30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer

elkaholic

Official LRH Sponsor
Hi guys.....I wanted to try out a 208 SXR on some long range meat but didn't get a chance so I loaded up 22 grains of 4198 for a muzzle velocity of 1486' and shot a small whitetail buck at just under 100 yards. My plan was to shoot him front on and recover the bullet but he spotted me and took off so I shot him through the front of the shoulders. The impact velocity was probably barely under 1400'. As the pics show, not much meat was waisted but I knocked a 50 cent piece sized hole through the offside and put him right down. This would duplicate a 1550 yard impact. The aorta was blown off the top of the heart......RichDSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

barnesuser28

Hi guys.....I wanted to try out a 208 SXR on some long range meat but didn't get a chance so I loaded up 22 grains of 4198 for a muzzle velocity of 1486' and shot a small whitetail buck at just under 100 yards. My plan was to shoot him front on and recover the bullet but he spotted me and took off so I shot him through the front of the shoulders. The impact velocity was probably barely under 1400'. As the pics show, not much meat was waisted but I knocked a 50 cent piece sized hole through the offside and put him right down. This would duplicate a 1550 yard impact. The aorta was blown off the top of the heart......RichView attachment 15035

View attachment 15036
Wow thats impressive! They fragment at that velocity right?

barnesuser28

Oh, i thought from your testing in water they fragmented at low velocity but act like a bonded at high velocity.

elkaholic

Official LRH Sponsor
Wow thats impressive! They fragment at that velocity right?
Not really; just expand! Fragmentation is probably around 2500'. The first pic is actually the entry hole. If you look closely, you can see the exit which looks a little smaller. I think this was due to the rib explosion .....Rich

elkaholic

Official LRH Sponsor
Ok, i was confused (obviously) :rolleyes:.
Not to worry. It will get worse as you get older!:D
This bullet will pretty much come unglued at above 2500', partially fragment between 2000-2500, and retain most of the weight below that with expansion down to 1300' or even lower.....Rich

Latest Classifieds