30 Cal 240 SMK and 1:10 Twist

Speedbump, how are you doing? Glad you are about to nail down a load with the RUM. I told Steve you said hi, and Saint Rita...Yeah she is a saint to put up with us isn't she? What bullet are you shooting anyway? My 308 is done and I am going to start playing with Lapua 155 with a B.C. of .508 I have to try. That bullet looks like a missle. Buddy, when the crops are out come and play with us. I am a grandpa now did you know that? A grandson named Dalton Lee Veit. Already planning his first rifle. I am thinking a 250 A.I. on a Model 70 action . What do think? I know it is a long time but as always the crops will get out of the field.

Squatch...Steve's 300 RUM A.I. is a screamer. He tried 20mm cannon powder but the barrel at 28" is not long enough to get good spreads. Accuracy was there but the spreads were too wide. You just need a longer barrel to make use of the powder.

Celt, you got my e-mail, come and play with us come fall or early winter.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight....Gary

Gary,

Congrats on Dalton Lee V.!!!! That's EXACTLY what you need to keep you honest! Can you say, brass finder???

I hope Steve gets things back on track for his boomer. Maybe he can have an 'inventory reduction sale' & get lined out. That's tough after that long a wait.... The crops went in so late over here from the wet Spring, that coyotes are still in danger
wink.gif

I went up to Mt. Carmel tonight & loaded up some 7mmRUM rounds for a Sunday PM test at 500 yards. HOPEFULLY, one of our chronos will cooperate, & I'll finalize the load. It's really liking Cauterucio 156s & 176s with some of Jeff Bartlett's 5010 pulldown powder ($8/lb too).

I was hoping to go up to Camp Perry this weekend & shoot, but it's not in the cards. There's a conventional prone 1K match up by Rock Island, IL on the 7th. I'm off (believe it or not), so I'm planning on giving Mjollnir a ride up there. I've got 300 rounds of brass to fireform, so I have no excuse to not dry fire.
rolleyes.gif

Quit wastin' time on the net & get back to that grandbaby you mope!!!!

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: speedbump ]

Len,

They're .640 for the 156VLD & .750 on the 176s. The Obermeyers did some of the T&E on the BC figures I believe.

Bob's running low right now & having minor surgery next week, so it'll be a couple of weeks for the 176s. He has some 156s on hand.... Both shoot EXTREMELY flat & buck the wind well - as you'd expect from a higher BC like that at 3,000+fps.
grin.gif

Speedbump, Geoff said you might be going to Camp Perry with them this summer. That would be a great trip. I want to go there sometime, if for nothing else just to see where the great ones have shot. Brass finder and flashole deburrer........LOL. He is a great baby. I can't wait to have Geoff build him a rifle when the time comes. I have always wanted to play with a 250 A.I. and playing with the grandson with HIS new rifle will be fun. I still am not on a first name basis with my WSM. or my new 308. The barrel appears to have FINALLY started to break in on the WSM after 81 rounds thank goodness! Been so busy really haven't got to do any load development. BUMMER! Good luck at the 1K shoot this weekend buddy. Let me know how you do!

Gary,

Couldn't make it to Ohio this weekend. I'm headin' out in a few hours to dry fire/fireform brass (some high BC grits & TP). I've been like most guys about Camp Perry - 'maybe next year, maybe next year...' Well this year is 'next year' & I'M GOIN"!
tongue.gif
I'm like you, the history & nostalgia of the trip is as magical as the chance to shoot aginst the best, IMHO.

I think Dalton really needs a flat top AR-15 & about ten 30 rounds mags + some steel targets @ 100 yards. I just wanna be sitting back in the shade watchin' when he says, "Grammmmmpaaaaaa, I need more buuuulllets!!!!!!"
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Funny you should mention a 250AI. I've been talking to Geoff about a switch barrel 250AI/Palma rifle. Palma barrel for matches through most of the summer & 250AI in a 1:8" for a trip to the hallowed PD fields of the Dakotas & coyotin' around here in the fall/winter!!!!!! What do you think???
confused.gif

I have shot them and the results are in....

EXCELLENT!

In fact, they're the most consistantly accurate bullet my rifle has ever fired. Although that isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison because they're the only bullet I've done serious work with since having the rifle rechambered and fixing an inletting problem that it always had as a 300 Win Mag.... Anyway, they shot as well as I could have hoped.

I used 99 grains of H870 which pushed them to 2978 over the chronograph on an 85 degree day. Using new Remington cases with no prep (dented necks and all), no tinkering with seating depth (OAL set at 3.60" due to magazine length) or any playing with different powder charges, they averaged .75" for three shot groups at 100 yds.

That may not seem all that impressive to the guys here shooting heavy rifles but I have plenty of excuses
wink.gif

My bench set-up leaves a lot to be desired. The crosshairs wiggling in about a 1/2" circle was as steady as I could get. I really need some decent sandbags or something....

Shooting an 8 lb rifle that kicks more than a 375 H&H, with a bruised shoulder and a swollen face that's bleeding from multiple places isn't easy either!
shocked.gif
It definately takes concentration! I was pretty proud of myself after shooting it as well as I did.

Not trying to make excuses or anything, just trying to put the results into perspective for you guys.
grin.gif

I was too time constrained (and lazy) to move the bench out to farther distances so I pretty much did all the longer range shooting from sitting position with a Harris Bi-Pod. I was able to shoot a couple MOA groups at 300 and 400 yds, although I was surprized at the group size since I didn't feel that steady. I definately need more practice with the bi-pod. This was the first time I had used one and found I had to modify my shooting positions quite a bit. With more practice I think I could become really good with it.

I was easily able to whack my 12" square gong at 500 and 600 every time when there was little wind. I could hit it at 700, but as the wind picked up a bit I was much less consistant--less than 50%. Definately not the rifle's fault, I just need more practice. And, 700 yards is a long friggen ways!

Considering that was my first time shooting at such ranges, I'm very happy with the results. I'll feel confident on deer this season at ranges far beyond what I would have passed on before.

Oh yeah, the rifle is an A-Bolt with original barrel that probably has over 1000 rounds through it. The only "accurizing mods" are a Moyer's trigger I put in but still could use some fine tuning and attacking the stock with a Dremel tool to give the free-floated barrel LOTS of space.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.