Ruger model 77 300 wm and berger 210 gn

Lonetour

I'll be heading to Montana for an elk hunt this Nov. I've read so many post on the 210 gn Berger's I decided to give them a try. From what I've read everyone seats them as long as possible to start then tweaks their loads from there. I'm shooting a Ruger M77 300 WM with 24" barrel 1-10 twist. I've experimented with a dummy round to reach that sweet spot but it seems that to fill the magazine I'm right back to the SAAMI spec 3.34 . I haven't shot any of these yet so maybe that will be fine. Any input will be appreciated.
progress.gif

Maybe I should just stick to a Partition or Accubond? :rolleyes:

Have no experience with the 210's but with the 190's in a 06 I ended up at .070 off the lands with a OAL of 3.40 which work fine through the magazine even though the SAAMI spec is 3.34. It shoots pretty good. In the Reloading section of this forum right at the top there is a whole write up by Eric Stecker on how to make the VLD's work in your rifle....good read!

There are a couple fellas here that use the Bergers with the 300 WM and can give you some good pointers. I think the 210 would be a excellent bullet with the 300.

Thanks Jim! I read the article by Eric Stecker, that was the clincher for me after reading so many positive post about the Bergers to give them a try.
It seems like most people get the most out of these bullets by being as close to the lands as possible. So I guess my question is, if you can't seat them that close will it still be worth trying them? Guess I shouldn't have bought 200 of them before trying it...

Yes the 210 would be worth the effort to see if they will perform in your rifle. There are people here more qualified than me to explain how to find a load but here is what I do. I find where the lands are with whatever bullet I'm working with (just to know) then figure out the longest that will work in the magazine as all my rifles are for hunting and I have no interest in a single shot.

With that length I start with the book low and run up in half grain increments until I see pressure signs or reach the book high all the shots through a chronograph so I know exactly what's going on and make relevant decisions as to where to stop. In my opinion the book numbers are a guide and I will usually go beyond the book high carefully if the velocity is not what it should be and with no pressure signs. Use your own best judgment when book max is reached!!

Once I have a powder charge I will load 5 with that charge and shoot at 100 yards for a group. If not happy with the results will load 5 more with .2 grains less and repeat. When I find a group that I'm satisfied with and the velocity is workable I then switch to my 335 yard target to see what the load is doing out there and maybe fiddle with it a little if necessary. I'm fortunate enough to have a 100, 335, 450 and 800 yard target set up off the bench out my back door and a permanent chronograph set up.

Now that I'm happy with what I have I start to fool with the bullet depth setting it deeper .010 each time with 5 shots each change. All this done at the 335 target because that is where I want the performance. Once I am totally happy I then shoot at my 100 yard target making it zero. Then back to the 335 and 450 yard and 800 yard targets by dialing Exbals numbers and develop the drop chart by tweaking Exbal to make the real numbers and the generated numbers jive.

The Bergers have worked pretty good for me even with a lot of jump so take the time to find the best depth. I think the powder type and amount is more important than bullet seating depth but of course everything counts. Just my opinion.

Thanks again for the information Jim! I seated a round at 3.40 and it seemed to feed just fine so I'll start there. I'll be heading to my property in Wisconsin Thurs where I can practice out to 600 yards. Think I'll load up 50 rounds at various charges and see what works best. As for powder I thought I'ld use R-22 and IMR 4350. The load data says the R-22 has a mv of 2830 and IMR 4350 of 2794. Gotta start somewhere!

Lonetour,I have a M77 also and I shoot the 190's out of it. I seat the bullet so that it fits in the magazine as I too, have no interest in a single shot. I tried various powders and my rifle ended up liking IMR 4831 at 71.0 grains. Very accurate with this combo. I tried my best with hodgdon powders as I like their stability but I'll always go with accuracy.

Good luck and you'll have fun figuring out what shoots. Can't go wrong with either the 190 or 210's.

Randy

Well unfortunately I didn't get to shoot as much as I hoped last weekend as the work projects seemed to take waaaaay more time than anticipated.
I did get to play with 3 out of the 6 loads I brought up. I found my gun favored 70gn of R-22 seated at 3.35. At 100 yards all three holes were touching. Can't wait to try out the other loads now.

Randy have you done any modifications to your M77? I was wondering if I should free float the barrel but I concerned with making things worst after reading that it may make things worst. I'm definitley going to lighten the trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.