30-06 which scope?

G

I'm looking for a scope for my '06.It is my all around rifle and I'll carry it 95% of the time.My choices are the 1.5-6 x42 30mm Kahles or S&B or the 3-12 x56 Kahles or the 2.5-10 x56 S&B.I'm looking for the best optics and light gathering ability.I'll use it from thick timber to open fields.I'm kinda leaning toward one of the 56 mm scopes to give me maximum light at dark30,(a nice buck appeared at last shooting light this past season (411yds) but I didn't have enough scope to make the shot confidently,so I passed it up)My 50+ yr.old eyes aren't as sharp as they once were,so I'd like to have all the advantage I can get.I'm not concerened with weight and price really isn't an issue.Any input would be appreciated,and please NO Leupolds. thanks

If the check book will allow it I would go with the S&B , its by far the clearest and brightest scope I have ever looked through.
But generaly speeking out of the Swaro's , Kahles , S&B , IOR , all will let you see right up till last LEGAL shooting time.
I can easely hunt all night with a clear ski and half moon with my Swaro.

That buck I couldn't shoot was in the mts. of WVa.Still 10 min legal time left but down in the hollow I couldn't pull him out.I kinda like the looks of the Kahles 2.5-10 x 50.What do you think about it?

Light gathering has importance, but just as important in my opion (for the type of shot that you described)is resolution. Choosing between the scopes that you listed S&B is much higher on the food chain.I will secound the recomendation of Nightforce as has allready been recomended.

I've never had a chance to look at NXS.I prefer the European fast focus system.It seems to work better for my eyes.Does NXS have the same type fast focus?

the Kahles is just as good of glass as its Swaro brothers. the 2.5-10x50 should be great for gathering light , although bumping the OBJ lens to 56mm and making sure that it has a 30mm tube will certainly make things a little brighter.
the big factor is the power , no mater whos glass you use your going to loose some light transfer to your eye as the power ring is turned up.
with my Swaro set at between 4-6 power I can see things way better through the scope than I can without it.

I don't know how a Khales scope compairs to other top end scopes, because I have never tried one. Although I have tried Khales binoculars and they are not equal to the top end binoculars.

Kahles are a good reliable scope withy far better than average optics. Opticaly on par with the nightforce NXS, which isn't on par with the S&B, Zeiss or Swarovski's.
Current pick of the bunch seems to be the S&B zenith series.
I'm not convinced that 56mm Obj is that much better than a 50mm Obj.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts