30 SM with the 245 EOL

jpndave

I have some doubts about the Atips, but we'll see?
They have a thicker jacket and hardened lead core, neither of which is conducive to long range expansion.
Yea, I'm sceptical. Oh well, there's always that 230 Berger or the 225 ELD-M. Thanks for the replies.

elkaholic

Official LRH Sponsor
Would a 24" barrel be too short to fully utilize this round?
I'll be running a suppressor and keep going back and forth on whether I should go with a 26" or 24" proof barrel..
My 28" is not that much faster than Rockwalls 26", but thats only one test?
My guess is it would loose 30'/inch from 26 to 24", but thats a guess?
I think you could still make 3000' with a 230 with the right powder

rockwallraider

LRH Team Member
What is the reasoning for the heavier barrel? Is it for recoil? I was thinking one step below the Bartlein 3b in a 26" 5R or the same from Rock Creek. Don't want the hunting rifle to become too heavy.

totally get that, about to build another 30 sm but make it lighter
I am actually waiting on a stock and am going to have a fuzion ti, ag composite visigoth, proof sendero 26 inch. with roughly a 20 oz scope

Velvet

Hi Rich, it will be possible to reach 3000ps + with ELDX of 220gn and the 30 Sherman magnum with a CF 26" 1: 9.4 twist Proof barrel ?, obviously without overpressure. Do I need a longer barrel?
I am very interested to know if this is possible to achieve with H1000 powder.
I opened a thread that discusses the different options of .30 cartridges available, to reach that mark, and appears 30 SM, 300 PRC, 30 Nosler, RUM, 300 Norma mag, etc.

elkaholic

Official LRH Sponsor
Hi Rich, it will be possible to reach 3000ps + with ELDX of 220gn and the 30 Sherman magnum with a CF 26" 1: 9.4 twist Proof barrel ?, obviously without overpressure. Do I need a longer barrel?
I am very interested to know if this is possible to achieve with H1000 powder.
I opened a thread that discusses the different options of .30 cartridges available, to reach that mark, and appears 30 SM, 300 PRC, 30 Nosler, RUM, 300 Norma mag, etc.
Yes, you should be able run the 220 easily over 3000' with a 26" barrel, even with H1000.

Velvet

Yes, you should be able run the 220 easily over 3000' with a 26" barrel, even with H1000.
Great!!, Can you estimate how much pressure you are working with?
The reamer that you sell, contemplates the use of the new bullets of 245, 250, etc ?, I mean to have long throats. What I obviously want to avoid is having to put the boat tails inside the powder column.

elkaholic

Official LRH Sponsor
Great!!, Can you estimate how much pressure you are working with?
The reamer that you sell, contemplates the use of the new bullets of 245, 250, etc ?, I mean to have long throats. What I obviously want to avoid is having to put the boat tails inside the powder column.
You should be able to run a 220 at 3000+ well within saami for a prc
TheFB was set up for a 230 Berger at about .040" up into the neck. It should run the heavier bullets just fine but you need 3.8 mag length for the 245 Berger, etc. 3.8"

codyadams

You should be able to run a 220 at 3000+ well within saami for a prc
TheFB was set up for a 230 Berger at about .040" up into the neck. It should run the heavier bullets just fine but you need 3.8 mag length for the 245 Berger, etc. 3.8"
On a side note, I did have good luck jumping the 156 in several guns, at .080 off it would fit in a standard rem mag box....obviously not optimum and limits capacity some as well as seating adjustment ability, but I was still able to achieve good accuracy from .005 off all the way out to .125" off in the different guns I tested them in. Not sure if this bullet would be the same, but I myself would still try ha ha

rockwallraider

LRH Team Member
Mine is jumped .10
not because I had to but that is where it shot the best with 245 in my gun

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce