30 Sherman Magnum 20” Build

Also realized I haven't added my 245gr berger data here yet.

30 SM
20" Proof CF Sendero 1&8" Suppressed(ultra 5)
COAL 3.830"
N570
245 EOL
Fed 215M
ADG 2X
.001" NT
80*
Magneto Speed

80 2708
81 2729
82 2757
83 2788
84 2830 ej mark

Been running with the TB ultra 5 lately but recently bought a SRS Ti Pro 3 ST when they were on sale. Really liking it so far, I've shot about 50 rounds with it on. Just as good of recoil reduction as my Terminator T3 but less blast on the shooter. Shot 30 rounds through it one afternoon and no issues. After about 10 rounds with the terminator and it was giving me a headache. The terminator is still a great brake Il just use it on longer barreled rigs. And when my 338 ultra comes in I'm thinking that will be all I run on the rifle. Cant remember his name, but the guy from SRS was good to deal with to. He called me to make sure color and everything was right, got it coated and shipped fast.

Ti Pro 3 ST 2.4oz
6C8EE4E1-AA17-4C84-ACDD-9864643D9FAD.jpeg

Just got my 20" 30 nosler with a Bartlien carbon done, should be pretty similar. Way excited to get loading for it, I love these short barreled magnums!
I've been pretty excited watching the progress of your build as well. I had a hard time choosing between the SM & Nosler. When the bartlien carbons first came out and I was looking at the colors I didn't think much about it at the time. But after you polished your green CF barrel and took photos in the sun it looks amazing! It completely changed my mind on wanting one. I agree, short barreled hunting rigs from now on! WTO is not to far from me so already contemplating a WTO switch lug set up after this Bbl is shot out. Thinking a 22" 300 Rum with a green CF Bbl would be a nice addition. I've had rum dies and Adg brass just sitting here for a few years now and don't even own a 300 Rum yet.

Also realized I haven't added my 245gr berger data here yet.

30 SM
20" Proof CF Sendero 1&8" Suppressed(ultra 5)
COAL 3.830"
N570
245 EOL
Fed 215M
ADG 2X
.001" NT
80*
Magneto Speed

80 2708
81 2729
82 2757
83 2788
84 2830 ej mark

Been running with the TB ultra 5 lately but recently bought a SRS Ti Pro 3 ST when they were on sale. Really liking it so far, I've shot about 50 rounds with it on. Just as good of recoil reduction as my Terminator T3 but less blast on the shooter. Shot 30 rounds through it one afternoon and no issues. After about 10 rounds with the terminator and it was giving me a headache. The terminator is still a great brake Il just use it on longer barreled rigs. And when my 338 ultra comes in I'm thinking that will be all I run on the rifle. Cant remember his name, but the guy from SRS was good to deal with to. He called me to make sure color and everything was right, got it coated and shipped fast.

Ti Pro 3 ST 2.4oz
View attachment 380461
Are you single feeding the 245's? I have CIP mags and I want to say my COAL is ~3.75". I was pressuring out around 82 gr, and I think it has to do with my COAL.

Last edited:
Yes, those were single feed. I'm running CIP mags as well. 84gr was were I saw a visible clear ej mark. There was a very faint ej mark at 83gr but you had to hold it in the sun and look hard to see it.

I've seen some drastic changes in where a load will pressure out just by changing bullet lots, due to the new lot having a longer bearing surface measurement. What is the lot # on the 245s your using?

It's possible the shorter COAL could be the reason. I see that with 81gr your at 2743fps and at 81gr I'm at 2729fps. In the grand scheme of things we are running pretty close. It seems your pressuring out 2-3 gr earlier. Still close seeing as we are probably running different lots of powder, primers, and bullets, along with different barrel manufactures. Also I've tested my magneto speed against 2 different lab radar's and both the Lab radars ran about 15fps faster than my 1st gen MS.

Yes, those were single feed. I'm running CIP mags as well. 84gr was were I saw a visible clear ej mark. There was a very faint ej mark at 83gr but you had to hold it in the sun and look hard to see it.

I've seen some drastic changes in where a load will pressure out just by changing bullet lots, due to the new lot having a longer bearing surface measurement. What is the lot # on the 245s your using?

It's possible the shorter COAL could be the reason. I see that with 81gr your at 2743fps and at 81gr I'm at 2729fps. In the grand scheme of things we are running pretty close. It seems your pressuring out 2-3 gr earlier. Still close seeing as we are probably running different lots of powder, primers, and bullets, along with different barrel manufactures. Also I've tested my magneto speed against 2 different lab radar's and both the Lab radars ran about 15fps faster than my 1st gen MS.
Its a delayed response, but I finally got around to checking the lot number on the 245's that I'm using: PR0331.
Very valid points with the differences in lots of components, barrel manufacturer, and chronos. All in all, we are very close.
I finally found a repeatable accuracy node with the 245s at 80.4 gr n570 and velocity at 2724 fps over the past few outings. I'm looking forward to trying them out this hunting season.

