300/338 NMI Ideal Rifle Weight

SealT5

Alright gents. I'm starting to really ponder building a Norma Improved rifle. I'm looking for opinions on the ideal weight of the rifle. For those of you with experience in this cartridge or similar please offer advice? I want the rifle to be light enough to carry yet heavy enough to shoot comfortably. I plan to use a BAT HR in a manners Eh1 or T stock and shoot with a brake. Scope will likely be a nightforce at 30oz. Thanks in advance.

Joe S.

First 338 NM I put together was 11.5 lbs scoped, with a Terminator T3 it is very comfortable to shoot sending 300 bergers at 2750 fps. Recoil is less than a 10 lb unbraked .308 I shoot, I can spot hits at 300 yards.

Recoil was so mild in fact, that it inspired me to build a 9 lb ready to hunt .338 Norma mag. This one has a slightly more effective MBM Beast 5 port TI brake on it. Haven't shot it yet, but once I do, I'll tell you how it is.

If you aren't too recoil shy, I wouldn't be afraid in a 300 NMI to go down to 8ish lbs, but wouldn't try to go below that. Also, your choice in muzzle brake will be a big factor. Put a radial brake on an 8 lb 300 NMI, it will probably hurt. Put a painkiller, terminator, beast, or one of ryan pierces brakes on, and it will likely be manageable.

@codyadams appreciate the reply. Please let me know how the 9lb rifle shoots.

I intend to run an Area419 sidewinder or a piercision. Already have the Area419 as it was a gift. I wouldnt say I'm recoil shy but I haven't shot anything extensively over 6.5x47L in 5 years. I did tale a 50cal knight muzzle loader shooting 200 grains of powder elk hunting. Fired over 150 bullets trying to find a decent load. I was not having a good time at all. But did not flinch haha

I just don't want something nobody wants to shoot. I shoot my hunting rifles just like my match rifle.

Joe S

Got about 120 rounds down my rifle now, ready to hunt it is 9 lb 3 oz.

I would say recoil is about like a 12 lb .308, very manageable. 300 yards or so I should be able to spot hits as well. Shoots good too!! There two groups are with 285 Hammer Hunters, 3 shot group, and 300 grain Bergers, 5 shot group, in that order.
20200210_183807.jpg
20200121_135542.jpg

My 300nmi has an eh1, kelbly atlas tac, proof 26" sendero and a Nightforce nx8. It's just under 10#. Wears a piercision 5 port brake. It kicks noticeably more punchy/jumpy than my 11# 338rum that's pushing 300s @ 2900 fps. This rifle has a 5 port mbm beast brake. Either get a beast or a terminator t3.

Stock fit and brake choice are critical in this type of rifle in my opinion. If the stock doesn't fit you correctly and you slap an ineffective brake on it you're going to be miserable.

I agree with both of these. The 5 port beast brake is not a big investment, they are under $100 and recoil will be significantly less than your area 419 brake.

In regards to stock fit coment above please elaborate on how to find proper fit for a hunting rifle. As such what stock recommendations would you all have for a light medium weight spot and stalk rifle.

As that is what I built my rifle for, I would choose the stock I went with, a Manners EH-1. My stock with standard LOP, two flushcups, 1 sling stud, pillars and full length devcon bedding is 34.5 oz. You can go lighter with a sporter style, but I feel the more sporter style stocks sacrifice a good cheek weld. My 52mm scope is as low as I could get it, as in the lense cover can't even slide on all the way, only about 3/4 on, and the EH-1 puts it perfect. With a sporter stock, unless I had a 40mm scope as low as possible, I would want a cheek rest, which would offset the weight saved going with a sporter stock, and not have as comfortable of a grip area for longer shots.

In regards to stock fit coment above please elaborate on how to find proper fit for a hunting rifle. As such what stock recommendations would you all have for a light medium weight spot and stalk rifle.
Check out the Mesa Altitude, I switched over from a manners EH1and personally like it a lot more.
I run a 56mm objective and the comb is plenty high.
It weighs 25 oz bedded

Check out the Mesa Altitude, I switched over from a manners EH1and personally like it a lot more.
I run a 56mm objective and the comb is plenty high.
It weighs 25 oz bedded
I have a couple of these on tikkas, they're good for seated or standing, but personally don't care for it prone due to the big heal drop in the rear. I just orderd an axial precision carbon hunter stock, has a negative comp, heel drop is nonexistent, very similar to the gunwerks comb, wish it was a little more vertical grip, but I think I'll like it. Weighs 24oz in lightest fill, I asked for 26oz with a lil more solid fill around the action area.

Attachments

• ap_lt_hunter_side.jpg
    ap_lt_hunter_side.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
My 2 338NM similar to above,one 8 3/4 w/march other 11 with mark 5.Lonewolf summit and Tac II.The heavier is nicer to shoot no doubt. I have shot the lighter 1'' @ 400 off my bipod,my best with it. I was pretty loose in the lighter one,and it kissed my brow very lite. Both 26'' braked. The tac II much more awkward in field,packing and swinging into position if a quick shot is needed.Dont do that much,but,it makes me a bit nervous in bear country,packed it 9 miles moose hunting one day,more of a rig gun. Highdrum you have some nice toys.

My 2 338NM similar to above,one 8 3/4 w/march other 11 with mark 5.Lonewolf summit and Tac II.The heavier is nicer to shoot no doubt. I have shot the lighter 1'' @ 400 off my bipod,my best with it. I was pretty loose in the lighter one,and it kissed my brow very lite. Both 26'' braked. The tac II much more awkward in field,packing and swinging into position if a quick shot is needed.Dont do that much,but,it makes me a bit nervous in bear country,packed it 9 miles moose hunting one day,more of a rig gun. Highdrum you have some nice toys.
That 8.75# 338nm sounds like a beast! Idk if I'd want one that light, you're a tougher man than I!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts