30-338 lapua IMO or 300 ultra imp?

stevescg80

Anyone here that can give me the numbers there getting from there custom 300 ultras or 30-338's? Wanting to build a fast twist 30 cal for shooting 210-240 bergers I will chamber the barrel myself and dies no big deal and reload so cost isn't a concern already have an action blueprinted and ready to go just need to figure out the caliber so I can order a barrel and a reamer. Any help would be appreciated!

I don't know that alot is gained by improving the 300RUM but I do know the Lapua case picks up quite a bit when improved so just based on case capacity a 30-338Lap. Imp. would hold a pretty sizable advantage over a 300RUM Imp.

Kirby Allen W/APS Rifles probably has one of, if not, the more popular 300 Lap Imp chamberings that he calls his 300AX (Allen Express). I'm not exactly sure what Kirby's 300AX has for a case capacity but I plan on finding out in the next few months because he is building me one. Big 30's shooting heavies is still my favorite. :D

I know you didn't mention the 30-338Lap Imp as one of your choices but if you are considering improving the 300RUM why not consider improving the Lapua case as well.

That was the question which has more case capacity the 30-338 improved or the 300 ultra improved I'm wanting to build a 30 cal to shoot the heavier 210 and up match bullets I already own a 338 edge that loves the 300 mk I'm lacking a long range 30 cal in the stable! Thanks B23 for the help guess I'll start running some numbers with the lapua case and get a reamer on order!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.