30 SM with the 245 EOL

Anyone had problems with primer pockets on adg brass.. i lost 3 today while doing load workup for a 7/300 win improved eith adg brass

Kasey

Kasseyfied, go over to Long Range Only, there's a post about it. He had a +P throat which added a little velocity and yes, it was a 26" barrel.

Well thats different:) I believe you.. my bore ryder chambers always give me about 40-50fps more

Kaey

Any action that you could build a WM on would be fine.
With the 245's, you will need a minimum 3.8"
magazine. 3.9-4" " would be better.
Taper depends on what you're trying to accomplish but it sounds like you're looking for mostly long range target use? If thats the case, a Sendero contour would be minimum, and heavier, as much as you wanted.
If Its long range hunting, I would go minimum #5, or 3b in a Bartlein.
I like 4 groove Krieger barrels, 5r Bartlein, Brux, Rock Creek, etc. Lots of good barrel choices!
What is the reasoning for the heavier barrel? Is it for recoil? I was thinking one step below the Bartlein 3b in a 26" 5R or the same from Rock Creek. Don't want the hunting rifle to become too heavy.

What is the reasoning for the heavier barrel? Is it for recoil? I was thinking one step below the Bartlein 3b in a 26" 5R or the same from Rock Creek. Don't want the hunting rifle to become too heavy.
I guess I assumed it was not a pack rifle. Not sure why?
There's nothing wrong with running a lighter contour like a Bart 3 or Rock 4.

I have a Montana Rifle Co action (actually 3 of them one for myself and two for hunting buddies) we were planning on 7mm and have been hoping for a 7 PRC but have considered going 7LRM. The more I see this round I'm really considering just going with it and adding a brake.

So long range hunting rifles, for Elk, Moose, Stag, etc. We have lighter 6.5 Creedmoor and other rifles for smaller stuff. 26" 5R Rock Creek or Bartlein barrels. I'll extend the magazines as far as they'll go. Any issues with that plan?

Last edited:
I have a Montana Rifle Co action (actually 3 of them one for myself and two for hunting buddies) we were planning on 7mm and have been hoping for a 7 PRC but have considered going 7LRM. The more I see this round I'm really considering just going with it and adding a brake.

So long range hunting rifles, for Elk, Moose, Stag, etc. We have lighter 6.5 Creedmoor for smaller stuff. 26" 5R Rock Creek or Bartlein barrels. I'll extend the magazines as far as they'll go. Any issues with that plan?
No. 3.750 mag length will run most bullets you would hunt with. I run the 230 Bergers in mine at 3.707"
I also have the 28 SM version now as well FYI.

Any results with the 230gr A-Tip on game? I'd love to run that bullet. What I have seen so far is jury is still out so to speak.

Seems like you can comfortably get 3000fps with a 225-230. The 245 are cooking over 3000 but should comfortably go 2900? 26" barrel BTW.

I have some doubts about the Atips, but we'll see?
They have a thicker jacket and hardened lead core, neither of which is conducive to long range expansion.

Would a 24" barrel be too short to fully utilize this round?
I'll be running a suppressor and keep going back and forth on whether I should go with a 26" or 24" proof barrel..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.