claims near 308 performance, when using a 308 in a 16" barrel, and I see no reason to doubt him as I've been able to verify every claim he's made about the cartridge. Tip: It absolutely rocks with hunting bullets designed for the BLK!!! The 150 Speer BLK is nothing shot of awesome on game! I'm still waiting to try the 135 that Hornady developed for the BLK. If it goes sub MOA then that will be my go to bullet.
So people can see a comparison for 16" barrels--- can you post your speeds from 110, 125/130, and 150 gr bullets?

With a $20 jig from Etsy that fits in the Harbor freight jig saw it's easy to make brass out of 223 brass.
Sounds fun! I'd have to stop giving away my fired 223 brass!
It absolutely rocks with hunting bullets designed for the BLK!!! The 150 Speer BLK is nothing shot of awesome on game! I'm still waiting to try the 135 that Hornady developed for the BLK. If it goes sub MOA then that will be my go to bullet.
This sounds exciting!

A worthy note: The only ammo I saw left on the shelves at the Farm & Fleet was 350 Legend. 4 types with 50 or so boxes. Made me wonder if its too new a cartridge to have caught on, or it sucks.

I don't for a second believe it is 300fps faster than the 300 blackout. There just isn't that much powder capacity in a 223 case. I run 120 grain Barnes TAC-TX at 2315 out of my 8" SBR. With a 16" barrel it would be around 200fps faster so it would be very close to the 300 HAMR.

I remember at one time there was a 7.62X40, based off the 5.56 case, that someone had, forget who. Dillon was advertising it. With this small a case you're not going to gain much. Shoulder is the same just moved forward. But if your building new, why not give it a try? Fun's fun right. As for brass, I do see a few outfits that offer it, but you can be like the rest of us and "make your own" if push comes to shove.

Sounds fun! I'd have to stop giving away my fired 223 brass!

This sounds exciting!

A worthy note: The only ammo I saw left on the shelves at the Farm & Fleet was 350 Legend. 4 types with 50 or so boxes. Made me wonder if its too new a cartridge to have caught on, or it sucks.
@BFD Guns With the shortage of brass nowadays I don't give away ANYTHING! I host a Law Enforcement Tactical shoot every year and I never have a problem getting help because the coppers don't police their brass, we do (LOL). 9MM, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 223 brass by the bucket full.

@BFD Guns With the shortage of brass nowadays I don't give away ANYTHING! I host a Law Enforcement Tactical shoot every year and I never have a problem getting help because the coppers don't police their brass, we do (LOL). 9MM, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 223 brass by the bucket full.
Well, I will clarify. I give it to a youth shootings sports director, she turns it in for scrap prices and buys trophies for the kids.