300 Black Out bullets

Waynzee

Hi fellas, anybody here use the Nosler 125 gr. accubond bullets in thier 300 Black Out. Might give them a try for deer and black bear.

I have used over 1000 noslers they work good. But then the Barnes were better.
Hen I found a better one the cutting edge raptor 100 gr. Things are awsome on every deer and pig I've shot and I'm well over 100.
That being said I have been working with Steve at hammer on an even better design. One that opens at a lower velocity. 101 gr. These will be the ticket. I plan on using them for black bear this fall as the bullets real penetrate much deeper than the nosler. Min speed on the nosler is 1800 fps the raptor is 1600fps and the new hammer is right now at 1400 which makes it function out to 300 yards. Hope this helps

That being said I have been working with Steve at hammer on an even better design. One that opens at a lower velocity. 101 gr. These will be the ticket......Min speed on the nosler is 1800 fps the raptor is 1600fps and the new hammer is right now at 1400 which makes it function out to 300 yards. Hope this helps

What kind of muzzle velocity are you hoping to achieve with the 101?

I'm hoping for around 2600. I'm getting 2550 with the raptors now. But that's as much as I can get in the case without compressing it. I hate doing that on ars. This hammer should have less bearing surface and because it's shorter so I should have more room for powder. Not sure if I'll get more or not.

I was able to get to 20gr lil gun without compresion that seemed to be the limit. I know it is common for some to compress loads in the blk but I don't feel comfortable. I'm using cut down pmc brass. I'm not sure if the extra capacity will bellator all cause my 6x45 shooting 95's is not to much over this. It is over that speed maybe the extra bore would help speed It up but who knows. I'm just starting to notice a slight flattening on my next ring so i went back down. I am so ready to try these hammers I took everything I wanted to tweak on the raptor and talked it over with Steve and I think it's gonna be really good.

My .300 BLK handloads that I'm testing are with Berger 168 VLD's and 210 VLD's.

Let us know how those work out they do seem to be soft but man that 210 doesn't leave much room for powder does it. I didn't think of going that route with Berger. I have tried lots of other heavies but I kept getting better results the lighter I went. Not so much with the 110 vmax but when going from nosler and Barnes down it got better more than likely because of the bullet. The 110 Barnes were not bad just didn't hang with the current runs on monos. I will be needing a heavy now hat we can hunt with suppressors here in mich.

.300 BLK w/ 210 VLD next to a 210 VLD

FBBE2C63-55B4-4DF5-B238-3CAE31B63111_zpsxrysgclx.jpg

5.56, 6.5 Grendel, .300 BLK

0C40E337-C54B-4505-A01C-58E4D57DB97B_zpsiqni1xiw.jpg

I've tested 110, 125, 130, 147, 150, 168, 175, 190, 208, 220, 245

Only bullets that would expand properly to my liking were bullets below 130 gr.
The others are great for plinking and tinkering with subs.
There is just not enough case capacity to push bullets to expandable speeds at 100 yards.
There are new companies like Leigh High Defense, Outlaw State Bullets, Raptor and others that have bullets that expand an lower FPS but there is a trade of downrange KE even though bullet may expand.

If I were hunting any N. American game animal at 0-100 yards and the .300 BLK is my caliber of choice I would stick to under 130gr bullets.

The new hammer 101 should open and have plenty of energy at 300 yards. That was what Steve was working on. As the raptors work great out that far but won't open properly. Thus making them not ideal. I don't by into the min amount of energy but I do let the min velocity dictate what my distance is. 1000 ftlbs is what most say but a .357 has less than that and tons of guys have killed pigs and deer with those. But the bullet opens because it was designed that way.

I think we are going to go tomorrow eve and get some actual testing with a 300 Blackout. We'll cross our fingers and see what this little guy will do.

Steve

Thank you, Zen Archery, that is what I posted orginally if anybody has tried the Nos. accubond "125 gr." bullet. So according to your post anything 130gr. and under is best for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.