30-378, whats a loose primer pocket?

seidersjoden

I have a 30-378, after about 3 shots the primer pockets get loose to the point where when I seat them theres little to no resistance with my hand priming tool.

To me a loose pocket doesn't seem too dangerous with the bolt face pushing the primer flush with the seat, but I know it is, just want some explanation as to why it dangerous.

What qualifies as loose primer pocket?

What are the dangers?

Is there gas leakage around the primer with loose pockets and does it affect accuracy?

Thanks,
Joden

STOP SHOOTING THAT LOAD!!!!! your asking for trouble shooting that load loose primers allows gas to escape through the rifle chamber its hard on your rifle your eventually going to have a component failure and get hurt and your going to hurt somebody next to you at the range or hunting next it will be a case head separation.. "ask advice save your life"....

STOP SHOOTING THAT LOAD!!!!! your asking for trouble shooting that load loose primers allows gas to escape through the rifle chamber its hard on your rifle your eventually going to have a component failure and get hurt and your going to hurt somebody next to you at the range or hunting next it will be a case head separation.. "ask advice save your life"....

How much resistance should I feel when seating the primer?

How much resistance should I feel when seating the primer?

A good test is to place a unfired primer anvil side down on the table. Take a case and push the primer pocket down on the primer. If you can push the primer in all the way in easily. It's a good time to retire the case.

Don't think the primer pockets should be loose after just three loadings. I don't load for Weatherby, but I think they are loaded pretty hot, but still that is short pocket life. I would double check the load and make sure your not seating too close to the lands. Think Weatherby has such a long throat that you couldn't get to the lands anyway, but just having the bullet set too long might be an issue with a hot load.

I would check for usual pressure signs (flat primers, ejector marks etc.) I would think that those would be present with loose primer pockets after just a couple firings. BarrelNut has good advise about the primer test. Weaterby brass is to expensive to only get three firings.

You didn't say what your load is: please tell us.
Brass make.
Brass length, have you trimmed it.
Projectile.
COAL.
Powder.
Charge.
Primer brand and model.
Velocity you are getting.

I load plenty of wby to feel educated but not the 378/416/460 case chamberings.

Things may not be that bad but I would if I were you do some additional work.

My Load:

30-378
230g Berger Hyrid TGT bullets
50BMG powder
WTBY Brass
Federal 215 Match Primer
.016 off lands
velocity @ 3236 FPS
Case length is trimmed to 2.909
There's plenty of head space left my chamber is 2.942.

Realize its a little hot but figured Id get more firings from the brass, I'll have to lower the charge.

My Load:

30-378
230g Berger Hyrid TGT bullets
50BMG powder
WTBY Brass
Federal 215 Match Primer
.016 off lands
velocity @ 3236 FPS
Case length is trimmed to 2.909
There's plenty of head space left my chamber is 2.942.

Realize its a little hot but figured Id get more firings from the brass, I'll have to lower the charge.

If your COAL is 3.6 per book and over the 118.5 charge then, yes, back up.

What is the powder charge? My berger manual says 106.5 max 2891fps from a 26" bbl. If you are at 3236 are you shooting a 28 or 30" bbl. If your charge is 118.5 I would say there is your culprit.

What is the powder charge? My berger manual says 106.5 max 2891fps from a 26" bbl. If you are at 3236 are you shooting a 28 or 30" bbl. If your charge is 118.5 I would say there is your culprit.

I have the same berger manual, your right it is 106.5, I'm shooting 109.5. Know it's over the max, I have a 26" barrel. From forums I read going hotter was OK but I should have listened to the manual and saved money on brass. At least I wasn't hurt and the problem will be addressed. Time to buy new brass, most of the pieces are too loose.

Thanks for the info

Seiders, you stated you trim to 2.909, most manuals list 2.90. I load Weatherby brass for my 30/378 and do find it a little softer than most, but the pockets are still good after 3+ firings. Hope you find a pocket friendlier load. Good luck

I have the same berger manual, your right it is 106.5, I'm shooting 109.5. Know it's over the max, I have a 26" barrel. From forums I read going hotter was OK but I should have listened to the manual and saved money on brass. At least I wasn't hurt and the problem will be addressed. Time to buy new brass, most of the pieces are too loose.

Thanks for the info

Understood 109.5 might be a bit much I would back up a grain and see if you get better brass life. On the plus side your velocity is very high. Does accuracy suffer at 3100? If not you still have an excellent long range hunting rig. Your brass may have had some primer pocket issues.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Understood 109.5 might be a bit much I would back up a grain and see if you get better brass life. On the plus side your velocity is very high. Does accuracy suffer at 3100? If not you still have an excellent long range hunting rig. Your brass may have had some primer pocket issues.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Groups are great, that's why it's hard to go down in load but it will be safer and cheaper on brass. With the 3236fps I got .5 MOA Group at 300 yards consistently with the 230g tgt Bergers. If only lapua made brass for the 30-378...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.