30 cal. 178 gr. AMAX?

Watched a buddy shoot a deer with this bullet this last fall at 450 yards. Caliber was 300 ultra, velocity at the muzzle about 3350. Neck shot and about a 3 inch exit. Broke the neck, but was not dead center in bone. It was quite spectacular though. They were very consistant from 100 out to 1300 yards. I was impressed. I would say they acted a lot like a ballistic tip in the terminal performance area. Havent been able to get the 208's to shoot in this gun yet.

a few years back shot a 200 lb buck broadside 25 yds.
300 win mag about 3000 fps pass thru i kinda expected it to
blow up but it didn't. called hornady and the rep said they have a heavier
jacket on the 178's.

I shot a whitetail doe with one at 300 yards with my 300 RSAUM. It was devastating to say the least. The bullet took out eveything from the front of the lungs to the liver and front part of the stomach. It made quite a mess! I'm not sure I would want to try one on an elk rib bone. I think the SMK would be better IMHO. The AMAX did not exit where the SMK left a 4"x3" exit wound. I would rate the AMAX on the explosive side with the SMK being more of a controlled explosion. For that reason, I am dying to try out the Berger VLDs.

I used them in a 300 WM at a reduced MV of 2900. Found that on shoulder shot blesbuck (150-180lbs on the hoof) I was getting devestating performance but not much penetration and no exits.

I would not use the 178gr A-Max on bigger game - say larger than deer.

I use the 210gr VLD at around 2750-2800 with great results on large African antelope out the range you mention.

I've seen exits on many shoulder shots on larger antelope with SMK's.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.