30 sherman magnum

Someone asked quite a while back to run some H1000 data and I forgot to post it but found the notes. I ran the 215 up to 3130' and had good accuracy around 3100' but never really messed with it too much because I love my N570 load with the 230.

The 30 Sherman Mag dies showed up today, so I took a second to form a couple pieces of brass and get some capacities. These are usable case capacities in grains of water with a 212 ELDx seated to 3.690" in 300 Win Mag, die formed (not fireformed) 30 SM and 300 RUM cases. I chose that OAL because that's what will reliably feed from my AICS mags.
AoPK7ZG.jpg

The 300 Win Mag and 300 RUM cases are once fired. I'm not sure what the capacity difference will be between a die formed 30 SM and a fireformed case, but I imagine it's within 2 grains.

The 30 Sherman Mag dies showed up today, so I took a second to form a couple pieces of brass and get some capacities. These are usable case capacities in grains of water with a 212 ELDx seated to 3.690" in 300 Win Mag, die formed (not fireformed) 30 SM and 300 RUM cases. I chose that OAL because that's what will reliably feed from my AICS mags.
AoPK7ZG.jpg

The 300 Win Mag and 300 RUM cases are once fired. I'm not sure what the capacity difference will be between a die formed 30 SM and a fireformed case, but I imagine it's within 2 grains.
Did you push the shoulder back on the SM,
or was it hydro formed. it looks 40 degree

Yes. I actually took a few of the 270/375 Ruger cases that I had formed from 375 Ruger basic brass and ran those into the 30 SM die.
aaaah gotcha! wondered how you worked that majic. I found the new prc brass has more capacity than my old Ruger cases, and they're tougher!

aaaah gotcha! wondered how you worked that majic. I found the new prc brass has more capacity than my old Ruger cases, and they're tougher!

My 270 project was a spectacular failure so this is a good way to use all the brass I had formed. LOL An interesting side note though, based on the 86gr or usable case capacity I think that the 300 Blaser Mag is a nearly identical match for anyone who want's to run numbers through Quickload. I ran the numbers from some of your loads you've posted and they match up really well when using a similar OAL.

i still haven't decided what I'm going to build yet. I'll probably just have another barrel cut for the ARC Nucleus action that's recently become the "test mule" for all my .532 case head projects. I like the idea of a 19" specialty pistol but I think the performance will come just a bit short of what I'm looking for. The goal in a pistol would be to match 300 WSM rifle ballistics from a 19" barrel which would be a 215gr bullet at 2850 fps. It should be pretty close with a couple powders but I'd have to run full throttle to get there.

My 270 project was a spectacular failure so this is a good way to use all the brass I had formed. LOL An interesting side note though, based on the 86gr or usable case capacity I think that the 300 Blaser Mag is a nearly identical match for anyone who want's to run numbers through Quickload. I ran the numbers from some of your loads you've posted and they match up really well when using a similar OAL.

i still haven't decided what I'm going to build yet. I'll probably just have another barrel cut for the ARC Nucleus action that's recently become the "test mule" for all my .532 case head projects. I like the idea of a 19" specialty pistol but I think the performance will come just a bit short of what I'm looking for. The goal in a pistol would be to match 300 WSM rifle ballistics from a 19" barrel which would be a 215gr bullet at 2850 fps. It should be pretty close with a couple powders but I'd have to run full throttle to get there.
I think your useable capacity is likely to increase with fire formed PRC brass.
My old S.I. with Ruger brass was nearly 2 grains less than the new design.
I can stuff 91 grains of N570 behind a 230 Hybrid at 3.707" coal
I cant see the Blaser keeping up with the 30 SM, 30 Nosler, etc?

Last edited:
I think your useable capacity is likely to increase with fire formed PRC brass.
My old S.I. with Ruger brass was nearly 2 grains less than the new design.
I can stuff 91 grains of N570 behind a 230 Hybrid at 3.707" coal
I cant see the Blaser keeping up with the 30 SM, 30 Nosler, etc?

I expected to gain about 2gr capacity with a fireformed case compared to the die formed case I have.

I was a little surprised by the Blaser case too. I originally thought that the Booboo would be a bit closer but the longer/skinny 8x68s case falls behind in case capacity. I had a friend measure the total internal water capacity and he came up with an average of 91.4gr for his fired Booboo cases which matches up pretty close with Quickload's 91.0gr capacity. I had somebody else send me numbers on a fired 300 Blaser case and he came up with 91.8gr, very close to QL's 92.4. I adjusted the internal case volumes for each case in QL as well as adjusting the 300 Win Mag and 300 RUM volumes to match my measured case volumes. After making all those changes the predicted usable case capacity with a 212 ELDx (1.595" long) seated to 3.690" in each case was within 2% of my actual measured volumes. I'll have to track down a 30 Nosler case to get some numbers on to compare as well.

I'll have to see if I can get a 300 Blaser case in my hands to compare once I finally have a formed 30 SM case.

I expected to gain about 2gr capacity with a fireformed case compared to the die formed case I have.

I was a little surprised by the Blaser case too. I originally thought that the Booboo would be a bit closer but the longer/skinny 8x68s case falls behind in case capacity. I had a friend measure the total internal water capacity and he came up with an average of 91.4gr for his fired Booboo cases which matches up pretty close with Quickload's 91.0gr capacity. I had somebody else send me numbers on a fired 300 Blaser case and he came up with 91.8gr, very close to QL's 92.4. I adjusted the internal case volumes for each case in QL as well as adjusting the 300 Win Mag and 300 RUM volumes to match my measured case volumes. After making all those changes the predicted usable case capacity with a 212 ELDx (1.595" long) seated to 3.690" in each case was within 2% of my actual measured volumes. I'll have to track down a 30 Nosler case to get some numbers on to compare as well.

I'll have to see if I can get a 300 Blaser case in my hands to compare once I finally have a formed 30 SM case.
Ill be very interested in your findings. youve done a good job in the past. The total capacity h20 in the couple formed cases I measured was 98.4