Sierra 6.5 (264 140 gr HPBT Matchking

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Guest, May 20, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Anyone ever use these? Any big difference between them and the 142 gr models. Local place has some and I need bullets!!! I could order the 142's but want to get some loads together for the weekend.

Joe

2. Dave in Idaho

Dave in Idaho Well-Known Member

I have used the 140gr Sierra BTHP Match bullets for years and they are an excellent bullet. You may find the 142gr's to have a better BC, but for general shooting the 140gr's are great. If a box of each were sitting side by side I would not feel bad about either choice.
    Dave

3. Guest

Guest Guest

thanks a million Dave. Ill give them a try

4. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

My 6.5x284 shoots the 142gr SMK better than the 140gr bullets. They do have a different ogive design.

5. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

the 140 is about a 10ogive where the 142 is probably about 15

this means??

the 142 is MUCH sleaker = better BC -- I will have a fairly inclusive bullet line up pic of a LOT of 6.5 bullets for comparison soon -- keep checking the link in my sig line for a 6.5 page /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

still a couple weeks out, but the pic should help your bullet decisions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds Great JB

I'll keep my eye open. The reason for the 140's is for just paper punching at shorter ranges. I guess I should just get off my butt and order some 142. Then again, those Bergers from goodgrouper looks promising.

Joe

7. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

brunos and midway have good prices on the 142's

Brunos is usually lowest on everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

www.brunoshooters.com

JB

8. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

The Berger 140's have the highest bc, and I have found them to match the ballistic charts the closest. They also have a J4 jacket which blows up vermin much better at ranges past 1000 yards.

However, according to Glen Zeddicker, as the throat starts to become rough, a gun that started out liking the aggressive shape of the Bergers might become more forgiving of the Sierra design shape. I haven't had that happen yet, but if it does happen, the 142 MK will get bought.

9. 308sako

308sako Well-Known Member

To me the 140's look like round nose "old style" as opposed to VLD styling... But Both do shoot great! God bless Sierra.

10. Timbow

Timbow New Member

You probably already found out their is quite a bit of difference in the bullets by now. Mainly teir down range characteristics. Im my 6.5 Gibbs they shoot almost identical until we are out past 250yds. They load the same(aprox.)but the 142 LD's are much flatter the further we go past 400yd. Especially. I hope that might help.

11. Timbow

Timbow New Member

Yeah there is a Pro Hunter 140 then their is the Game King I use for Closer Whitetails because of expansion. The Pro Hunters(more Rounded then the Game Kings) are real thumpers out to the 350-450 range I'll bet. Thank you, T