30 sherman magnum

I moved to Idaho Falls now. But I hunt in Copper Basin often. Usually 7300 ft and above. Just like Stanley. I would be happy to meet you sometime and setup the chrono(labradar) and let you shoot the 28sm. Not sure what part of Idaho you are in
sw idaho here. Love to meet up and see it in action. If the 28sm is that much better, I better build one :)

What velocities are people getting with the 195 or 180g Bullets with h 1000 I plan on using this powder
Why would you shoot bullets that light in a big 30 magnum? Perhaps you're asking about a 28 Sherman but that's a different thread. I'd say you can reach same speeds as a long throated 28 nosler. But it will NOT be faster at the same case pressure. I understand case geometry will give a lil help, but it's not going to make up for 6% case capacity handicap. This is all comparing equal pressure and same barrel. If you want to run a 28N at saami 65k psi and a 28SM at 80k psi, yeah it'll outperform. But that's not an equal comparison whatsoever.

Why would you shoot bullets that light in a big 30 magnum?
Unless he is talking about monos? Also some people just want a 500 yard or less hammer too, a 30 cal.180 at ?3300? I don't even know! Would certainly schwack nicely! And not have much drop with a 300 or so yard zero.

But your likely right, he is probably referencing the 28.

Unless he is talking about monos? Also some people just want a 500 yard or less hammer too, a 30 cal.180 at ?3300? I don't even know! Would certainly schwack nicely! And not have much drop with a 300 or so yard zero.

But your likely right, he is probably referencing the 28.
This is true. I believe the 30sm has around 240k freebore, may or may not be a challenge for 180-190 class bullets. It would definitely have a very good mpbr rating.

What would we be looking at velocity wise for a 30 Sherman pushing the 245 EOL from a 24" barrel?
I am getting 2970 from a 26" tube. I am running N570. I think 2900- 2920 might be a reasonable speed. Rich runs a longer tube than mine. I have done this in 2 builds. One was a benchmark barrel and the other was a wilson. They were with 10 fps of each other. Benchmark was slightly faster.

I am getting 2970 from a 26" tube. I am running N570. I think 2900- 2920 might be a reasonable speed. Rich runs a longer tube than mine. I have done this in 2 builds. One was a benchmark barrel and the other was a wilson. They were with 10 fps of each other. Benchmark was slightly faster.

Very nice that almost sounds too good to be true. I'm gonna run with it though if i can source this build in the next year. Don't want to go below 24"

There is a guy over on long range only running a 300prc ridgeline that he sent to Defensive Edge, had the +P throating applied. He's running almost 3000fps w/ N570 from a 26" Christensen 8tw barrel. He pressured out at 84.5gr 3050fps. So maybe +p a 30 Sherman?

There is a guy over on long range only running a 300prc ridgeline that he sent to Defensive Edge, had the +P throating applied. He's running almost 3000fps w/ N570 from a 26" Christensen 8tw barrel. He pressured out at 84.5gr 3050fps. So maybe +p a 30 Sherman?
I saw that thread. Very interesting. My twists are 1:9 which is what the 245 EOL calls for. My max COAL for Rich's reamer with the 245 is 3.891 but my Wyatt box in limited to 3.700. I should have went with Wyatt's 338 lapua mag in stead. Or maybe just run the accurate mag M5DBM at 3.850. My 30's have been very accurate though at just under 3.700 coal. Mr. Carlock also has another chamber running the 245's at 3200 I believe. Broz has one.

I saw that thread. Very interesting. My twists are 1:9 which is what the 245 EOL calls for. My max COAL for Rich's reamer with the 245 is 3.891 but my Wyatt box in limited to 3.700. I should have went with Wyatt's 338 lapua mag in stead. Or maybe just run the accurate mag M5DBM at 3.850. My 30's have been very accurate though at just under 3.700 coal. Mr. Carlock also has another chamber running the 245's at 3200 I believe. Broz has one.
Thats the 300 terminator, which is a lapua improved with a +p throat. That's a beast of a cartridge. Barrel won't last long! You're best bet is to have your action opened up for a wyatt's cfe9 4" mag box, and bolt stop modified to let the bolt come back further to pick up the case. Not all actions are capable of this, so check into that before going down that road. Even 338 cip length 3.85 aics mags only hold cartridges of 3.75" long, so going to an M5 bottom metal doesn't get you much over your current setup.

Thats the 300 terminator, which is a lapua improved with a +p throat. That's a beast of a cartridge. Barrel won't last long! You're best bet is to have your action opened up for a wyatt's cfe9 4" mag box, and bolt stop modified to let the bolt come back further to pick up the case. Not all actions are capable of this, so check into that before going down that road. Even 338 cip length 3.85 aics mags only hold cartridges of 3.75" long, so going to an M5 bottom metal doesn't get you much over your current setup.
I open up the mag well and mod the bolt stops on all the builds per Kevin's specs. I am happy with the performance I am getting right now. I am building 2 more 30 SM's right now that will have the XLR chassis system which accepts the cip length AM mag. They are looking good so far. Should be breaking them in in a week.