30-338 Win. Powder

Utah Shotgunner

I am putting an old target rifle back to work. Built in '73-'75 with a Hart barrel, Timney trigger on an -03 action.

Chambered in 30-338 the seller reports that it was most accurate with 4350 and 190gr SMK's.

I have some 190's and some old DuPont 4350 that I will start with but I was wondering if there might be some 'better' powders to work with now? A friend suggested Reloader 22 and Reloader 25? I have never used either of these powders.

I also have some 200gr SMK's and some Berger 210gr VLD's.

Does anyone have a powder they like with this bullet weight that meters well and provides high loading density?

Thanks,

Mike

Excuse the couch. Pictures were emailed to me.

MVC-006F.jpg

If you had some US 869 on hand it would be interesting to see how it works with the heavier bullets.

Just a suggestion for experimentation. I'm betting pressures would be lower than the 4350 class powders.

RL-25 with the heavier bullets would probably be a good get also.

HTH

I kinda like the couch. Makes the rifle stand out!

Thanks Roy. On another BBS Reloader 22 was suggested so it sounds like I'll need to look at each of these closely. I will be picking it up next week along with an XP 100 in 7mmBR.

Once I get this rifle dialed in I'll need to find a place to stretch its legs. I live in the SLC area. Know anywhere to with some distance in your neck of the woods? Work takes me to the Soda Springs area a few times a year.

Is US 869 readily available?

Utah,
I would lean towards RL-22 or even one of the 4831's for the 190's. If you know someone that shoot's the VV powders to get some to try (it is only available in 2# cans $40.00+) maybe N160 or N165.
The bore to case capacity I think would not be conducive for the use of US896 unless you shoot the real heavies. I think RL-25 may then be inplay too. Don't leave out H-1000 from consistancy point either if you can get some that guy that has VV's powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.