300 Grain Bergers

just one question???

the berger 300grs could work in a 340wby velocities???

or is better to use a 250grs????

bets regards

OK Guys here is the first five and details.

Not the typical group for this rifle but please keep these things in mind.

1: High noon bright sun and the mirage was aweful.. cross hais were moving 2 to 3" even when I turned the scope down. So I shot this at 32x and did what I could.

2: Since the mirage was so bad I simply shot the group with no cool time.

3: 7 mph variable 3 to 4 oclock wind

4: Fresh cleaned bore this morning with 3 dry patches after cleaning and no fouling rounds.

5: Reduced starting load , last time I increased the load 2.5 gr with this rifle it cut the groups in half. So I am optimistic these Bergers will too.

On a Positive note:

Almost 3/4 moa on the first try I am sure I will do better when mirage lays down.

Take off that low one and the other 4 are under 1/2 moa.

P O I has the same elevation as SMK's at 300 yds which is my zero on this rifle.

More later!

Jeff gun)gun)

DSC02312Small.jpg

Broz,

Thanks for keeping us up to date. This will be very interesting to follow.

So, same POI as SMK at 300yds even with 2.5g reduced load. Little upswing in BC evident there even at that short range. Did you happen or do you plan to get any chrono readings in this process?

Jon

Jon, Yes, you can see I was about 1 .25 moa left but elevation was good with 2.5 gr less powder. I am not sure how much the elevation will change. I just loaded 10 more with an increased charge of 92.5 gr. This was my sweet spot with the 300 SMK's. So I will see if it raises POI and then yes I would say BC improvement. I plan to let the sun settle a bit to loose some mirage and shoot another group at 300 let the barrel cool and shoot the next 5 shots at 500 using the EXBAL suggested elevation with the .891 BC.

If all goes well I will shoot a group at 1000 later this evening.

I have two chronys and they both read different by sometimes 40 to 60 fps. So until I get a better one I use the suggested BC and a tradgectory validation with exbal to get MV. The 300 SMK's and 92.5 gr load had an exbal MV of 2805. This number and the .768 bc of the SMK was very close out to 1400 yards.

Jeff gun)gun)

Last edited:
Jon, Yes, you can see I was about 1 .25 moa left but elevation was good with 2.5 gr less powder. I am nor sure how much the elevation will change. I just loaded 10 more with an increased charge of 92.5 gr. This was my sweet spot with the 300 SMK's. So I will see if it raises POI and then yes I would say BC improvement. I plan to let the sun settle a bit to loose some mirage and shoot another group at 300 let the barrel cool and shoot the next 5 shots at 500 using the EXBAL suggested elevation with the .891 BC.

If all goes well I will shoot a group at 1000 later this evening.

I have two chronys and they both read different by sometimes 40 to 60 fps. So until I get a better one I use the suggested BC and a tradgectory validation with exbal to get MV. The 300 SMK's and 92.5 gr load had an exbal MV of 2850. This number and the .768 bc of the SMK was very close out to 1400 yards.

Jeff gun)gun)

Don't keep us up too late tonight waiting to see what you find out! :D

You will be fine, I am redy to shoot but I keep looking out at the heat waves.:rolleyes: Better wait a bit longer, besides it does not get dark till 9:00 or so.

Jeff

Just shot the 92.5 gr loads. At 300 they were .5 moa high and at 500 they were still 1/2 moa high. The migage is still killer but the wind has settled a bit. As you can see they are showing promise. I had one I pulled but the other 4 look good. The load is a bit hot for 5 degrees and sunny. I may back it off for the next group I think it would be happy at 91.5 gr. Then I need to play with seating depth. For the 500 yard group I simply left the velocity the same and plugged in the .891 bc. It called for 4.75 moa. If you take off the .5 moa it was high at 300 zero it would be pretty close at 500 using that BC.

More Later....

Jeff gun)gun)

DSC02313Small.jpg

Done for today. Backed the powder off to 91.5 gr and all was happy again. Waited for the mirage to die and checked zero at 300

DSC02320Small.jpg

Then shot at the 1000 yard target and it fell short by about 13" Adjusted up 1.5 moa and shot 3 using 3/4 left for spin drift. I went to look and decided to quit with this one for today. Rather be lucky that good!!:D

DSC02315Small.jpg

DSC02316Small.jpg

I feel there is still work on my load to do but for sure the accuracy of these bullets is there.

Jeff gun)gun)

Thanks, Broz. Great shooting. How much more precision could a guy ask for. You'll get the drops down, I'm sure, but in the meantime those groups look might good. And, with so many variables left to play with yet...

wow very nice, i think i would quit after that as well:D, thanks for posting and keep us updated, did you say what for gun you were shooting?

The rifle is a custom 338 Lapua that Joe Starnes built me a couple years ago. It is on a SS Mark V action with a 27 1/2" Lilja 10 twist #8 Contour. In a McMillan A-5. It has a Near base I fitted to 43 MOA and a 8~32x56 Nightforce.

Jeff

Thanks, Broz. Great shooting. How much more precision could a guy ask for. You'll get the drops down, I'm sure, but in the meantime those groups look might good. And, with so many variables left to play with yet...

Yep I need to work with this load a bit. One other shooter on a different forum says they like to be closer to the lands, like .010". I was plugging in the numbers last night and to make that come up work with .891 BC I had to drop the MV down to 2720. I don't think that is right. So I need to do some chrony testing too.

It will be interesting as more data comes in on thse bullets. I am anxious to see what others here think.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.