All good, I was just curious. Looks like your 245s are from a older lot than I have. 2724 with the 245s will hammer what ever you shoot with them and be easy on brass.

I have the 215 hybrids shooting good so Il probably stick with them for hunting season. Although I would still like to try a few other bullets when I can. Planning on a Mule deer hunt in North Texas later this year.

Good luck on your muley hunt! I took my first one this past season. I'm hooked to say the least.

Have you used the 245's on game? If so, how did they perform? I've used 225 eldms on my muley and a handful of whitetails. Massive wound cavities and no tracking involved.

Thank you I'm looking forward to it.

I have not, most of my .30 cal harvest have been with 175 SMK's or 150 core lokts. Been using 6.5s and 25cals mostly the last few years on deer and hogs. Really looking forward to the extra horse power of a big 30. this year. I'm sure the 225 eld-m puts a wallop on whitetails & Muleys. I'm a fan of not having to track, did more than I wanted of that as a guide in the past.

Getting things tuned up for white tail season. Decided to drop my load down from 84.9gr of N570. While it did fine even during the 105* summer temps its obvious it was a pretty warm load when you have to trim brass ever 4 firings on low taper 40* cartridge along with checking the base measurements on brass.

I tried 84gr and it shot well but was not consistent. Then tried 83.7 and it is shooting well so far after trying out 3 3shot groups at 755 yards. Still going to shoot it a bit more though.

Velocity now is averaging 2905fps with the 215gr berger. This load is much easier on brass and I only lost 45fps.

Elk Hunter 338 called it back in post #34 of this thread.

Here is the pic of the first group with 83.7 at 755 yards from this morning before the wind picked up, the vertical is 1.7". After the first group the sun started rising right in my eyes and the wind picked up but the next 2 groups still held a vertical under 3" but we're about 4-5" wide due to the wind picking up. Want to shoot it a few more times in good conditions to confirm everything but it's looking good so far.

6026A0A6-6053-4609-9DB1-533FB06A6409.jpeg

3C964678-6F56-42FF-BC57-EAAE0EE6C99E.jpeg

Getting things tuned up for white tail season. Decided to drop my load down from 84.9gr of N570. While it did fine even during the 105* summer temps its obvious it was a pretty warm load when you have to trim brass ever 4 firings on low taper 40* cartridge along with checking the base measurements on brass.

I tried 84gr and it shot well but was not consistent. Then tried 83.7 and it is shooting well so far after trying out 3 3shot groups at 755 yards. Still going to shoot it a bit more though.

Velocity now is averaging 2905fps with the 215gr berger. This load is much easier on brass and I only lost 45fps.

Elk Hunter 338 called it back in post #34 of this thread.

Here is the pic of the first group with 83.7 at 755 yards from this morning before the wind picked up, the vertical is 1.7". After the first group the sun started rising right in my eyes and the wind picked up but the next 2 groups still held a vertical under 3" but we're about 4-5" wide due to the wind picking up. Want to shoot it a few more times in good conditions to confirm everything but it's looking good so far.

View attachment 401654
View attachment 401655
Im glad you are doing this very thorough testing Chase! You've come up with some very useful data.
I find it interesting that your 83 grain load of N570 at 2800 was accepted very well and the same load in my 28" barrel at 3000' was criticized by some of the same people who like your results. Keep up the good work. Thats why Im letting others post most of the time on LRH now:)
I have a bunch of firings on my brass now and still going strong!

Thanks Rich, I enjoy the testing and I'm liking the cartridge. Been itching to put one of these bergers in a deer or hog soon.

Another benifit of dropping down to 83.7gr is I no longer have to use a drop tube. Still just slightly compressed but once it settles you can shake the case and get a kernel or 2 to slightly rattle.

I really like the SRS brake but it didn't take me long to switch back to the suppressor.

Thanks Rich, I enjoy the testing and I'm liking the cartridge. Been itching to put one of these bergers in a deer or hog soon.

Another benifit of dropping down to 83.7gr is I no longer have to use a drop tube. Still just slightly compressed but once it settles you can shake the case and get a kernel or 2 to slightly rattle.

I really like the SRS brake but it didn't take me long to switch back to the suppressor.
Once you go short barrel suppressed for hunting it's very hard to go without a can or pack around a long barrel. Those 18-22" barrels are just so handy. With 30-338 cal Noslers and under you loose very little in practical terms. Seems that 80-100gr cases hit a sweet spot.

I have a 338 Mega 21.5". My 338 can is in jail. Was planning on a 20" 375 mega brush hog/bear gun first, but could not pass this up as Idaho Trecker had it built almost exactly what I had planned .

Hopefully you will blood that rifle this season. Those 215s should drop them dead.