300/338 NMI Ideal Rifle Weight

Codys bare rifle I think is 2oz lighter,might be are scales.Thats what intersting,mines a ABS wrap his steel flute,Lonewolf was sold to Proof,and I guess you know this cuz your in the area and are very gun knowledgable.But its not bad I dont recall brake but its 3 port and cant recall if one on top.It was KK Jense smith. I think it probably like you 30nmi, can tell you like the speed from your builds

Codys bare rifle I think is 2oz lighter,might be are scales.Thats what intersting,mines a ABS wrap his steel flute,Lonewolf was sold to Proof,and I guess you know this cuz your in the area and are very gun knowledgable.But its not bad I dont recall brake but its 3 port and cant recall if one on top.It was KK Jense smith. I think it probably like you 30nmi, can tell you like the speed from your builds
I was aware that lone wolf was acquired by proof 4?years back? Something like that. However some their new factory rifles have stocks that look a LOT like ag composites. I do like speed, probably don't need it, but seems like all the premium high performance chambering offer the best brass. A good smith makes or breaks a build, I've found some good ones in the region, makes getting a rifle shooting well so much easier. I've been burned on a few subpar jobs from supposedly good builders, but I've learned that lesson.

I recommend 10lbs for the 300 NMI and 13+ for the 338 NMI. Yes you can go lighter and yes you can handle the recoil. Mass is consistency. Lighter rifles are harder to shoot accurately and the larger the recoil the more mass needed to tame them down. All the energy and ballistics in the world wont extend your range without accuracy. This is really how I recommend cartridge choice to guys. A 338 will out perform a 300 in every way in regards to cold bore hits. The larger 300 grain bullets are simply not effected by environmentals as much as the 215/230 .30 cals are. However the choice come down to rifle weight. If you want a 10lb rifle I would bet you will make better shots with the 300 in a 10lb rifle than you will a 338 in a 10lb rifle. Many of us have a truck gun and a pack gun. A heavy 338 for real long range cold bore consistency for short hikes and a lighter packing rifle if your hiking all day. Theres a very good reason you see that so often. You cant build a rifle to do both well

I recommend 10lbs for the 300 NMI and 13+ for the 338 NMI. Yes you can go lighter and yes you can handle the recoil. Mass is consistency. Lighter rifles are harder to shoot accurately and the larger the recoil the more mass needed to tame them down. All the energy and ballistics in the world wont extend your range without accuracy. This is really how I recommend cartridge choice to guys. A 338 will out perform a 300 in every way in regards to cold bore hits. The larger 300 grain bullets are simply not effected by environmentals as much as the 215/230 .30 cals are. However the choice come down to rifle weight. If you want a 10lb rifle I would bet you will make better shots with the 300 in a 10lb rifle than you will a 338 in a 10lb rifle. Many of us have a truck gun and a pack gun. A heavy 338 for real long range cold bore consistency for short hikes and a lighter packing rifle if your hiking all day. Theres a very good reason you see that so often. You cant build a rifle to do both well
Normally I would totally agree with you, however I just built a 7.4 lb (9.8 scoped) 338 Norma mag.
It literally recoils less with 265's than my 300 PRC that weighs 9.5 lbs shooting 215's, my wife shot it and it didn't even move.
I am completely blown away with the Terminator T3 brake, I've used a ton of brakes and nothing comes close for recoil reduction.

I have used the T3 on every 338 NMI I have built. I use the T4 on the Lapua imps. Its not just the user felt recoil Im talking about. The rifle is torquing/recoiling while the bullet is still in the barrel. That movement has an effect on accuracy. The only thing that reduces that movement is mass. The brake doesnt do anything until the bullet has already left the barrel.

Last edited:
I agree thats why lots of us do have two_Or on this site?? I would like even the next level some time LR rifle,as a rig gun.My packer was one of the first light 338NM on this site,Ive had it 10 years I think,now you see many more,they work for minute of elk. Theres a 338 AM for sale now on here,that slings those 300 grainers.

I agree thats why lots of us do have two_Or on this site?? I would like even the next level some time LR rifle,as a rig gun.My packer was one of the first light 338NM on this site,Ive had it 10 years I think,now you see many more,they work for minute of elk. Theres a 338 AM for sale now on here,that slings those 300 grainers.
I am seeing consistent half MOA groups from the bench with bipod/rear bag like I use hunting even in just initial max pressure work-ups with my 9 lb 3oz all up .338 nm, those groups will tighten up with actual load development, will be interesting to see how it reacts at extended ranges from prone field positions. That is where the rubber will meet the road.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts