30 cal (.308)140 gr HPBT got in a trade

DRSmith

I ended up with some 140gr hpbt in a trade I don't know who made them. they look like the where pulled. I'm having a heck of a time finding a recipe to load them. The only 30 cal I own is a 300 win mag and 30-06.
Has anyone tried 140s in an 30-06? what would be a good powder and starting load ?
I'm just looking to practice with them or if I give my 220 and 22-250 a break hunt dogs with them. any help. Thanks

Post up a pic of the bullets and we might be able to tell you a bit more about them.

Also, I can try to look up some info for you tonight in my Nosler manual, if you'd like?

I have Noslers #7 and Hornadys newest books but both of them are not listing 140 that I could find. I put a pick on as soon I can. I don't think they are Barnes. 2013-03-19 16.08.17.jpg

2013-03-19 16.08.29.jpg

2013-03-19 16.09.12.jpg
Thanks

Could be Swift, Speer, Sierra, there's no telling on my end.....Sorry, I gave it a shot, but I have no clue.

Maybe Kirby can help, he's a bullet guru.

I was gonna check the Nosler 7 manual, but if it doesn't have anything in the 140gr, I guess that's not gonna help you.

They may be X bullets but they didn't look like it to me.
They look like they were pulled they might be military. I think I'll have to sacrifice one and cut it in half to see of it has a lead core..thanks for the help
any starting loads for the Barnes?

The books I have show nothing for those powders. Do you have any of the standard powders? 3031, 4064, 4895, varget ? Maybe someone else may have a load using what you listed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.