.30 30 160gr ftx ocl question

Sendero270

I just purchased a 30 30 and the reloading components. As stated, I'm using the hornandy 160gr ftx. Being a tube fed it's my understanding crimping the bullet is recommended. I was having trouble dialing in the crimp with rcbs roll crimp but I believe I have got it now. I think my trim on the inside of the case mouth was too deep and causing my crimp to not hold the bullet firmly. Visually I could see the crimp but when pushing down the bullet would move roughly .020 from original spot. The bullet is still in the crimping groove but is it still safe? I didn't cut the inside of the case mouth much at all and now the crimp seems to be holding firmly. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? Also if anyone has factory 30 30 leverevolution what is there ocl?

That's the same length I'm shooting for also. I normally dont crimp but without crimping, the bullet would move freely in the crimping groove area. I couldn't seem to get a firm crimp until I did a light chamfer inside the case mouth. Before I did a light chamfer I was trying a firmer crimp but would end up bulging the shoulder and case neck. I never crimp my bolt guns so this crimping method is all new to me.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? Also if anyone has factory 30 30 leverevolution what is there ocl?
No but I dont crimp my 30-30 reloads, 30-30s have really long necks, I think you will find you dont need to... just try and pull a seated bullet out.

Anyways, I have some factory leverevolution 160g the OAL is 2.543" (I avoided compressing the rubber tip) on one sample round only.

1211221144.jpg

Thanks for the replys. I just can't seem to get the crimp to hold firmly without bullet movement in the cannelure. It's not loose but will move with some effort. Seems like if I crimp firmer it bulges the case. I shot them today and things were fine. I was using hornady brass, but may try the Winchester hoping maybe it has a thicker case wall. If not it should be fine.

Seems like if I crimp firmer it bulges the case.
then your crimping too much.

If your neck tension is .0025 to .003" then you shouldnt need any crimp but thats what I would check to solve your issue... but if you still want to crimp I would buy a dedicated crimp die to controll it separately from the seating process. Roll crimp if aligned with a cannelure, taper crimp for any alignment on any bullet. Lee makes a cheap crimping die that I hear works great... (I dont crimp my 30-30s, no need).

Well I tried the Winchester brass and it did seem like it held slightly better than the hornady brass with no crimp applied. I decided on ordering the lee crimp die to add a slight crimp outside of the seating step. I just don't like how I get bullet slippage when it's seated to the cannelure. I like my bullets seated to the same length. The reloads I shot earlier didn't shoot as well as I was hoping, so I want bullet seating depth to be the same on all rounds to eliminate that from the equation.

I just don't like how I get bullet slippage when it's seated to the cannelure. I like my bullets seated to the same length
My take is your either crimping way too heavy or you dont have enough neck tension. Whats your neck tension measure?

I'm unfamiliar with measuring neck tension so I couldn't tell you that. It seems like I don't get enough crimp (bullet slipping in cannelure with slight pressure applied) to too much of a crimp (bulging of the case). I've tried adjusting die (rcbs) in small increments to get the right crimp, but it seems like not enough all the way to the point of the case starting to bulge. It seems like I don't have enough neck tension from the get go.

I'm unfamiliar with measuring neck tension so I couldn't tell you that. It seems like I don't get enough crimp (bullet slipping in cannelure with slight pressure applied) to too much of a crimp (bulging of the case). I've tried adjusting die (rcbs) in small increments to get the right crimp, but it seems like not enough all the way to the point of the case starting to bulge. It seems like I don't have enough neck tension from the get go.
Neck tension is measured by the difference between the bullet diameter and the neck diameter. You need at least .0025" to .003" of interference to not worry about crimping.
If your bullet is slipping in your case then your neck tension might be too loose.
If your bulging the case during crimping your applying too much crimp.

I would separate the process. You dont have to crimp and seat at the same time in your RCBS die if I recall (I use Redding dies...). Set your seating die up to only seat the bullet. Then measure your neck tension. (your case neck should measure about .003" bigger than it was before seating the bullet, if properly sized)

OK thanks for the info. If I understand you correctly I check outside diameter of the case neck before and after seating the bullet?

OK thanks for the info. If I understand you correctly I check outside diameter of the case neck before and after seating the bullet?
yes, if its less than .0025-.003" then you should crimp. If not you dont need to. Either way you should separate your seating and crimping operations till you figure out whats going on.

So I checked neck tension on both the hornady brass and Winchester brass. Hornady was .325 after sizing, then .326 after seating. Winchester was .327 after sizing and .3285 after seating. The Winchester definitely holds firmer while the hornady seems to have next to nothing. You can move the bullet back and forth freely with no effort in the cannelure. Is there anything you can do to the die like buff down the expander piece circled on the die so it doesn't expand as much?
20221212_164832.jpg

Recent Posts