300 gn berger velocity

Herr110

Savage 110 fcp-k, 26" tube, lapua brass, CCI 250 primers, 87 gn H1000, 300 gn berger target vlds...
What kind of velocity should this be producing?

Thats what I was expecting, but the Berger site says 2629 with 85.2 gn h1000 from a 26" barrel.... what gives?

The rifle they used in testing may have been different in: twist rate, chamber dimensions, throat lead, lot of H1000, primer, brass manufacture, barrel steel, rifling (5R, 4 grove, 3 grove, etc).

I had the 110BA in 338 and was getting 2750 from 91gr of H1000, although with poor accuracy. I switched to RL-33 and gained accuracy and velocity. On the 3rd firing of Lapua brass the round would not extract no matter what I tried so I changed the barrel and used a PTG reamer. IMO, H1000 works in the 338 Lapua but is not ideal. Retumbo, or RL33 seem to match perfect. There are some reports of guys using H50BMG. I tried US869 and velocity went way up, near 3018FPS with a 300 gr hybrid but even a few degrees temp increase made velocity erratic.

Unfortunately, H1000 is all I have been able to come up with for the time being. Ill try some RL as soon as I can put my hands on some. What barrel did you go with? Did you keep the brake?

I went with a Pacnor at 32 inches. I kept the brake because it seemed to work very well. Last year was the last time I shot it because it got to be too much of a pain in the *** to set up targets so far away. That and the cost of shooting the **** thing.

I would have to look but I think the 300 SMK with RL-33 and VV N570 was around 2985. A lot of people say they get great accuracy with the Bergers and H1000, unfortunately that was not my case. And I forgot to mention, Berger was saying the 300 gr bullets may not work well in the 338 Lapua. They said it was something about nose slump due to acceleration. They may have fixed it by now but that was the case about 18 months ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.