30 mm Burris Tactical Rings?

joseph

Does anyone use them? What are the pros + cons? I am getting a Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST scope and wondering if I will need to lap the rings? What do ya'll think?

joseph

i use these on my normal hunting rifle and they arew freakin rock solid! 4 plane rides two in a completely useless walmart case and still perfectly zeroed.

I love em, as solid as you can get and not expensive, I always lap them, top and bottom. Some people just lap the bottom. They hold the Night Forces on my 50bmg and .308 and everything else in 1". They do not make a 35mm set so I had to buy Valadia or V-Tac for the 338 RUM. They are steel and nice rings ,but only 4-ring screws and not nearly as wide. I like the wider profile, even though I lap and Rosin the rings, it only makes since the a wider bearing surface would hold it better.

Oh, I didn't tell you that you can buy 4-sets of Burris for what 1-set of the V-Tac cost.

I just got the Burris rings. Nice sturdy feelings rings. They look huge, but are actually really light since they are made out of aluminum.

I would definately recommend them.

Everybody has them but they were on sale at Midwayusa.com huge scope bearing / holding surface and lighter than the skinny steel high dollar rings. No names mentioned. If they were made in 35mm I would have bought them instead of the V-Tac. That is what I use to mount everything, I don't know how many sets I have and don't want to unload 3- gunsafes to count. You'll like em.

I just started using them a while back and now spec them for everything. They do not need lapped if installed correctly. No marks on any scope tubes and the power rings spin freely. Tells me they are pretty straight as is. Just don't get carried away with tightening the caps. With 6 cap screws they get a heck of a hold on your scope. I only torque the caps to 10 inch pounds and they hold fine on an unbraked 7 1/2 pound 300RUM. They are going on my 338 Lapua next.

img1734l.jpg

If you lap a set you'll see how imperfect they are, lap them and they are as good as you can buy. The aluminum rings don't take that long to lap and then they're perfect, and you can move scopes around if you need to and not leave a mark on the tube.

Even though it seems they're receiving good reviews I have to post a quote from my poor dead uncle who gave me this opinion of the Burris XTR 30mm rings,

"You'll enjoy considerable scope failure before those rings give-way on you!"

I miss my old shooting buddy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.