30 cal Amax on 30-30

HunterGreen

Well the pond is dry and so reloading supply store. I have a bunch of 30cal 168gr amax , was thinking of using them on my 30-30. This marlin I use alot. There is no round nose 30-30 anywhere..

What you guys think ??

I don't have a .30-30, but last summer my cousin brought his over(Winchester 94) and we shot it at 1000 yards with factory Hornady Leverevolution ammo. We hit the 6'X6' target with the first two shots! 2.5 second flight time and 54 feet of drop LOL

It's not a good idea to have a pointed bullet in a tube mag. The recoil from firing a chambered round could jar the pointy nose of the right cartridge into the primer of the left cartridge shown here, creating a catastrophic chain detonation in the magazine. Don't use this type of ammo in that type of magazine.

It's not a good idea to have a pointed bullet in a tube mag. The recoil from firing a chambered round could jar the pointy nose of the right cartridge into the primer of the left cartridge shown here, creating a catastrophic chain detonation in the magazine. Don't use this type of ammo in that type of magazine.

+1!

I would use load data for the 170 gr bullets. WW748, H335, AA2520, TAC should get you 2100 fps or so. I have used pointed bullets in tube guns. I just load one in the chamber and one in the magazine. Making a two shot.

Yeah, thinking if I tube feed it I would have to crimp neck, someting I dislike doing..

Have you tried these bullets on 30 30 ??

Crimping the neck has nothing really to do with why to not load them into the magazine. The main reason is because the pointy bullets line up in the mag, and when jarred around can punch the primer of the round in front of it. Which can cause an AD (Accidental Discharge), and blow the gun up.

Edit: I just read back and saw Parker covered this before I did.

I will be using 30 30 as a two or single shot... I ask my huntin buddy been loading relovolution ammo in tube since they came out.. he states today primers or very hard and plastic tip is very soft.. thats him thou not me

I will be using 30 30 as a two or single shot... I ask my huntin buddy been loading relovolution ammo in tube since they came out.. he states today primers or very hard and plastic tip is very soft.. thats him thou not me

THe leverevolution tip is way different than the Amax tip. The leverevolution is more like rubber and the Amax is a much harder plastic.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.