30-378 caselife?

juicedcummins

I'm running a Sako trg chambered in 30-378 and was wondering how long these cases last. My load has been 122gr of h-870 for the last 500rds.[100rd lot] These cases have only been neck sized except once when I full lengthed them and trimmed. I am not new to reloading but I am new to the 30-378 with the freebore. This brass shows no sighns of presure and I've only had 1 neck split early on. How long do you guys think this brass should last?

Hi,
I did about the same as you 4 firings neck sizing only, full lengthed the fifth with a standard rcbs die. Back to neck sizing now. Starting to lose some from primer pockets. As I'm priming cases the very easy to prime brass gets a magic marker across the head, meaning.... Last Fire.

I'm about to take one case, back the load down a hair, reload, full length resizing it, checking for thinning ahead of the web, repeat until I see something I don't like. I just lost a whole pile of 5 times fired/ last 3 times FL sized match 300 Wby brass due to case head sep/thin. I thought full length sizing every time would be more consistent, well maybe if I set the dang thing up right.

That said my 30-378 cases have lived longer than my 300 Wby and I'm a bit harder on them too. But it is my own fault and not the brasses.

I couldn't see it by eye after the 2nd FLS but I have since measured some and they were 5-7 thousandths thinner just in front of the web. Now with a noticeable shiny line they are 15 thou thinner just in front of the web.

I also switched to a slightly faster powder for the last 2 firings....from RL25 to RL22. Similar vel, no marks. You think that could that be part of the problem?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.