30-284?

Some projects just don't work out no matter what you do. If you can take a step back for a little while it might help. I had a recent project go like this and I ended up throwing it on a shelf for a year before looking at it again with a fresh perspective. I went a completely differently direct with the bullet I wanted to shoot, tried a powder I wouldn't normally use in a case that size, and ended up being happy with the results.

If all else fails, run a 30/6.5 RPM reamer in that chamber and give it a go.
That's an interesting idea. Is there any similar saami or wildcat already in existence?

I've been keeping up with your progress.
I'm really shocked that the cartridge would be a "flop" and not be able to work up a good load.
The 30 cal is an inherently accurate bullet...especially the 175 SMK's you're using.
The case size... sitting between the 308 and 06 seems like a perfect fit for powder column/capacity relative to bore diameter.
Unless something is seriously wrong with the chamber, I would definitely not throw in the towel yet.
I doubt that seating depth adjustment alone would do wonders until a load shows promise and can break 1moa...but that's only my opinion.

This 30-284 was going to be my next challenge. I was anxious to hear your results.
In my mind...I just knew this cartridge would be a sweet success.
Hopefully things work out!

I've been keeping up with your progress.
I'm really shocked that the cartridge would be a "flop" and not be able to work up a good load.
The 30 cal is an inherently accurate bullet...especially the 175 SMK's you're using.
The case size... sitting between the 308 and 06 seems like a perfect fit for powder column/capacity relative to bore diameter.
Unless something is seriously wrong with the chamber, I would definitely not throw in the towel yet.
I doubt that seating depth adjustment alone would do wonders until a load shows promise and can break 1moa...but that's only my opinion.

This 30-284 was going to be my next challenge. I was anxious to hear your results.
In my mind...I just knew this cartridge would be a sweet success.
Hopefully things work out!

I'm confident the cartridge is an accurate one.

I think either the throating isn't concentric, there's something wonky happening with the original reamer throat angle and the throating reamer angle, or for some reason my annealing was not right on these cases.

I've not been annealing that long and I just use the darkened room, drill, and torch method. When I started I was annealing starline cases and it seemed to work ok, but these Peterson cases are much different. The other thing that changed from before Brad throating it to after is that I annealed those cases. I'm first going to shoot a round using cases that I've not annealed.

I'd certainly agree with the possibility of chamber concentricity and/or throat issues.
Didn't you have chamber issues from the start?
It may be "FUB'R".

I'd certainly agree with the possibility of chamber concentricity and/or throat issues.
Didn't you have chamber issues from the start?
It may be "FUB'R".

Yea the chamber and throat was incredibly rough. But, the chamber itself is concentric and it did show promise prior to the throating.

I'll get some pictures of it soon

Update.

My apparently terrible annealing is to blame for the last round of poor results. I've got to get a different torch and a more consistent method of annealing built. For some reason I didnt have this issue when I was annealing my starline '06 brass. Anyway, results are much more similar to the first session I shot prior to having it throated (and shooting with annealed brass).

I'm not sure if my velocity spreads are actually as bad as what's shown. I use a Caldwell shoot through Chrono and it was late in the day today and very bright. I haven't had it all that long so I don't know all the tricks for getting the most accurate results. I can say with certainty that the 3000+ readings are not correct.

I'm glad it can do better than 1moa. When cleaning, there was a boat load of copper in there, so hopefully the throat will continue to smooth out and improve with further shooting.

Attachments

• IMG_20210814_214423052~2.jpg
    IMG_20210814_214423052~2.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20210814_214409385.jpg
    IMG_20210814_214409385.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20210814_214412767.jpg
    IMG_20210814_214412767.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20210814_214415169.jpg
    IMG_20210814_214415169.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20210814_214418078.jpg
    IMG_20210814_214418078.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 56
Ah... That's looking good.
Happy to see things coming together.
Looks like one right flyer per group and often was on shot #1. Is that you or cold bore?

It could be me. I've been shooting a steel butt plate 45-90 a whole lot recently, so I've had to concentrate quite a bit on trigger control and not flinching.

I shot these round robin, so the first string of shots consist of the ones marked "1".

Tac-O
In your quest, don't sell the flat base bullets short, I know everyone likes high B.C, long-range, and BT's bullets... but... you might be surprised what the FB's could turn up for you in the accracy dept. Just a thought. Good luck.

Tac-O
In your quest, don't sell the flat base bullets short, I know everyone likes high B.C, long-range, and BT's bullets... but... you might be surprised what the FB's could turn up for you in the accracy dept. Just a thought. Good luck.

Yup! I usually do shoot flat bases because I read when I started loading that they're easier to find an accurate load for.

I just started shooting these SMKs because I wanted to try out a match bullet. They're unsurprisingly more consistent than my Speer hot cors

Yup! I usually do shoot flat bases because I read when I started loading that they're easier to find an accurate load for.

I just started shooting these SMKs because I wanted to try out a match bullet. They're unsurprisingly more consistent than my Speer hot cors
I'm like you and 436...I keep a stash of hot cor for 6.5's and 30's.
That buck in my avatar pic was shot with 140 hot cor @ 2960fps from 6.5-284 at 260 yards on a steady fast paced walk with its head down on a hot doe trail. He was in long grass and about to enter a thicket so a shoulder shot was taken, buck dropped and bullet exited after penetrating both high shoulders.
I've always thought of them as a poor mans partition! LOL

I'm like you and 436...I keep a stash of hot cor for 6.5's and 30's.
That buck in my avatar pic was shot with 140 hot cor @ 2960fps from 6.5-284 at 260 yards on a steady fast paced walk with its head down on a hot doe trail. He was in long grass and about to enter a thicket so a shoulder shot was taken, buck dropped and bullet exited after penetrating both high shoulders.
I've always thought of them as a poor mans partition! LOL

Do you have any problems with the hot cor fouling the bore really quickly?

I noticed when I started shooting them out of my '06 it fouled more quickly than when I shot Sierras but I still got lots of rounds of submoa groups before having to clean.

I tried shooting some hot cors a couple of times this week out of this gun and it fouls up my lands very very quickly and it took absolutely forever to get it all cleaned out. I'm thinking I won't be able to use these bullets in this barrel unless I want to clean every 5 rounds

Last edited: