300 Blackout Hammer

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
We are headed to the range today to test some bullets designed specifically for the 300 Blackout. We will be testing some light weight bullets designed for hunting hogs and deer out to about 200y.

I am very excited about these bullets. They should be lights out for the Blackout. I'll post some results when we get back from the range.

Steve

The 101g Hammer designed for the Blackout looks promising. We loaded it down in a 308 with trail boss and got good expansion down to 1500fps. Shot the reduced load at 100y and got a 3" group using the reduced load with a 200fps spread. All in all the bullet looks very promising.

Steve

Playing with data and learning as I go. Looks like the 101g Hammer could be pushed at around 2500fps from the AAC Blackout. Makes it a 300y hunting bullet. But more importantly a 250y point blank range bullet for pigs and deer.

The bullet is designed to seat at the neck shoulder junction so as not to take any powder capacity so that the blackout can be loaded to max performance.

We will get these in a blackout asap to see exactly what they can do.

Steve

There should be awsome little round. I've used every round you could think of and this should top them all. I think you will get much more speed than you think. As you saw from my load work I sent you I'm at 2550 with the raptors and I ran out of case. I won't compress loads in any ar as the bullet can get driven deeper by feeding.
I will tell everyone now that I have talked to Steve about these from the start and I believe he has bested the current list of bullets for the blackout.

I'm excited. Just started reloading and I have a custom AR in 300 blackout. My current setup has it as a 300 yard southeast hog killer. Looking forward to hearing more about this bullet.

Hey Steve, post up how it does if you do any load testing with H110 and/or Alliant 300-MP.

I also wonder if it's possible to make a specific 168gr bullet with a micro-boat tail that stops around the shoulder height specifically for the .300 BLK, but give it a hybrid or Secant type ogive with a deep hollow point, like a Berger from the ogive forward. I bet that would make the .300BLK into a great 300 yard deer round, especially if used in a bolt-action, like the Rem 700 SPS Tactical with the 1:7 twist 16.5" heavy barrel.

That would make a great conversion action for a bolt 6.5 Grendel build. No action mods necessary, just a barrel swap.

Yes it would. I actually bought it intending to do just that. I haven't reloaded (bought dies) as I hadn't planned on keeping it 7.62x39, a good bullet could change my thinking.

I'm looking at the MPI ultra light thumb hole to get the weight down a bit. Maybe suppress the 16" barrel. Either way kind of my idea of the ultimate kids "big game" starter.

More good bullets for the 120-130 grain 6.5 though. I haven't been completely happy with the penetration using the "light" .30 bullets. I bought the last of Cor-Bons discontinued 150 grain ammo. They list it at 2300 fps, and I'm hopeful that improves the terminal performance a bit.

The right mono-metal could be a game changer.

I had the same problem with light .30 till I switched to the raptors. They had been great but after Steve and I talked for over an hour and multiple messages we think this will be much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.